Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farewell

• 06-01-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

.....to George Hook.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

cya George, like his newstalk show so in that respect I'll be sad to see him go but not for his rugby punditry

Met him once before and he was an utter gent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    ??
    He's retiring after the RWC so I'm getting my goodbyes in before he changes his mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's ages away though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

It's finally happening!
    Good riddance to you George, you odious little man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Miss you already George ♥ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Is it correct that ROG may replace him in the studio? I'd be happy with that, I like ROG's analysis, and at least ROG is not deliberately negative/provocative as his modus operandi. Him & Horgan go well together IMO. A bit of Munster & Leinster niggle, but not in a tedious boards.ie kind of way...

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Remember, no abuse of players / pundits / commentators as per the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I perked up when I saw the headline.....but he won't be going for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jesus jaco don't frighten us like that, I thought you were leaving! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm going to get ripped here, but i like him....on the radio.

I've said it before - if you look at him on tv, he is slouched and has a permanent frown on his face, which alters his tone of voice. Compare this to him on the radio where he is upright and generally in good form - some of the banter with his guests is great (ripping the piss out of dave mcintyre on the friday afternoon show is a personal favourite of mine).

The whole carry on with him on RTE is basically a charade, in which he portrays himself as someone who believes rugby nowadays is rubbish, and that it only was a decent game when he was a lad.

I can take him or leave him on RTE but on Newstalk i do enjoy the oul git!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm sorry but a pundit announcing his intention to retire after the World Cup? FFS.

Typical of Hook in recent years, his punditry has long since been one-dimensional and ill-informed, more about promoting the Hooky brand than any serious analysis of the game. Is he hoping RTE will do a ROG-style tribute to him?

But on another note, the likely candidates to replace him on the panel are Sheahan and Quinlan, so I'd almost be inclined to get a petition going to keep George on...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tremenjus for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

But on another note, the likely candidates to replace him on the panel are Sheahan and Quinlan, so I'd almost be inclined to get a petition going to keep George on...

Oh shít. So it's one of those 'be careful what you wish for situations'.

To be honest, I can't see it being Sheehan or Quinlan. They're both too raw and generally bad at punditry. It would be great if Eddie was brought in, though it's probably unlikely. In saying that, there seems to be a media push recently to get EOS more involved in the game here in Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As mfceiling said, he's actually quite good on the radio. I tune in most days on the way home from work, his Michael Graham shows, and the Friday Right Hook are my highlights. I've got a fair bit of time for him there.

Far less so, his rugby "contribution". I won't miss him there.

I wonder who they'll get in in his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

As mfceiling said, he's actually quite good on the radio. I tune in most days on the way home from work, his Michael Graham shows, and the Friday Right Hook are my highlights. I've got a fair bit of time for him there.

Far less so, his rugby "contribution". I won't miss him there.

I wonder who they'll get in in his place.

Time for a poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jesus jaco don't frighten us like that, I thought you were leaving! :eek:

This was also my first thought! I was, on the whole, relieved when I heard it was Hook :p

Maybe Jaco can take Hook's place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

cya George, like his newstalk show so in that respect I'll be sad to see him go but not for his rugby punditry

Met him once before and he was an utter gent

spot on , don't like his rugby sterotypical punditry - but in person , a gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Anyone I've known who's meet him have nothing but nice things to say about him but I find both his punditry and radio show just to be a load of hot air and guff. I kinda get the impression that he seems to know this at least at some level though, and hey, FairPlay to the guy for making a living off it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's finally happening!
    Good riddance to you George, you odious little man.

Little? Are you the size of an elephant? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭fitz

Bit of a wait.
    Hopefully it'll mean a full shakeup of RTE's rugby coverage.

Bring on the Shaggy/ROG/O'Shea panel chaired by Joanne Cantwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Got an awful fright there thinking he had passed away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Time for a poll!

How many options of "Axel Foley" should we have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Any one of ROG, Horgan or EOS replacing him would be nice. Or two of them and send popey down to the touch line.

George is staying on the radio til 2016, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Any one of ROG, Horgan or EOS replacing him would be nice. Or two of them and send popey down to the touch line.

George is staying on the radio til 2016, isn't he?

what about BOD to replace him? I'm sure RTE would want him though he's always struck me as a good fit for Sky's rugby.

I listen to the right hook less and less, he always gives off this air of false knowledge on everything he's talking about while at the same time you can hear him shuffling the notes his researchers have made.

Plus if i want to get views on American politics and all things america i'll tune into an american radio station, though i do enjoy when he does his 'america' slots and ramps up his wannabe yank twang.

Still beats RTE radio though!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

bamboozle wrote: »
    what about BOD to replace him? I'm sure RTE would want him though he's always struck me as a good fit for Sky's rugby.

I listen to the right hook less and less, he always gives off this air of false knowledge on everything he's talking about while at the same time you can hear him shuffling the notes his researchers have made.

Plus if i want to get views on American politics and all things america i'll tune into an american radio station, though i do enjoy when he does his 'america' slots and ramps up his wannabe yank twang.

Still beats RTE radio though!

I think I read somewhere that when BOD was doing punditry in the Aviva for Sky a couple of years back they found him far too technical in his analysis. They weren't big fans apparently.

This could all be complete nonsense given it's based on something I *think* I read on the internet a long time ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I suspect that this announcement is to stave off any possible 'early retirement' he may be offered. By naming a date it makes it difficult for either station to replace him before those dates.

His radio show can be both good and profoundly irritating. He has a terrible habit of starting a question, meandering around for a bit and trailing off into meaningless clichés before allowing his guest to speak. It often seems as if he's forgotten the question before he's finished asking it and makes up for it by waffling to a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Good riddance. He's a clown. I don't care if he is (or isn't - I've heard both) a nice man in person. He is a disgrace as a pundit on the national broadcaster and does significant damage to both the image and knowledge of rugby for the average punter. Hopefully he takes McGurk with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

DeDoc wrote: »
    Good riddance. He's a clown. I don't care if he is (or isn't - I've heard both) a nice man in person. He is a disgrace as a pundit on the national broadcaster and does significant damage to both the image and knowledge of rugby for the average punter. Hopefully he takes McGurk with him.

This x 1 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Will genuinely miss him.

Will not miss the misinformation and Hook-isms spouted as fact by casual fans though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement