Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm not a Dunboyne baby myself (Bessboro 1974)- but I'd be happy to tag along and if I can help in any way I'd be more than happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kleo

Hi
    Yea , I was there in nov78 to march79...::have never wanted to go back but my son is asking questions about the place....he has a family of his own, 2boys and and wee girl..but wants to know more about Dunboyne and Stamullen ....he knows that is where he spent a few months of his early childhood....

How can you explain any of this ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 33 junemay

I would also like to go back if a few people were going. Since being there in 1976/77, I haven't even passed through the village of Dunboyne, let alone been able to think of visiting the convent. I'm not in the ireland though so will need some notice to book a flight etc. Any preferences for dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kittyok

I was in Dunboyne late 89 early 90
    I just reunited with my son after 23 years
    we are building a relationship I was so damaged from giving him up I never had anymore children
    often think of the girls in Dunboyne with me Liz maryanne maura and many others ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Hi All

As someone who was in SDunboyne in 1974 I am shocked that the place was still in operation in 1990. I went back to Dunboyne in 2002, when it was a hostel for immigrants. The place was unkempt in comparison to when it was a convent. I often wonder do hotel guests know what went on there and the pain so many people went through behind those walls, most of the time without family support or anyone to open up to.

I reconnected with my daughter 11 years ago when she was 28. We have kept in touch via email and met twice.

I am not sure I want to go back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 eanor

Hello All,

Girls through your heartbreak and loss, you have brought so much joy and fullness to my home and many more. Thanks so much.
    My son was born to a girl in Dunboyne ( Holles Street) 1989. I know he feels a loss deep inside but would fear rejection if he tried to make contact with his natural mother. When he arrived he had a little blue teddy.
    He has grown into a fine young man.

Hi eanor..
    After reading your post I would like to say to the biggest "thank you "....Your words mean so much to so many BM who have for years wondererd if the choice they made (and most did not have one) and the heartbreaking loss they suffered was ever understood by their babies new AMums....you have shown me that it was and for that I am forever grateful.....as for your son, I wish him all the best in his search for his BM, but I know that what ever happens he is lucky to have a Mum like you ......xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Breda Kelly

I was there from dec 1972 to feb 1973

• Registered Users Posts: 29 survived

Happy new year to all. May 2014 be good to everyone and filled with health and happiness x

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

eanor wrote: »
    Hello All,

Girls through your heartbreak and loss, you have brought so much joy and fullness to my home and many more. Thanks so much.
    My son was born to a girl in Dunboyne ( Holles Street) 1989. I know he feels a loss deep inside but would fear rejection if he tried to make contact with his natural mother. When he arrived he had a little blue teddy.
    He has grown into a fine young man.

Little blue teddies could be bought in the shop in holles street, if we had money, most of us got them for our babies, i still have my sons...Thank you for such kind words....your sons a very lucky youngman to have a mam like you...i wish you and yours every best wish xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Hi Ladies...Happy 2014 to you all, every blessing for the new year..so my question is
    Are we going to meet up in Dunboyne...anyone interested in organising a date ..maybe organising it with the hotel...????
    Please pm me if your interested as Im conscious not to post a date online for confidentiality and privacy for us ladies

Mazdoll

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hi,
    I've posted in this forum before - I lived near St Patrick's as a child - but I do not have any direct experience with adoption and I hope you do not mind me posting.

I wish you all the best for 2014 and onwards. I see you are possibly planning a group visit to Dunboyne and wish you the very best with this. I am just posting here to let you know how much this has probably changed since you were there as young women. Even down to the landscape around it - it now has a big luxurious (for want of a better word) driveway and gardens all around it. The outside has been painted which I imagine is different from the exterior when you were there. Inside it is done up with very glamorous decor as you would expect of a hotel...

So what I am saying is just to prepare yourself (for whatever feelings you expect/want) that it may be different from how you remember it and you may experience different feelings from that which you expect.

Apologies again, I hope I am not intruding, and also you may all be aware and prepared for this already but I feel it would be remiss of me not to tell you about it now knowing what I know... (I live near there and have attended a wedding there).

Again, the very best going forward. I think you were all very brave - keeping your baby/giving your baby for adoption - for all that you have been through.

Amdub

Ps. All that I said above aside, if you do go maybe you would think about having an afternoon tea or something there, and just sit and talk about your experiences taking into account the changes the building has been through...just like your lives.

Okay shut up now amdublin and just let the ladies decide!
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 29 teddybug

Hello again just wishing everyone a great new year ,hope all ur wishes come true for 2014,wathever they may be
    how does sometime in feb this year sound for a reunion back to dunboyne ,we could book rooms in the hotel that used to
    be mother and baby home ,thats if everyones ok with that?>
    please let me know and i will arrange it ,a date that is suitable for all .Thanks keep in touch

Hi teddy bug I sent us pm I think:-) count me in.

count me in too. I have sent a PM.

junemay

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eanor

Mazdoll wrote: »
    Little blue teddies could be bought in the shop in holles street, if we had money, most of us got them for our babies, i still have my sons...Thank you for such kind words....your sons a very lucky youngman to have a mam like you...i wish you and yours every best wish xx

Thanks Mazdoll,
    It is nice to have the little blue teddy, and a little sad to think more little babies came with the same teddy if you can understand that. My son was born in August 1989. I send you all warm wishes for your trip back to Dunboyne and hope it makes you feel very close and strong together. Remember ye are really Great Women so Heads High. Eanor

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ENERGYSTAR

Hi, I'm very new this. Just watched the Late Late Show, hence me writing this post. I was born in as far as I'm aware in the "Good Shepherd Convent", Dunboyne Co Meath. I was born on 21.07.1971 (I'm Female). From the very few details I have, my birth mother lived with her uncle/ uncles & grandmother (who was a school mistress). She was sent to this place to have me & get me adopted. From what I've heard my birth mum was a nurse.

hello to all the girls who replied to the message re getting together for reunion to dunboyne .Just to let you know,i got a message from the manager of the hotel dunboyne castle,she said she would be delighted to welcome us all to stay and to let her know when,so i am going to email her to see what availability there is around 17 or 18 sept.So i will get back to this forum and let you all know whats what and anyone whos ok with them dates can let me know ok

Thanks teddybug, those dates would be good for me

Great junemay,now to gather a few more ladies to go,so if you r in contact with any of the girls you could sound them out
    look forward to meetin you soon ,take care

• Advertisement

ladies if any of you are still visiting this forum and are interested in meetin up in dunboyne soon you can pm me if you like bcause am organising it and need to get the numbers to book a night so would love to meet up with as many of you as possible and have a chat or just write on the fourm if you wish, look forward to hearing from you soon . Take care

Thanks teddybug count me in keep me posted thanks. chat you soon

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

hi MaryMagdalene i was in dunboyne in late 1985 and gave birth to my daughter in february 1986 in holles street hospital dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

i am interested in the trip to dunboynne count me in

When were you thinking of going ?....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I think the plan is to meet in September ...

ladies if your talking about the trip back to dunboyne its on 17 , 18 feb this year, hope yous can come .just post on this page or pm me if you like ......

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

My birth mother was sent to dunboyne
    I was born in march 1980
    I would like to make contact with anyone who may have known her
    Anyone in at that time (I can provide more details if there are any 1980 women here ) thanks so much xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Elizvonne

Hi all Barndos are running a bithmothers course commencing 7th April. I partipated in course a couple of years and found it great. Addresses many of the issues that we should have dealt with when we lost our babies to adoption originally x

Advertisement