Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family board game

Options
  • 30-12-2013 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Looking to buy a board game for the family to enjoy over the next few days any recommendations. Is for 2 Adults and 2 kids 8 and 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

If you're looking for something more readily available then you could do worse than Game of Life or something similar.
    Payday 1994 version and another old classic called 13 Dead End Drive (both available on ebay) are my personal favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

rosiem wrote: »
    Looking to buy a board game for the family to enjoy over the next few days any recommendations. Is for 2 Adults and 2 kids 8 and 10.

Cranium. Far as I know it's on sale for cheap in Argos and it's AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Articulate is brilliant some of the categories may be a little hard for the 8 year old but if you give them a couple of extra passes id say theyll be fine. I would also think some of the categories in cranium would be difficult but its an excellant game and im pretty sure you can buy a kiddies version. In the adults version they wouldnt be able for the red and yellow categories.
    Pictureka is also excellant and definately suitable for all ages its basically a big version of wheres wally only your looking for a specific picture ir categories like toes and food etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Monopoly?

Always great craic and lasts for ages. I always have good memories of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Try Labyrinth - fantastic game. Really gets the mind thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

We got Trivial Pursuit Family Edition this Christmas and I have to say it has been very popular. 2 sets of questions, 1 for kids and 1 for adults, and some of the kids questions are testing !!! Rules are a little different than regular Trivial Pursuit but still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Thanks for all the ideas went for game of life fame edition as it was reduced to 9.99 in Smyths and it was a huge success. Will keep an eye out for some of the other games mentioned would like to build up a bit of a collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My older lads 8 and 10 got pictionary for Christmas and they seemed to like that, playing with their granddad and us, and even their 5 year old brother had a crack at it. Kids and Adult cards so plays fairly well.

Few other games from this thread I will probably get for them/me at some point. Cranium and Articulate both look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

King of Tokyo is a great game that I taught to my 10 yo girl and she loves it.

I had about 6 playing it over Xmas and she loved the game even more.

I'll be introducing her to a few more in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

UpWords - a fun stackable scrabble game with easier scoring counts

upwords.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Found journey through Europe in a wardrobe at home from my own childhood and it has proved to be a great success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Rosiem my godson got What Logo Am I for Christmas we all had great craic playing it, I even went out and bought it as my nephew 10 yrs missed out on the game he wasn't there and I said I would buy it and we have a games night when he stayed over, we'd great craic again,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emmigrunt

I came across 30 seconds a few weeks ago on a weekend away with a group. It's an Irish edition and very up to date. Great for a family or group to play over Christmas. Anomia is a great word game to play in a group too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Settlers of Catan

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Scattergories
    /thread

Anyone have any experience with The Chase board game? Would it do for Xmas family games? We normally have Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Taboo (my favorite) etc. We're all fans (lies, just me and the mother) of The Chase and wondering if its worth picking up the board game. We had Who wants to be a millionaire, weakest link etc years ago an they were all crap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ticket to Ride is the best. It's less complicated than Monopoly and its counter parts, its enjoyable even if you lose, its much quicker to play through (circa 40 mins), its easy to pick up and play (even for kids), and adults alike will love the strategic planning elements of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

emmigrunt wrote: »
    I came across 30 seconds a few weeks ago on a weekend away with a group. It's an Irish edition and very up to date. Great for a family or group to play over Christmas. Anomia is a great word game to play in a group too.

I was thinking of picking this up for playing over Christmas but it seems very similar to Articulate which one of is already has. Sure I might give it a whirl anyway, it would be nice to have the Irish version :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Rachiee wrote: »
    Articulate is brilliant some of the categories may be a little hard for the 8 year old but if you give them a couple of extra passes id say theyll be fine. I would also think some of the categories in cranium would be difficult but its an excellant game and im pretty sure you can buy a kiddies version. In the adults version they wouldnt be able for the red and yellow categories.
    Pictureka is also excellant and definately suitable for all ages its basically a big version of wheres wally only your looking for a specific picture ir categories like toes and food etc.

I adore Articulate but can confirm that it is an adult's game. I have played it with 12 year olds who were struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

Got Dobble in Eason last week for €15 and my 6 yo loves it even more than King of Tokyo.
    It's a card game game you can play with 5 variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I played Bananagrams for the first time this week. Very much recommend it!

http://www.bananagrams.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Managed to play qwirlkle with a 6yr old today he made some mistakes but the concept is pretty much matching so grasped that fairly quick and loved it!

Advertisement