Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using PolarStars in Ireland?

• 02-12-2013 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone any experience using these in Ireland? In terms of sites allowing/disallowing them mainly.

I have the means to have the tank filled, and I can use a tourney lock to prevent me adjusting the PSI in game, and besides that you get 1J nozzles that prevent it from going over. It's pretty much the same as having a systema or any number of AEGs with the quick spring change feature.

I just don't want to fork out the dough and find out most sites/events have them banned or if there are any legal issues.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Hey

I think you are probably better off (for a quicker response) contacting sites directly about the use of the Polarstar.

Just a side note when I was checking information on them they will still shoot over even with the 1 joule nozzle. The air supply regulator needs to be fine tuned to get it under the joule. And then like you mentioned it has to be locked off or an anti tamper seal put on after the site has chronoed it.

Would of loved to get a set up myself but getting tanks filled within a reasonable distance from my home was where the plan fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

A possible suggestion to those of you old enough to remember the Soda Stream
    It came with a returnable CO2 cylinder and if fitted with a suitable regulator and a flexible pipe it could be adapted as the power source that could be easily got from a selection of shops (Dunnes, Tesco etc)

DeBurca wrote: »
    It came with a returnable CO2 cylinder and if fitted with a suitable regulator and a flexible pipe it could be adapted as the power source that could be easily got from a selection of shops (Dunnes, Tesco etc)

Nice idea, but these are not meant to be operated on C02. Only HPA (clean and dry).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

DeBurca wrote: »

Really miss Soda Stream, Cola was my favourite flavour and getting the right mix was pure engineering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I just had one of those lotto moments when all your numbers come out and then you realise you never bought the ticket!!
    A polarstar with a ready source of power ( hearts pumping a mile a minute) thanks to deburca
    And then .....
    Rooky with his mass of knowledge ( I assume you also thought of this and explored that avenue, if you did fair play) brings me back to earth with logical and correct answer

On a different note, if these pass the chrono at inspection why should a site stop you from using them? Cos they could be changed? Are people really that desperate to break the 328?

• Advertisement

Sorry mate. C02 isn't a dry gas and the PS needs no moisture at all.
    You can get a hand pump to fill your own tanks. A good one costs about £400+ sterling, but you also need an air dryer attachment to remove the moisture build up as you pump it.
    You need at least 3000psi to run the PS which is apparantly very difficult to pump by hand once you get beyound 2000psi.
    You could by your own clean air compressor but even a cheaper one will run you about £4000 to £5000 sterling!!
    But if I win the lotto myself it is on my list:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Rooky1 wrote: »
    Sorry mate. C02 isn't a dry gas and the PS needs no moisture at all.
    You can get a hand pump to fill your own tanks. A good one costs about £400+ sterling, but you also need an air dryer attachment to remove the moisture build up as you pump it.
    You need at least 3000psi to run the PS which is apparantly very difficult to pump by hand once you get beyound 2000psi.
    You could by your own clean air compressor but even a cheaper one will run you about £4000 to £5000 sterling!!
    But if I win the lotto myself it is on my list:-)

Cheers mate, you have done alot of research into this, haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Jimkil

Got a P* delivered a few weeks ago.
    It has taken awhile to get all the necessary parts together. After putting it together its very sweet. Some tests at home and so far I impressed.
    Yes you can fine tune it. I got it to 327.8 There is some fluctuations in fps due to BBs rof and air pressure. The nose is very different. I got a tournament lock on the reg so their is no reason why any site should have a issue. The plan is to arrive put a mag trough my own crono make some fine adjustments and then go to the site and crono. If the site wants they can put a cable tie on the lock. Only issue is the weight of the bottle. As for the cost. If I added up all the repairs to gearboxes over the years the would have well paid for it. Also haven seen it I figure I could source some parts here to reduce the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

It's just my own opinion, but either it's under 100m/s or it isn't.

If it's under, there should be no problem using it (just like any other airsoft) and if it's locked, sealed and/or cabletied any other player who wants to complain about it can refer to the marshals who passed it.

What I don't understand is why someone would go to the trouble, expense and extra weight to use something which can't legally be any more powerful than any other airsoft device?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

OzCam wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why someone would go to the trouble, expense and extra weight to use something which can't legally be any more powerful than any other airsoft device?

Welcome to airsoft, please check in all logical reasoning, and deposit all monies here. Have a nice day :)

In all sincerity many products exist that are more expensive and offer seemingly no benefit over 'X' product, but the difference is that you want them. Take the likes of the Inokatsu 1911 - full steel, stupid money, more weight, and 'no extra power'? Nova-builds - serious money, additional weight over the plastic TM-frames, and for what? Again, seemingly no benefit on the surface...but if you have to justify it, the product probably isn't for you :D

P* is an interesting one - superior trigger response, and an ability to fine-tune ROF and FPS is beneficial regardless of your power limit, however it is just less beneficial than in countries where different sites have different limits.
    The problem with the P* regarding our power limit is BB's - you have to chrono with the BB's you're going to use, or otherwise your gun could be illegal. If you chrono with 0.20g's in a P* at 327.001 and then whack in some 0.25g or 0.3g, thanks to energy creep you will have an illegal firearm in-play on-site that has passed the chrono.

Gun's like the P* require trust, and luckily the whole of airsoft is based on honour. No sense in banning the gun...just watch the player closely, and if they're not playing by the rules (including being cheeky with messing with power levels), then ban them. Cheaters cheat regardless of the equipment...some equipment just allows them to cheat better :D

• Advertisement

Inari wrote: »
    In all sincerity many products exist that are more expensive and offer seemingly no benefit over 'X' product, but the difference is that you want them. Take the likes of the Inokatsu 1911 - full steel, stupid money, more weight, and 'no extra power'? Nova-builds - serious money, additional weight over the plastic TM-frames, and for what? Again, seemingly no benefit on the surface...but if you have to justify it, the product probably isn't for you :D

<sigh>And here's me, trying to decide whether to go for a deal on a Bergan or not...

OT, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Regardless of FPS limit, the P* has a many advantages: reliability, longevity, almost no maintenance, adjustable ROF, Burst Settings, Nozzle-offset etc etc, consistency, trigger response and on it goes. It allows you to get the most out of our silly power limit, with very little fiddling or tweaking needed.

I've owned so many different AEGs and have sunk so much money into GBs, if I could have all that money back I'd be able to but two P* rigs.

As for chonoing, surely you can use the weight you intend to use, as you can calculate what FPS a .3g BB with 1J of energy would fire at.

Anyway, it's probably best to ask the site owner's themselves as has been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've owned so many different AEGs and have sunk so much money into GBs, if I could have all that money back I'd be able to but two P* rigs.

And then you would still have to sink a not inconsiderable sum of money into the ability to refill, if you didn't already know someone with the necessary equipment willing to refill for you for pennies. Which is of course a false economy.

Given how much maintenance that GBBs require - what makes people think that PolarStar will really be that much different on balance? You still have to worry about seals, tanks, moving parts that will simply have a different point of contact for wear & tear, perished tubing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I'm just not sold on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Currently when im home and when diving it costs me about 5-7 the odd time 10 euro to get my 12L tank filled to 200 bar.

Also some dive shops if your going for fills may not fill a tank if it has no guidelines on it or tested to the same standard as dive tanks.

I love the idea of it but think in the long run it may be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

Inari wrote: »

you have to chrono with the BB's you're going to use, or otherwise your gun could be illegal. If you chrono with 0.20g's in a P* at 327.001 and then whack in some 0.25g or 0.3g, thanks to energy creep you will have an illegal firearm in-play on-site that has passed the chrono.
    Sorry if this is OT, but if you chrono with .2 and then decide to use a heavier BB the FPS/MPS of that BB is going to be less as it it a heavier projectile and thus needing more energy to travel. Have I be operating under a false assumption all these years and do I need to issue an apology to everyone I hit a few weeks ago when I used .3s?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You would think at this stage the obsession with getting and running at 327fps every single shot ,would have died jayus ,
    Why the need for 40-60 rps at 327fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Gatling wrote: »
    You would think at this stage the obsession with getting and running at 327fps every single shot ,would have died jayus ,

I have to agree but thats all u here on sites these days with all the new guys.Whats the fps and whats the rof.Neither is any good if u don't have range(my opinion).I prefer a 200fps gun with crazy range.I skirmish with a guy his m4 is 240fps but out ranges nearly everything else on site due to the tk twist barrel and at the end of the day if u have good range u have the upper hand and u only need 1 bb to get a hit.

r0n0c wrote: »
    Sorry if this is OT, but if you chrono with .2 and then decide to use a heavier BB the FPS/MPS of that BB is going to be less as it it a heavier projectile and thus needing more energy to travel. Have I be operating under a false assumption all these years and do I need to issue an apology to everyone I hit a few weeks ago when I used .3s?

Theoretically, yes but (most of the time, in most guns) using a heavier BB only makes a very small difference to the velocity unless you go to .40 or something. There's also the problem that the other BBs may be a different size, almost certainly will be if a different brand, or at least different enough to affect the journey down the barrel. So, in practice it's complicated. You might lose 2 or 3 m/s, but you're unlikely to lose 19.

If you're using .25s, you need to be shooting around 89m/s to stay under 1J. Using .30s you need to be shooting 81m/s. The gun doesn't know or care about the law so it doesn't automatically compensate.

As always, check out the Airsoft Trajectory Project for everything you ever wanted to know about weight v range v accuracy, but were afraid to ask.

The other way of looking at it is this: if you want to stay under 1J then the velocity of your AEG limits your BB weight. For example, my #1 AUG shoots around 86m/s average. That limits me to .2 and .25 (which is what I use), with plenty of headroom. If I put .3s in it and it shoots at 84, I'm going to be over the limit.

Nuisance, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Interesting thread (U.S.) on the subject here...
    http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Polarstars-banned-t269452.html

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Lemming wrote: »
    And then you would still have to sink a not inconsiderable sum of money into the ability to refill, if you didn't already know someone with the necessary equipment willing to refill for you for pennies. Which is of course a false economy.

Given how much maintenance that GBBs require - what makes people think that PolarStar will really be that much different on balance? You still have to worry about seals, tanks, moving parts that will simply have a different point of contact for wear & tear, perished tubing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, I'm just not sold on it.

I have the means to get a tank filled for free, the only cost would be driving, but seeing as a tank can last 1000s of rounds, I don't think it's an issue.

I don't see how GBB maintenance is relevant, a P* is a completely different system, with pretty much only 2 moving parts, from everything I have read they don't need any maintenance for 10,000s of rounds. Besides, I do feck-all maintenance on my WE G39 (second hand) and it runs like a champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just had a quick look there, they are standard paintball tanks. Any paintball site running HPA will be able to fill one.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just had a quick look there, they are standard paintball tanks. Any paintball site running HPA will be able to fill one.

Very true, but that in itself is a big downside. Most guys wouldn't have a local paintball site and it is still more running around to get a tank filled before going to a skirmish.
    For me personally I would want my own way of filling the tank before I could consider buying this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gatling wrote: »

I think when you get a rifle that shoots consistent FPS, you notice the difference.

My DTW fires at a variance of + or - 2 fps. That's a stable platform for me to get the most out or my range and accuracy.

I would have agreed a few years ago, but then I got my guns firing at stable FPS' and it provides a MUCH better base to operate from

Advertisement