Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N4 Upgrade. Collooney to Castlebaldwin

Options
  • 19-12-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

So I heard this morning on Ocean FM that this is finnaly going ahead, only heard a snipet, something along the lines of 6 months, taking 5-6 years, and Duel Carriageway, also spotted a headline on The Weekender saying it was going ahead as well. Searching on the internet, I can find no news on it, nor can I see anything on the above websites, anyone hear or read anythin on this today, or have any links to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Searching on the internet, I can find no news on it, nor can I see anything on the above websites, anyone hear or read anythin on this today, or have any links to it?

That's because it has not been confirmed. What was said on ocean was by the action group and their view is that progress will be made as you pointed out, but has not been officially announced yet.

Also it has many more stages to go through yet before construction starts. The construction will be about a year, so it looks like four to five years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wellieboot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

There's planning notices up for it, seen them along the kilmorgan road

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Looking at those links, its a shame the that the only roundabouts could have been at just at Summerhill School (sligo town end), and at Castlebaldwin. With the exsisting slip roads at Caltragh, Carrarow, Balisidare, a new one at Colloney, and one or two between there and Castlebaldwin, it would have given more reason for the entire 25-30km to be regraded to motorway, considering the exsisting section has already been built to this standard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This new road will be a "2+2" type dual carriageway which means
    that there will be two lanes separated by a wire rope barrier and no hard shoulder - like on the N4 Roosky-Dromod bypass - so it won't be able to be designated as a motorway as it is not motorway standard.

This project will remove the last substandard stretch of N4 between Longford and Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Nothing wrong with the road, a lot worse ones around the country and I think this is a massive waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

thebuzz wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the road, a lot worse ones around the country and I think this is a massive waste of money.

It's brutal. For the main Dublin -> Sligo road it's a disgrace.

Are you gettin it mixes with some other road by any chance?

• Advertisement

I always thought the N17 just outside Sligo was the worse in the country, or even the Island, but that N4 section is probably just about one of the worse I have been on, hate driving it, even in the best of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

What? Are you kidding??

Every time I drive it I think to myself that you'd be embarrassed to call this a Main Road in a 3rd world country.

Sligo-Enniskillen should be sorted next.

What? Are you kidding??

Every time I drive it I think to myself that you'd be embarrassed to call this a Main Road in a 3rd world country.

Not really sure where they could improve it from Sligo to Manorhamilton any further considering the terrain, but eitherside of Glenfarm is definatly quite sketchy.

I did raise the question once re the NI side of the road, although think the response was to it never being done was down to the troubles. Hopefully improvments in the peace process might change that, as it is a major route, although think they are doing the Derry routes first as its the Norths second City.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

First, it was great to hear that this road is finally getting the 'go-ahead', but it's years too late, considering the Sligo-Collooney section opened about 15 years ago.
    it would have given more reason for the entire 25-30km to be regraded to motorway, considering the exsisting section has already been built to this standard.

I'm not quite sure if it's quite up to motorway standard,but it wouldn't be very far off, would only take a few things to bring it up though. Then again, the fact that it's a Dual carriageway doesn't stop a lot of drivers using it goin 120+ km/h already

One thing most people forget about the road is the fact that the roundabout at Toberbride acts as a convergence of 2 National roads (N4 & N17) which are currently two 1+1 roads to a 2+2 Dual Carriageway. That would be a nightmare to redesign. You'd be talking of a new roundabout similar to THIS

I'm not quite sure if it's quite up to motorway standard,but it wouldn't be very far off, would only take a few things to bring it up though. Then again, the fact that it's a Dual carriageway doesn't stop a lot of drivers using it goin 120+ km/h already

One thing most people forget about the road is the fact that the roundabout at Toberbride acts as a convergence of 2 National roads (N4 & N17) which are currently two 1+1 roads to a 2+2 Dual Carriageway. That would be a nightmare to redesign. You'd be talking of a new roundabout similar to THIS

Or you could have something similar to the Ballisdare Junction. Doesn't always have to includ a roundabout directly under or over the DC/Motorway.

I think all it take is to change the yellow markings from a broken line to a solid line, the signage from green to blue, and change the Junction numbers from S(insert no) to J(insert no). Although have read some where that the DC is slightly to short to be considered, hence the idea of doing the new part also as HQDC, with the removal of the roundabout at Colloney, and a proper juction with the N17, and new roads connecting the existing ones towards Colloney, Ballantogher, the retail park, and service station. Just a shame there wouldn't be the money for it.

Plus to have a motorway, you also have to have a second road that other traffic/road users can use, ie, those prohibited from using the motorway, something which the current section has from Sligo to Colloney. Prehaps the new proposed section did not have the land space, resources, cash, to allow this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Great motorcycling road. Would be gutted if they 'sorted' it.

Kettleson wrote: »
    I'm not a biker, but I would be interested to know why it is a great motorcycling road.

I'm guessing the twists and turns makes it trilling to ride on a good day. Its quite a challenging road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Great motorcycling road. Would be gutted if they 'sorted' it.

I'm not a biker, but I would be interested to know why it is a great motorcycling road.

Of no real relevance but this song came to mind...hope u enjoy...

I'm guessing the twists and turns makes it trilling to ride on a good day. Its quite a challenging road.

And all within the speed limit one would presume.

I'm not poking fun here, cos for sure on a daily basis I see the average motorist exceeding the speed limit and using mobile phones etc.

Total respect to bikers, I'm sure they are as safe as the above average motorist, I just think it says a lot about the "safety" of the road that it can be used as a "thrill" pad...not good if you want to stay safe and alive on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

No such thing as an unsafe road, just unsafe road users!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

It's brutal. For the main Dublin -> Sligo road it's a disgrace.

Are you gettin it mixes with some other road by any chance?
    I always thought the N17 just outside Sligo was the worse in the country, or even the Island, but that N4 section is probably just about one of the worse I have been on, hate driving it, even in the best of weather.
    What? Are you kidding??

I'm not saying it's a great road or anything and I will be happy when it's done as it will allow slightly quicker travelling time to Dublin, but I really don't understand the hype about how bad the road is. A few bad bends but unless you're speeding into them you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't have it as a priority when it comes to spending the taxpayers millions.

I'm not saying it's a great road or anything and I will be happy when it's done as it will allow slightly quicker travelling time to Dublin, but I really don't understand the hype about how bad the road is. A few bad bends but unless you're speeding into them you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't have it as a priority when it comes to spending the taxpayers millions.

I know the speed limit is not the target, but I have some times not even felt safe going over 60/70 on some sections of it. Especially if its a bad night.

Expect more white crosses unfortunately if something not done about it.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Kettleson wrote: »
    And all within the speed limit one would presume.

I'm not poking fun here, cos for sure on a daily basis I see the average motorist exceeding the speed limit and using mobile phones etc.

Total respect to bikers, I'm sure they are as safe as the above average motorist, I just think it says a lot about the "safety" of the road that it can be used as a "thrill" pad...not good if you want to stay safe and alive on the roads.
    On that road you would generally be below the speed limit. Its a challenging twisty road. You have to be aware of the dangers at all times. Thats what makes it exciting, you're barely out of a corner when you hit the next.

Its possible to enjoy the roads without putting yourself or those around you in danger. I'd say most motorcyclists are much more careful and aware than car drivers, you have to be to survive because car drivers try to kill you quite frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Or you could have something similar to the Ballisdare Junction.

I'd find that a similar junction like the one in Caltragh would suit people in Collooney much better than the current one with the roundabout. The main problem would be the n4/17 link up. The only one I could think that would work would be an elevated roundabout like the one I posted.

With regards to the bit I put in bold, the road is far from the worst one I've ever been on. But there's a few reasons it's regarded as being dangerous; its a National road which has houses with direct access onto it, concealed entrances from minor roads onto it, corners which are bad enough that you have to reduce your speed. But the biggest danger on that road is that its absolutely void of a hard shoulder for several kms!

@Agilemyth. Thanks for that. I was remembering my own experience over recent years and my observations of what I would consider to have been dangerous driving, there have been plenty of them and genuinely none of them involved a motorcyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Small bit of work happening on this project. Spotted on Etenders:

Short description
    N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin Road Development Archaeological Consultancy Services Contract (2015) Stage (i)i Geophysical Survey
    Detailed description
    The contract involves the provision of archaeological consultancy services in the form of archaeological geophysical survey with respect to the N4 Collooney- Castlebaldwin Road Development amounting to a combined total area of 19.18 ha.

Link:https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=84431&B=&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

This road is due to open to traffic today (23/8/21)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Great road but no hard shoulder, wouldn’t like to break down on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

you would just have to stop in the left hand lane - its a straight enough road so people should be able to see relatively from further away if the broken down car has its hazards on then just overtake using the other carriageway (if they have their whit's about them and not speeding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

In fairness, there was no hard shoulder on the old road, and it was a lot more dangerous than the new one.

Advertisement