Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox 360 Help

• 24-12-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, I have been having problems with starting games on my xbox for the last few months, it started with gta IV, it was brand new and took 6 attempts for the xbox to recognise the disc, now it's happening with nearly every game I have, it now takes anything up to 10 attempts to start the games. Just looking for comments on the issue, a friend of mine said that the disc drive could need to be replaced, would I be able to do this myself? I'm quite good with electrics.

Also I have been thinking of getting it jtag'd, how much would it cost? What are the

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭emoore1223

Hi, I have been having problems with my Xbox for the last few months, it started with gta IV, it was brand new and took 6 attempts to recognise the disc, now it's happening with most of my games and taking anything up to 14 attempts to start the game, a friend of mine said the disc drive could need replacing, are these expensive? Could I replace it myself?

Note: the xbox is out of warrantee

Also I've been thinking of getting it jtag'd and was wondering how much would I need to spend to do this and what the pros and cons of doing this are,

Many thanks for all information

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

hey my friend,
    first off it could just be the lens on the drive these can be replaced fairly cheap, if its the drive thats a little more complicated as every drive is paired to a console, which means if you simply change the drive it will not play any media or games, this is because it has not got the correct dvd key assgned to it, the methods for retrieving the key are comlicatd and need certain equipment to do so, if this is what you decide i would recommend getting someone on here to xtract it for you!

also if you replace the drive it must be the same make as the drive that you are using now, so liteon for liteon, samsung for samsung and so on!

the easiest way is to get a new drive and simply swap the pcb board from the broke drive to the new drive, this would mean that the dvd key will then go to the new drive!
    just remember the drives need to be the same make and model!
    hope this helps!
    happy christmas!!!

ufc pro wrote: »
    hey my friend,
    first off it could just be the lens on the drive these can be replaced fairly cheap, if its the drive thats a little more complicated as every drive is paired to a console, which means if you simply change the drive it will not play any media or games, this is because it has not got the correct dvd key assgned to it, the methods for retrieving the key are comlicatd and need certain equipment to do so, if this is what you decide i would recommend getting someone on here to xtract it for you!

also if you replace the drive it must be the same make as the drive that you are using now, so liteon for liteon, samsung for samsung and so on!

the easiest way is to get a new drive and simply swap the pcb board from the broke drive to the new drive, this would mean that the dvd key will then go to the new drive!
    just remember the drives need to be the same make and model!
    hope this helps!
    happy christmas!!!

Thanks for the help, I think I'm gonna attempt to repair it myself first and see if that helps, thanks and Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

no prob, there are a few youtube vids that show how to clean and fix the laser!

cheers ufc pro, will have a look on youtube now.

Anyone have any idea about the mod??? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

emoore1223 wrote: »
    cheers ufc pro, will have a look on youtube now.

Anyone have any idea about the mod??? thanks

I doubt you can J-Tag the console as it is probably on too high a kernel, but you can RGH it. TouchingVirus has two good reads on this forum one on J-Tag and another on RGH, they are here.

Edit:
    I was just reading through the so you want to glitch your xbox and alot of the stuff is out dated. But you can still get a feel for how it is done by reading through it.

Yeah it might not work.

Whats the difference between flashing and jtaging? Is there any features supported by one and not the other.

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin that I could get this done?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Sounds like the DVD laser is done for. You can get a fresh laser from ebay and replace it yourself. You can also get a donor drive (including tray/mechanisms) from the internet, all you have to do is swap over the circuit board in the DVD drive to the donor drive. This is because the DVD drive is paired with your individual console, a straight swap won't work. It's all very straightforward if you swap the circuit board or replace the laser yourself.

It's highly unlikely you have a JTAGable console, more likely you have a glitchable console. The benefits of the JTAG/RGH are the same and have been discussed at length on this forum and elsewhere, I'd suggest having a read around. If you want to see if anyone is doing it in your area check the Modding Services sticky thread at the top of the forum and don't post up requests if nobody in your area is doing it :)

Advertisement