Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 40: Stuffing Balls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

God, no pressure like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I made these last weekend. Despite my food processor crapping out halfway through the breadcrumbs and having to manually chop the stale bread, they turned out great. As the picture suggested, I baked them in a pan with carrots, parsnips and a little bacon lard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

21 of these bad boys in the oven right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

just made up a batch for tomorrow, added some sage and a spoon of mustard to the mix.

21 of these bad boys in the oven right now. :)

Cooking them beforehand?

I've never done that. Let us know how they turn out. I'm in the process of making mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I now have one* of these sitting in the fridge for tomorrow. I'm no great fan of stuffing, but this is nice and herself thinks they taste great. Nice recipe Bazmo!

*Well, I say one, but it's the size of a small child's head and weighs about three pounds.
    I may need to portion it out a bit before cooking :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Cooking them beforehand?

I've never done that. Let us know how they turn out. I'm in the process of making mine too.

They're for today. We always do the turkey, ham, etc and eat on Christmas Eve to save the bother on the 25th. :cool:

They're for today. We always do the turkey, ham, etc and eat on Christmas Eve to save the bother on the 25th. :cool:
    Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yuuuum thanks so much for recipie these little balls of happiness are resting in fridge for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Just made these, but substituted the breadcrumbs for chestnuts. Holy cow they're good! I much prefer the thyme to the more traditional sage. It was hard not to throw another 3 or 4 on the pan to "test" them just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We made a double batch of them today - they're delicious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

God, no pressure like!

Ha :) Well I can report that they went down very, very well! I'll definitely be making these again. I mixed all the ingredients as described and fried one up as suggested as a taster. It was still a bit too sausagey for me so I added a bit more breadcrumb. I also added more pepper and herbs as I definitely hadn't enough at first.

They tasted absolutely fantastic, I was only sorry I hadn't made even more than of them :) Thanks BaZmO*, the Christmas dinner was much improved thanks to your recipe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oops, I never reported back! I loved them. The sausages we used were a bit too strongly herby, perhaps, so next time I'd use plain sausages or else reduce the quantity of herbs. Definitely a hit though! Thanks :)

Cool. Glad you both liked them.

Faith, just plain ol butcher's sausages work best, nothing too fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

i used the Aldi sausage meat, will make another batch this wend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They went down very well here too. I added a bit more breadcrumbs just to get the texture we like. I'll definitely make them again too, thanks BaZmO* :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

*bump*

For the time that is it.

Anyone tried this technique using a vegetarian recipe? Have to make the mrs some for Christmas dinner as she can't eat meat so I was thinking of just taking a handful of the mix before I add the sausage and baking them.

irish_goat wrote: »
    *bump*

For the time that is it.

Anyone tried this technique using a vegetarian recipe? Have to make the mrs some for Christmas dinner as she can't eat meat so I was thinking of just taking a handful of the mix before I add the sausage and baking them.

What would you replace the sausage with? It's kind of essential for binding the other ingredients together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What would you replace the sausage with? It's kind of essential for binding the other ingredients together.

I figured the egg would bind it up well enough, no?

I figured the egg would bind it up well enough, no?

Hmm, not sure that the texture would be great though. Be interesting to experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My plan is to make this this Christmas, if I can find normal sausages and not mad flavoured gourmet ones. It's a fabulous recipe!

Faith wrote: »
    My plan is to make this this Christmas, if I can find normal sausages and not mad flavoured gourmet ones. It's a fabulous recipe!

I'd imagine you could just make them with pork mince and some spices similar to what would go into a sausage, white pepper, mace(?)

*bump*

For the time that is it.

I sometimes add sautéed mushrooms to my bread stuffing, maybe that would work in these instead of the meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

*bump*

For the time that is it.

I make stuffing balls too, some of which are along the same lines as BaZmo*'s but omit egg when using sausage as it's a binder as well.

Stuffing is brilliant because it's infinitely variable. If you wanted to make a veggie version and Mrs Goat eats eggs, you'd be fine as long you squish the balls a bit and don't make them larger than a table-tennis ball. A couple of spoons of gram flour (chickpea flour) would help stick things together, or a bit of chopped frozen/vac-pac chestnuts and/or chopped dried apricots (ready-to-eat or soaked).

Or you could just bake some lovely home-made stuffing in a bowl without needing eggs or sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You could maybe replace the sausage meat with some pseudo-hummus? Prepare the ingredients, minus the sausage -> process some chickpeas -> add rest of ingredients to processor and make into balls? I'd imagine it would need plenty of extra seasoning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

These look absolutely amazing.

I'm thinking of doing up a load this weekend. I have plenty of sausage meat in the freezer. The one change I'm gonna try is chopping up a red pepper into little cubes, and adding to the mix

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    These look absolutely amazing.

I'm thinking of doing up a load this weekend. I have plenty of sausage meat in the freezer. The one change I'm gonna try is chopping up a red pepper into little cubes, and adding to the mix

Actually, that'll look really Christmassy :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

These are on my list for Christmas day dinner :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Crap I just made these and forgot the egg?! Do I need to re roll them?

• Advertisement

Crap I just made these and forgot the egg?! Do I need to re roll them?

No, they should be fine as long as they were wet enough to stay in one piece when rolling them into balls. The egg is there just to give them a better bind.

Advertisement