Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you doing this Christmas Eve?

• 13-12-2013 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'll be collecting the turkey and ham first thing then going for brunch. Home then for some mulled wine and an afternoon movie. Get the last minute wrapping done then whilst listening to christmas songs. Myself and my wife open our presents to each other on Christmas Eve when the kids go to bed so we have time to appreciate the gifts. It's all about the kids and their Santa presents on Christmas morning. We will then have some food and more mulled wine and watch a Christmas film, looking like Christmas with the Kranks this year and then the Father Ted Christmas special. Off to bed then to get a few hours sleep before it all starts again. No visitors calling to the house and no visiting to be done. All that is done before and after the 24th, 25th and 26th. The front door is basically locked from midnight on the 23rd until the 27th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Flying to Spain to spend Christmas with my family

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Going to collect the turkey and ham on Christmas Eve morning, come home and stick the turkey in the fridge.

I'll cook the ham (lots of time on Christmas Eve to let it cook by itself).
    I boil it gently for a few hours til it's tender.

I'll then start prepping the veg: peel and halve the spuds, wash the sprouts and place them in a pot of water, peel and slice the carrots.
    I will then place several bottles of white wine, cider, lager and Coke in the fridge to chill nicely.

Christmas Eve afternoon I shall visit my parents for a quick cuppa and maybe a mince pie and then it's home.

I think we'll have an Indian takeaway for dinner with a few glasses of white wine and then settle down to watch Home Alone and then probably head to bed at around 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

Christmas Eve, I get up early and start the prepping for dinner with my Dad, most of the family chips in to help. So ham on, cranberry sauce, stuffing, soup is all done. I also am in charge of Christmas eve dinner so i be doing that as well. We're are getting all the food the day before.

I'l have most of the wrapping done, so mid afternoon is tv time.... Then in the evening, a home made curry, mulled wine, movie, chat to boyfriend and then bed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭jersman

Anyone else have anything planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Up in the morning to a festive breakfast cooked for me by my lovely gf. (She makes the BEST American pancakes with bacon!!!). Then we'll have 'our Christmas' in the flat, open presents before I hop the train over to my brother where I spend Christmas every year. Probably watch Elf or Muppets Christmas Carol or read on the way over (the trains are lovely and quiet on Christmas Eve, it's great for a breather!!) and then help out my brother and sister in law get stuff ready for tomorrow and catch up. We then walk to my brothers in laws for a festive drink and board games to see in Christmas Day. Home around 12.30 or 1 for bed.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Get up early and get stuff out of the way.

In the evening, I would put my feat up. Watch some tv (I have to watch Mrs. Brown's Boys Christmas Special, though I know it is not everyones cup of tea, go online, then go into town.

I usually meet up with some friends on Christmas Eve. Go to bed about half eleven and sleep in Christmas Day.

I have most of the wrapping done. I usually do everyones except my own, I think I am the only one who likes to wrap stuff

Sleep in Christmas Day??
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Get up early and get stuff out of the way.

In the evening, I would put my feat up. Watch some tv (I have to watch Mrs. Brown's Boys Christmas Special, though I know it is not everyones cup of tea, go online, then go into town.

I usually meet up with some friends on Christmas Eve. Go to bed about half eleven and sleep in Christmas Day.

I have most of the wrapping done. I usually do everyones except my own, I think I am the only one who likes to wrap stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

relax, then pub with the family in the evening....does anyone else go to the pub christmas eve? :S

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I did last year because I finished work early- this year I don't finish until after 5pm so heading straight home to start the HAM. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

normally driving or settling in to the inlaws but this year tidying the house a but,trying to get the kids to bed early then filling stockings and constructing toys:)))

• Advertisement

Santa will do that for you!!
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    normally driving or settling in to the inlaws but this year tidying the house a but,trying to get the kids to bed early then filling stockings and constructing toys:)))

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Work, then the long drive home to the family, off to Christmas Eve mass with the family (Wouldn't feel the same if I skipped it!) and then finally relax a little and help get things ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ill go into town for a hour in the morning to get some last bits and pieces, then drink all day in front of the fire watchiing xmas tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Going to buy my 'from me to me' pressie in the morning. See if I can do anything for Mam. Do a bit of cleaning around the house and put nice new bed-covers on the bed.

Working from 5 to 9 then will drop the car home and legger back to the pub until all hours. Probably end up at someone's house.

Wake up with a head on me tomorrow but know that I have the perfect hangover cure. Some Christmas "holly" and the year's best dinner.

Mucho Dinnero.

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

jersman wrote: »
    Sleep in Christmas Day??

Well I'd get up around 10-ish.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In my family the stuffing is a very important part of the christmas dinner :P we serve it in balls instead of in the turkey so on christmas eve myself and my two sisters will make the stuffing. Once it's all mixed up my Mum will be summoned, and there will be several 'tastings' to make sure it's perfect. Then after that it'll be dinner with my family, then off to mass with my hubby and toddler, then we'll call in to my inlaws for an hour or two. Then back home to put the baba to bed and get santa ready!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mr. G wrote: »
    Well I'd get up around 10-ish.
    I'd get up about 11am. Even as a child I wouldn't get up too early on Christmas day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Wake up with a raging hangover... man it's not a good one. Glad it today though and not tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Nothing except changing the bedclothes, watching tv and eating mince pies. I hate going out on Christmas Eve.

You wouldn't want to be doing much out there today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Im browsing boards,you would swear i had nothing to do :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 OldBlueEyes Nidge

Went out to town this morning with the Parents and Brothers. Spent a few hours in there, bought a few bits,and went for something to eat. Came home and did Kris Kindle we now chilling and getting a Chinese Takeaway while waiting for tomorrow. Up at 7 presents opened get dressed off to mass and the Aunts and uncles for breakfast for an hour back at bout 1 to prepare dinner.

Anyone drunk yet? What booze and films or tv programmes have you lined up for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Drink.... Drinking..... And wrapping

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Watching tv, feeling a bit unsettled due to estranged family. Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Cooked the ham this morning. Then made tiramisu. It's our traditional dessert at Christmas. Made the stuffing too. Getting ready for a carol service and mass. then it'll be home to the fire and a glass of wine before bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gidget

Up early this morning, out doing the Christmas goodie shopping in Dunnes at 9.30 this morning, got all the junk food in, that will last a few weeks I'm sure. Shop was starting to fill up then as I was walking out. Went to the florist & got 2 bouquets of flowers to bring up to the graveyard tomorrow which we visit every Christmas Day. Lit my Yankee candles, mixed it up by blending Christmas Eve with Christmas Tree scented ones. Did some cleaning, changed the bedsheets etc. Went to hairdresser this afternoon & got a few odd bits that I'd forgotten this morning, including some booze. By that stage the Alcohol shelves were relatively empty. Home now to enjoy the rest of the night, Pressies have been wrapped & sitting under the tree, sitting in my Christmas PJ's & relax with a few goodies, some hot chocolate & whatever movies are on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭sniperman

well me and the girlfriend are going upstairs around 9pm with a few bottles,and some whipped cream.dinner will be the last thing on my mind :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Spent all morning cleaning! Left it until the last minute again. Then settled down to watch Escape to Victory to chill. Been eating and drinking ever since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Woke up with a raging hangover this morning. I actually wanted to die!
    Anyway, tidied the house and my wife's parents, two brothers and sister-in-law all arrived at 3 for dinner.
    Got our daughter down to sleep at 7.30 and all the in-laws left around 8.30.
    Since then, sipping some beer and munching crisps while watching some stuff recorded on the Sky box.
    Bed shortly and then up at 7 when the little one gets her Santa presents and then over to the in-laws for the rest of the day.

Advertisement