Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The BBC Four Thread

• 17-11-2013 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only channel I'd pay for (assuming I had to pay for access to just one channel) contains any number of gems from their imported dramas to series about things like box containers, Jonathan Meades and post-modern explorations of the postcard.

This week things get of to a strong start at 9 pm with part 1 of Light and Dark presented by Prof Jim Al-Khalili - about the Universe we can and can't see.

This is followed at 10pm by Time Shift which looks at the case of the spy Kim Philby and following that Mark Lawson chats with author John le Carre - BBC4 is screening the classic John Irvin directed adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy starting on Tuesday at 10 pm. So basically set your PVRs! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

That's a bit of a coincidence as the film is on that night as well :P

Time - 21:00 to 23:25 (2 hours and 25 minutes long).
    When - Tuesday 19th November on Film4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dr Who - the first ever story on BBC4 from 10:30pm
    An Unearthly Child Part one of four. The first story of the sci-fi drama, which was originally aired on November 23, 1963. Two teachers investigating the strange behaviour of a pupil find themselves in a junk yard, where they meet her grandfather and force their way inside a police box - with frightening results

All four shown tonight. One for Whovians to tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

mike65 wrote: »
    The only channel I'd pay for (assuming I had to pay for access to just one channel) contains any number of gems from their imported dramas to series about things like box containers, Jonathan Meades and post-modern explorations of the postcard.

This week things get of to a strong start at 9 pm with part 1 of Light and Dark presented by Prof Jim Al-Khalili - about the Universe we can and can't see.

This is followed at 10pm by Time Shift which looks at the case of the spy Kim Philby and following that Mark Lawson chats with author John le Carre - BBC4 is screening the classic John Irvin directed adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy starting on Tuesday at 10 pm. So basically set your PVRs! :)

Best of all, BBC4 HD will be with us shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I'm totally with you! Its a quality channel defiantly my most watched. I love my documentary's science, history etc and they defiantly have the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The only channel I'd pay for (assuming I had to pay for access to just one channel)

Along with BBC2 the only channels that don't make me want to throw stuff at the telly in exasperation.

• Advertisement

Dr Who - the first ever story on BBC4 from 10:30pm

All four shown tonight. One for Whovians to tape.

The overnights give audiences of over 350,000. Stand by for BBC4 to show every old Dr Who they can find! :pac: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Blackfish doc that was on last night at 9pm about the treatment of killer whales in captivity was excellent,as was nearly every 'Storyville' documentary I've watched.

Fantastic channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cant beat a bit of Michael Portillo and his railway journeys too. So many excellent historical docs on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Blackfish doc that was on last night at 9pm about the treatment of killer whales in captivity was excellent,as was nearly every 'Storyville' documentary I've watched.

Fantastic channel.

Saw that as well. Incredible to think that a whale with such a history of mistreatment and aggression towards it's handlers was still being used in shows. SeaWorld comes out of it looking very shady indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Coming Up - '4,000 -Year-Old Cold Case: The Body in the Bog.'

Documentary about the 4,000 year old 'Cashel Man' body found in Cúl Na Móna Bog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03js0gf
    An international team of experts assemble to investigate this new find, led by Ned Kelly of the National Museum of Ireland. Ned is a veteran archaeologist, and has previously investigated some of Ireland's most famous bog bodies.

Now, will "Cashel Man" help prove his theory these Irish victims were ancient kings? And what clues can the bog bodies of Europe offer to explain our ancestors' most macabre tradition - ritual murder?

Might be worth a look, Thursday at 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Skid X wrote: »
    Coming Up - '4,000 -Year-Old Cold Case: The Body in the Bog.'

Documentary about the 4,000 year old 'Cashel Man' body found in Cúl Na Móna Bog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03js0gf

Might be worth a look, Thursday at 9pm
    I'm fairly sure that program was made by/for RTÉ and was broadcast a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

irishfeen wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that program was made by/for RTÉ and was broadcast a while back.

Possibly, although I think that might have been a different programme about a separate 'find' in the Midlands

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4286651&tpl=archnews&force=1
    A new Northern Irish documentary ‘4000 Year Old Cold Case: The Body in the Bog’ has completed post-production.
    The documentary follows the forensic investigation of the ancient body found in an Irish peat bog - Cashel Man.

... ‘4000 Year Old Cold Case: The Body in the Bog’ will air on BBC 4 next week on Thursday 28th November at 9pm.

Skid X wrote: »
    Possibly, although I think that might have been a different programme about a separate 'find' in the Midlands

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4286651&tpl=archnews&force=1
    Possibly so - I think the RTÉ programme was called Bog Bodies or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Im a huge fan of 'Only Connect' on monday nights.
    I watch it after the much easier University Challenge on BBC 2.

Its a tough one to ace, requires real thought
    Its also hosted by the always desirable Victoria Coren.

Also, regarding BBC4, I heard the beeb are mulling over closing the station down?
    They have already confirmed it will no longer receive budget for original drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

'Cathedrals' doc that was on tonight was quite good,and I'm not a religious person whatsoever.

Documentary on tomorrow night at 9 about the secret life of C.S. Lewis sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Thanks, I heard she had a new show coming up,
    i saw her first on Have I Got News For You teamin up with Ian Hislop & giving sexy smirks over to the other panellist on Paul's team as both were sharing a bit of banter which was funny.

Found two interesting facts on her, as she's a professional poker player when she finds the time as well as married to funny man David Mitchell
    Also, regarding BBC4, I heard the beeb are mulling over closing the station down?
    They have already confirmed it will no longer receive budget for original drama.
    Closed down? one poster back there reckons it wont be long before it goes HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Great programme. I like Victoria Coren's presenting style. She doesn't take it too seriously. It always amuses me how the contestants can solve a very complicated question but they struggle to solve the obvious, such as The Four Seasons' songs on Monday night's connecting wall :D

Its not being closed down (David Dimbleby was musing out loud about the BBC having too many of everything) and yes the HD version arrives in the next week or so,

Its not being closed down (David Dimbleby was musing out loud about the BBC having too many of everything) and yes the HD version arrives in the next week or so,
    Will it be on the Irish epg I wonder?

Currently testing but can't be tuned on a Sky box. There's a very faint BBC Four HD DOG in the top left but it can't be seen in the photo.

Photo%2027-11-2013%2022%2053%2034.jpg

• Advertisement

Saw that myself earlier
    Will it be on the Irish epg I wonder?

Freesat is your only man! ;) There is a thread on the Sat forum about this so check there.

This looks interesting

BBC Four has acquired a three-part drama series to mark World AIDS Day.

Never Wipe Tears Without Gloves is set in Stockholm in the 1980s and focuses on new couple Rasmus and Benjamin, who fall in love under the shadow of the AIDS epidemic.

Based on Jonas Gardell's series of books with the same name, the drama was met with critical acclaim when it aired in Sweden last year and won the Kristallen Award for 'Best Television Drama'.

Airs monday to coincide with World AIDS Day on December 1.

9 PM

Tuesday, a one off doc - The Joy of Logic
    Computer scientist Dave Cliff provides a light-hearted look at the worlds of philosophy, mathematics, science and technology, all of which require a sound basis of logic. The professor creates the world's first child-run computer, and meets youngsters competing in the International Olympiad of Informatics in Brisbane, Australia, before assessing whether mankind can stay ahead in the field of logistics, or whether it is in danger of creating a machine smarter than the most logical human mind

followed by part 4 of TTSS and then a repeat of 4000 Year Old Cold Case: The Body in the Bog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Greatly looking forward to Joy of Logic. Like, actually cannot wait!

On immediately before that is Orbit: Earth's Extraordinary Journey.

Three part series that "...follows the Earth's voyage around the sun for one complete orbit, travelling first from the July to the December solstice, and showing its effect."

BBC four HD goes live tomorrow along with BBC Three HD, BBC News HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD.

BBC4 is in High Definition :)

Not that it made any difference for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy of course (the print deffo needs restoration), I'm just about keeping up with the who, what, when, where and why of Le Carre's tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Hidden Dangers with Suzannah Lipscomb.
    My history teachers never looked that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I was watching BBC Four last night, but it wasn't in HD.....

I was watching BBC Four last night, but it wasn't in HD.....

Were you watching BBC Four or BBC Four HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

Advertisement