Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy samurai maybe 50 books in a year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

77F0C313347843A296CEA744F4893AD8-0000358723-0003013173-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    No need to comment on the books storyline/setting, if you live on planet earth you will know about this series

An Epic series with a vast array of fantastic characters with multiple story lines.This part 5 ,is epic in itself and a top notch read.

The only problem was that I read the last book in the series over 6 years ago.With no time to re read the series I had to google characters and plot lines.Could'nt remember who the feck reek was,along with a lot of other details.
    Bought this book when it first came out and read about 25%,before all the on-line checking tired me out.Second time got up to 30%.This time I determined to follow it through ,and was glad I did.Although I could't remember every detail from the previous books I immersed myself fully in the story this time and enjoyed it big time.I hope someday to be in a position to reread the full series at my leisure.:D
    Hopefully I won't have to wait so long till the next in the series.I understand Martin has already written a lot of the next one ,as he wrote them in tandem.
    Roll on part 6 ................................................................................................and 7.;)

4B4C5F083FAF4F89BCBC44FCE1E0827E-0000358723-0003041801-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Giles Kristian's Raven Series is a tale of battle, blood and treachery, set at a time when any conflict was a ferocious fight to the death and only the strongest survived.
    The Raven trilogy has fast become a publishing sensation since the first instalment, Blood Eye, was published three years ago.
    Now, the eagerly awaited third episode, Odin’s Wolves, is out in paperback, bringing the coming-of-age story of a young man thrust into a violent world to a stunning climax.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/entertainment/giles-kristian-raven-series/9041693/Viking-book-trilogy-Giles-Kristian-Raven.html
    This was a great ending to a very enjoyable trilogy.

Top notch historical fiction IMO.
    A well written, highly entaining saga featuring great characters ,lots of gore splatted battles and wild adventures.For a first book/series Giles has done a great job and gone straight to the top.If you like historical fiction or just a good story ,make sure to give this one a try.

A great tale which held me spellbound (Bernard Cornwell )

A masterly achievement, full of blood-drenched battle scenes, yet with tender moments too. Kristian evokes the warriors' stubborn camaraderie and their own strange code (DAILY EXPRESS 20110708)

This is a storming, magnificent end to what has been one of the best Viking series of all time. Authentic, bloody, visceral... this is tale-telling at its rip-roaring best (Manda Scott )

Kristian can really write... his battle scenes are bone crunchingly good, his descriptions of the Viking world bright and evocative... a great storyteller (Ben Kane, Author Of The Forgotten Legion )

An all-action adventure... beautifully told (SUNDAY EXPRESS )

1BDB8AEEA35A4B8C865877C0FF1A98DF-0000358723-0003071265-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    AD262 – the Imperium is in turmoil after the struggle for the throne. Furthermore, Ephesus, Asia’s metropolis, lies in ruins, shattered by a mighty earthquake. Its citizens live in fear as the mob overwhelms the city, baying for blood to avenge the gods who have punished them.
    Yet an even greater threat to the Empire advances from the North. The barbaric Goth tribes sail towards Ephesus, determined to pillage the city. Only Ballista, Warrior of Rome, knows the ways of the barbarians, and only he can defeat them.
    The Goths’ appetite for brutality and destruction is limitless and before long Ballista is locked into a deadly blood feud, with an enemy that has sworn to destroy him – and the Imperium – at all costs.

Good historical fiction, this is an enjoyable series revolving around a great character.
    I am enjoying sidebottoms books more, with each new novel . Sidebottom really knows his stuff regarding Rome and its empire.
    With each book I am learning more about Rome that I never knew. At the back of this one there is a list of latin translations/ explanations/historical characters, recommended reading on ancient rome along with description of the geographical locations involved. Also he explains the merging of his fictional character with real historical events and people.
    In this one the story revolves around how envoys were just as important as the legions ,in protecting their borders. But if you like a bit of action there’s still lots of battles , blood and gore.
    In the past I have read tons of fiction about Rome ,and while he has’nt written my favourite book in this genre ,IMO he is the most knowledgeable fiction author on the subject ,that I read so far.

'Sidebottom captures perfectly the corruption, betrayals, and enmities of the Roman Empire ... I don't think I've ever experienced antiquity so directly: the brutality, the directness of expression and feeling, the deep bonds formed amid unmitigated violence'
    Professor David Konstan, Chair of Classics, Brown University

'A gripping yarn interwoven with superb knowledge of the ancient world'
    Professor Bryan Ward-Perkins, Fellow in History, University of Oxford

'A vivid, racy, and gripping novel from a major scholar who also happens to be a brilliant master of fiction'
    Dr Jas Elsner, University Fellow in Classical Art, University of Oxford

33B1107BCE6C41AFA0C77D23F9538C95-0000358723-0003071267-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Classed as american gothic horror ,I liked this one,a short easy read.
    Reminded me a bit of McCarthy's "The Road" with its bleak setting ,also of Stephen Kings early books. Although the ending became a bit predictable about two/thirds through this is well worth trying out.For a debut novel this is a good one ,with room for improvement.I have already ordered "The Troupe" by the same Author.
    With his debut novel, Mr. Shivers, Southern writer Robert Jackson Bennett presents a pulpy, Great Depression horror story where a mysterious killer "trails death behind him." After his daughter is brutally murdered, a revenge-seeking Marcus Connelly leaves Memphis on a hunt across America's hobo camps and ghost towns for the grotesquely scarred, ghostly figure known as "Mr. Shivers." On his quest Connelly teams up with a scrappy band of hobos recovering from their own brushes with "the gray man," and the body count increases as they ride the rails tracking their target. Connelly's spiraling bloodlust begins to rival Shivers's, threatening to take more than just his family and friends away from him. Sprinkled with hobo folklore, Bennett's supernatural dust storm of a debut offers a killer premise and may remind readers of vintage Stephen King

04DE03C0E9C44862A8A3056D811C9A7F-0000358723-0003071268-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Decided to give this a go after I picked this one up for €4 in the local charity shop. For me this was a hard book to get into , probably because the American Revolutionary War was not a subject that interested me greatly . Overall I found it to be an ok read, but highly informative about the period and setting. Although IMO , the ending did seem a bit rushed.
    The fact it was based on true events made it more interesting than it would have been otherwise. I found the details about Paul Revere to be a revelation ,as like others I had always thought him to be a major hero of the revolution. Just goes to show how important PR was , even back then. ;)
    As said previously Cornwell does a ton of research on his subject and it shows. If you are interested in the American revolutionary war this is one worth reading , if not I would give it a miss. Apart from his “Sharpe” series , I have read most of Cornwells books and loved them all, but my favourite is still the Saxon Series.
    In the summer of 1779, as the major fighting of the Revolutionary War moves to the South, a British force consisting of fewer than a thousand Scottish infantry and backed by three sloops-of-war sails to the fogbound coast of New England. Establishing a garrison and naval base at Penobscot Bay, in the eastern province of Massachusetts, the Scots harry rebel privateers and shelter American loyalists. In response, the Americans send more than forty vessels and some one thousand infantrymen to “captivate, kill, or destroy” the foreign invaders. But ineptitude and irresolution lead to a mortifying defeat that will have stunning repercussions for two men on opposite sides of the conflict: an untested young Scottish lieutenant named John Moore, at the beginning of an illustrious military career . . . and a Boston silversmith and patriot named Paul Revere, who will face court-martial for disobedience and cowardice.

Full review here from The Washington Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/dec/31/book-review-the-fort/

• Advertisement

A great read .I loved this book big time .The bad guys were good and the good guys bad. Lots of LOL moments for me ,and a vast array of brilliant characters. So many to choose from , but Shivers and Costa were among my favourites. It may even be my favourite Abercrombie book ,or maybe it’s just a long time since I read the first law trilogy. :).A fair few reviewers online giving out about the torture and graphic violence ,its something that does’nt bother me as Imo its intergral to the story.But be aware of it if its something that bothers you.
    If you like fantasy make sure to give this a try.

F46FAB45720C45D1B376E92A0B972FF6-0000358723-0003107445-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Joe Abercrombie takes the grand tradition of high fantasy literature and drags it down into the gutter, in the best possible way." --- Time
    Bang on IMO;).As I type A Red Country ,sits on my shelf.....beckoning.:D

Review link: http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.ie/2009/07/best-served-cold-by-joe-abercrombie.html

The Acacia Trilogy (part 2)

DBE87FC848CB486A8389EBF568732486-0000358723-0003145433-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpG
    David Anthony Durham’s gripping Acacia Trilogy continues with an epic novel where loyalties are tested, new worlds are discovered, and battle lines are being drawn.

A few years have passed since Queen Corinn has usurped control of the Known World—and she now rules with an iron fist. With plans to expand her empire, she sends her brother, Dariel, on an exploratory mission across the sea to The Other Lands. There, he discovers an alliance of tribes that have no interest in being ruled by Queen Corinn and the Akarans. In fact, Dariel’s arrival ignites a firestorm that once more exposes The Known World to a massive invasion, one unlike anything they have yet faced . . .

Santa really messed up my reading time ,but hope to get sorted now and make a dent in my book mountain.
    To start..............I am really enjoying this fantasy trilogy. A very easy read with a great storyline and great characters ,along with some unique and interesting world building. The Akaran family story reminded me a bit of The Starks in Martins “A song of fire and ice” series , other parts like the “The League” and their “Mist” use reminded me of Herberts “Dune”. My only minor gripe is that
    I would have liked the Lothun Aklun to be more involved/ fleshed out in this book, as their sudden demise leaves too many unanswered questions.When part 1 ended it was the story of the Lothun Aklun that I was most looking forward to ,in part 2. Hopefully the next book will answer some of them?.
    :(
    Looking forward to Part 3 .
    If you like Fantasy ,give this one a try.

“David Anthony Durham has serious chops. I can’t wait to read whatever he writes next."
    —George R. R. Martin

97AADAC484CA42B794792B9B37128673-0000358723-0003145432-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    In a desperate bid to take back the continental United States—where hordes of undead now dominate the ravaged human population—a Navy commander leads a global mission to the heart of the pandemic. Task Force Hourglass is humanity’s final hope, and his team’s agonizing decisions could mean living one day more—or surrendering to the eternal hell that exists between life and death.

Although a bit disappointed with this one, let me say that taking the whole 3 book series in total , this is still a great Armageddon/zombie trilogy ,and IMO would make a better TV show than “The Walking Dead”(which I love.)
    The Diary format is gone in this book, and while I understand the reasons behind it given the global view of the Zombie contagion. For me, it was the diary format that made the series such a tense and exciting read.

This the final instalment ,while not as good as the previous two books, still has some great set pieces and interesting ideas that still make it worth reading for what started out as a great Zombie series.

The ending of this book is not great , and like a lot of other people I was expecting there to be a part four ,while reading the last couple of chapters.
    Then BOOM ,out of no where……………………………its over?................

Review here:
    http://survivalpunk.com/day-by-day-armageddon-shattered-hourglass-review/
    While this review is a bit over the top IMO ,it still gives a good synopsis of the series for such a brief review.

Having rechecked my last few reading logs, Imo a lot of Authors need to go on a writing course about book endings, and how to finish stories . ;)

6A80B03B29D04262A0675D7FACE59652-0000358723-0003175447-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Vaudeville: mad, mercenary, dreamy, and absurd, a world of clashing cultures and ferocious showmanship and wickedly delightful deceptions.

But sixteen-year-old pianist George Carole has joined vaudeville for one reason only: to find the man he suspects to be his father, the great Heironomo Silenus. Yet as he chases down his father's troupe, he begins to understand that their performances are strange even for vaudeville: for wherever they happen to tour, the very nature of the world seems to change.

Because there is a secret within Silenus's show so ancient and dangerous that it has won him many powerful enemies. And it's not until after he joins them that George realizes the troupe is not simply touring: they are running for their lives.

And soon...he is as well

The above blurb unfortunately gives you little or no idea about the great adventure you are about to embark on ,or how strange ,interesting and addictive this book is. You do get the feeling as you progress through the story that you have previously read threads from this book. But it is bennett’s unique weave of these threads in addition to his entertaining story/plot that makes it his own. Along with his great characters, plot line and
    creation viewpoint
    I loved the way he incorporated the myth and mythology aspects especially the Irish connection. ;).
    His
    Faries
    were a great addition ,and I liked his interpretation of these mythological creatures. I would have loved to find out more about their back story. Heironomo was a fascinating character, his
    past hinted at adventures along with his immortality
    leave you wanting to know more.

Bennett is becoming one to watch for me. As far as I know this is only his third book and I have liked what I have read so far.
    I can’t wait to see what he will write next. :)

Review link : http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/854.html

& other stories………

C559C0760EAE45EB800603E2CAC135C3-0000358723-0003175446-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Harry Keogh, the first Necroscope, is arguably Brian Lumley’s greatest creation. In the Necroscope series, readers saw Harry learn to use his powers to talk with the dead and travel instantaneously to any point in space and time. They saw him take arms against the evil, twisted, alien vampires who sought to feed off humans and enslave mankind. They saw him suffer a great personal loss and later recover his humanity through a new love. And they saw Harry wage the grimmest battle of his life—against the vampire he himself was becoming!.
    Even after Harry’s story was done, Brian Lumley continued to write books about Harry’s legacy—the other Necroscopes who inherited his weird talents. But Harry himself would not go quietly into that darkness that lies beyond an author’s imagination . . . and now Brian Lumley has written three new long short stories about Harry and his supernatural adventures.

Having previously read the memorable Necroscope series ,this was a welcome , nostalgic return to one of my favourite characters, Harry Keogh. And while I have heard the remark that “Harry Keogh” is the adult version of “Harry Potter” . IMO it’s not a comparison that I would use , as I think it does not do justice to the Necroscope.
    This book is made up of 4 short stories ,and my overall favourite was “Harry and the Pirates”. The other stories while not spectacular were still an entertaining reminder of the great Necroscope series, along with offering an opportunity to revisit Harry and “The Great Majority”.
    These short stories left me with a strong desire to reread the original series. But with all the books unread on my book shelf I don’t see that happening anytime soon. :(

Funny thing is, that although I love this series by Brian Lumley , I have found it hard to get into his other books.

Review Link http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com/2009/06/necroscope-harry-and-pirates-brian.html

• Advertisement

9DA0E22EBE6B484EB3BE1804B26C2948-0000358723-0003175445-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    “Bernard Cornwell does the best battle scenes of any writer I’ve ever read, past or present.” (George R.R. Martin )
    "The most prolific and successful historical novelist in the world today" (Wall Street Journal) has delivered another blockbuster with this thrilling tale of peril and conquest at the Battle of Poitiers.
    September 1356. All over France, towns are closing their gates. Crops are burning, and through-out the countryside people are on the alert for danger. The English army—led by the heir to the throne, the Black Prince—is set to invade, while the French, along with their Scottish allies, are ready to hunt them down.
    But what if there was a weapon that could decide the outcome of the imminent war?
    Thomas of Hookton, known as le Batard, has orders to uncover the lost sword of Saint Peter, a blade with mystical powers said to grant certain victory to whoever possesses her. The French seek the weapon, too, and so Thomas's quest will be thwarted at every turn by battle and betrayal, by promises made and oaths broken. As the outnumbered English army becomes trapped near Poitiers, Thomas, his troop of archers and men-at-arms, his enemies, and the fate of the sword converge in a maelstrom of violence, action, and heroism.
    Rich with colorful characters, great adventure, and thrilling conflict, 1356 is a magnificent tale of how the quest for a holy relic with the power to change history may culminate in an epic struggle.

Top Notch!. As said previously Cornwell knows his history and does his research. This one based around the battle of Poitiers , was for me , a highly entertaining and educational read. Loved the characters and the setting ,so I flew through this one.
    As a big fantasy fan I find that good historical fiction ,usually medieval in setting, can scratch the same itch , once you have great characters and a good back story. IMO this one has all that and more.:)
    Although Thomas of Hookton featured in a previous trilogy about the “Grail” ,this can be read as a stand alone without reading said trilogy.
    If you get the chance ,give it a try.

Review link: http://medievalbookworm.com/reviews/review-1356-bernard-cornwell/

76CF52ADBD9F4CB8AF393ED15674DD2A-0000358723-0003227310-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    The Vikings are laying siege to Paris. They want the Count's sister, in return they will spare the rest of the city. As houses on the banks of the Seine burn, a debate rages in the Cathedral on the walled island of the city proper. Can the Count really have ambitions to be Emperor of the Franks if he doesn't do everything he can to save his people? Can he call himself a man if he doesn t do everything he can to save his sister? His conscience demands one thing, the state demands another. The Count and the church are relying on the living saint, the blind and crippled Jehan of St. Germain, to enlist the aid of God and resolve the situation for them. But the Vikings have their own gods, and outside their camp, a terrifying brother and sister, priests of Odin, have their own agenda. An agenda of darkness and madness. And in the shadows a wolfman lurks. M. D. Lachlan's stunning epic of mad Gods, Vikings, and the myth of Fenrir, the wolf destined to kill Odin at Ragnarok, is a compelling mix of bloody horror, unlikely heroism, dangerous religion, and breathtaking action.

This is a Top notch series ,but Imo this book could have been a lot shorter and still told the same story. I love the way Lachlan has developed the dark magic in this series. Like all good fantasy magic ,it seems believable as in, it makes sense. Like the first book this is dark fantasy ,and not for the faint hearted. There are some great characters in this series,but Hugin became one of my favourite’s in this book.
    Hugin as described by Lachlan ,would make a stunning Kotobukiya figure.Maybe with his sister Munin in the background :) .
    If they ever make them I will be first in line.
    Some great scenes/settings in this book ,but
    that scene and the image conveyed by Aelis arriving in the ship of frozen warriors sitting at their oars, is one that sticks in my mind.
    Great stuff!.
    Hope to read part 3 soon.

'Savage, dark, strange and unpredictable' — Joe Abercrombie

'This, my dear people, is one hell of a fantastic book' — British Fantasy Society

3157BC6CB3454E87AF00ADE97FF50CF2-0000358723-0003243661-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    A passenger train hurtling through the night. An unwed teenage mother headed to Moscow to seek a new life. A cruel-hearted soldier looking furtively, forcibly, for sex. An infant disappearing without a trace.
    So begins Martin Cruz Smith’s masterful Three Stations, a suspenseful, intricately constructed novel featuring Investigator Arkady Renko...............
    In Three Stations, Renko’s skills are put to their most severe test. Though he has been technically suspended from the prosecutor’s office for once again turning up unpleasant truths, he strives to solve a last case: the death of an elegant young woman whose body is found in a construction trailer on the perimeter of Moscow’s main rail hub. It looks like a simple drug overdose to everyone—except to Renko, whose examination of the crime scene turns up some inexplicable clues, most notably an invitation to Russia’s premier charity ball, the billionaires’ Nijinksy Fair. Thus a sordid death becomes interwoven with the lifestyles of Moscow’s rich and famous, many of whom are clinging to their cash in the face of Putin’s crackdown on the very oligarchs who placed him in power.
    Renko uncovers a web of death, money, madness and a kidnapping that threatens the woman he is coming to love and the lives of children he is desperate to protect. In Three Stations, Smith produces a complex and haunting vision of an emergent Russia’s secret underclass of street urchins, greedy thugs and a bureaucracy still paralyzed by power and fear.

A change of pace/genre was needed so I decided to give this one a try. As my first Cruz Smith read , I found this to be an enjoyable thriller/crime novel . Although I read this out of sequence in the overall “Arkady Renko”series, I had no problem diving right in without knowing the main character’s previous history.
    I loved the story setting in Moscow ,showing both the ostentatiousness of the wealthy along with the seedier side of Moscow .The insight /introduction into Russian society at all levels, along with some great characters made this a highly entertaining read.
    Arkady Renko is a great character and I look forward to reading more in this series.

The New York Times has a great in-depth review here………….

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/books/review/Steinhauer-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

3718E2377E694EE5BD87CDB7502D468B-0000358723-0003243660-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    The story of Wool takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth. Humanity clings to survival in an underground silo, a subterranean city extending over one hundred stories beneath the surface. The book initially follows the character of Holston, the Silo sheriff, with subsequent stories focusing on the characters of Juliette, Jahns, and Marnes. The ongoing story line follows the mystery behind the Silo and the secrets that it holds.

I’m a big fan of post-apocalyptic books, so this one was a no-brainer for me. While the story did’nt progress the way I would have liked
    Exploring the ruined city, the outside landscape etc.
    I still enjoyed the overall journey.I agree with other reviewers about the relationship between Lucas and Juliette.
    IMO it was not a plausible relationship. For me he was a wimpy b@stard not worth the trouble.
    Having said that this is still a very easy and entertaining read .Hopefully I get to read the rest of the series in the future.

Review link http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jan/09/wool-by-hugh-cowey-review

9DFEC414C76A4E7BAC54C5CAB28765DD-0000358723-0003263984-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Bought this for The Great Bazaar only as I had previously read Brayan’s Gold. I have enjoyed this series to-date ,and bought this to fill in the missing parts.
    A short entertaining read ,but IMO not worth the €8.00 asking price.
    Two exciting short stories set in the engrossing world of The Demon Cycle from bestselling fantasy author Peter V. Brett.
    Humanity has been brought to the brink of extinction. Each night, the world is overrun by demons – bloodthirsty creatures of nightmare that have been hunting and killing humanity for over 300 years. A scant few hamlets and half-starved city-states are all that remain of a once proud civilization, and it is only by hiding behind wards, ancient symbols with the power to repel the demons, that they survive. A handful of Messengers brave the night to keep the lines of communication open between the increasingly isolated populace.
    But there was a time when the demons were not so bold. A time when wards did more than hold the demons at bay. They allowed man to fight back, and to win. Messenger Arlen Bales will search anywhere, dare anything, to return this magic to the world.
    Abban, a merchant in the Great Bazaar of Krasia, purports to sell everything a man's heart could desire, including, perhaps, the key to Arlen's quest.

The “The Daylight War” on my shelf ,waiting to be read.:)

92365EC6D0914DBBB7AF51DFA9720EBA-0000358723-0003263985-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Part 4 of The Outlaw Chronicles
    May 1194. Finally released from captivity, Richard the Lionheart is in Normandy engaged in a bloody war to drive the French out of his continental patrimony. Using the brutal tactics of medieval warfare - siege, savagery and scorched earth - the Lionheart is gradually pushing back the forces of King Philip of France. By his side in this epic struggle are Robert, Earl of Locksley, better known as the erstwhile outlaw Robin Hood, and Sir Alan Dale, his loyal friend, and a musician and warrior of great skill and renown. But while the battles rage and the bodies pile up, Robin seems only to be interested in making a profit from the devastation of war, while Alan is preoccupied with discovering the identity the man who ordered his father's death ten years earlier - and the mystery is leading him towards to Paris, deep in the heart of the enemy's territory ...
    While setting the scene ,the above blurb does not do justice to how good this book is .

IMO this is one series that has gotten better with each new book. I was expecting the series to end with this book ,so it was a nice surprise to find out that ,it looks like there will be one more. I enjoyed this book big time and was sorry when it ended.
    Along with fantasy ,I love historical fiction and this book revolves around “Lionheart “ and his campaign in Normandy against King Philip . As he’s one of my favourite historical figures ,one that I have always admired ,this is an added bonus for me. I like the way that what started out as the story of Robin Hood has evolved using Alan Dale as the historical link.While Robin is not the main character in the book ,his presence still pervades the story. A secret Templar Order along with the obligitary grail quest are thrown in for good measure. Although I am all “grailed”out at this stage, having read so many books about the subject. Donald still manages to pull it off and weaves his own "grail plot " nicely into the overall story.

Donald has really brought the medieval era to life for me , and the use of Alan Dale to link all the historical characters and events works brilliantly.
    IMO a great read ,probably the best of the series.

E278AC54D35448BCB9F59CE5DF7C3B11-0000358723-0003287534-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    When Mattias Tannhauser rides into town, on Saint Bartholomew's Eve, his only intention is to find his wife and take her home. But as the massacre of tens of thousands of Huguenots begins, and the city plunges into anarchy, Carla is abducted by Grymonde, the grotesque gang leader of the Yards, and Tannhauser finds himself imprisoned in the Louvre, at the centre of a vicious conspiracy.
    Wanted by the law, the assassins' guild, and a militant army who call themselves the Pilgrims of Saint-Jacques, Tannhauser must rise to pitiless extremes even he has never known before. With no one to help him but a stable boy, he wades into a river of blood without knowing what lies on the other side.
    For me ...............the best Book of 2013.

So many great images/scenes in this book, among them the one in the printers shop has been going around in my head since I first read it. Also Tannhauser on the burning barge standing
    on Herve’s smoldering corpse
    ,who he has just burned alive. Even Tarantino would balk to reproduce some of these on film.
    A harrowing yet enthralling tale full of great characters ,set during the St Bartholomew's massacre in Paris1572.
    Lots of WTF moments, trying to get your head around a killing Tannhauser has just committed ,I can’t believe he just did that. But in hindsight it turns out to makes sense…………………kinda. :D
    Tannhauser is a brilliant character ,unrelenting ,the professional killer among want-to-be bully boys ,who do not realise a shark has entered into the waters they normally prey on. Without Carla his wife to restrain him ,Tannhauser is the gore splattered unstoppable killing machine. While the action scenes are full of unapolgetic detailed realistic violence, there is so much more to this book than just that. The stories of the different characters are beautifully interwoven ,from Carla’s pregnancy ,
    Gymondes struggle of conscience, Pascale’s loss of Innocence
    and Tannhauser’s rage,along with lots more great characters.
    While this is my favourite of the year it is also probably the bloodiest book I have read. I am not saying that “bloodiest book “ and “Best book “ go hand in hand as at its heart this is a love story, and there is so much more to this book than the killing.

Having said that ,I will probably reread “Blood Meridian” to wind down from this gorefest. :eek:

I understand that this is to be a trilogy ,but hopefully I will not have to wait another 6 years for the final part.
    Imo Willock’s does it again ,and while I preferred “The Religion” setting, this is still a five star read IMO.

I understand Willocks lives in Co.Kerry .If anyone knows him ,could they ask him when the final book will be available?. ;)

F857BF20B67C480D9FFDDFD0558681D6-0000358723-0003287535-00500L-7425F81A4350431998F62B0CFEFB1728.jpg
    I Travel by Night marks Robert McCammon's triumphant return to the sort of flamboyant, go-for-broke horror fiction that has earned him an international reputation and a legion of devoted fans. The terrors of the Dark Society, the gothic sensibilities of old New Orleans, and the tortured existence of the unforgettable vampire adventurer Trevor Lawson all combine into a heady brew that will thrill McCammon s loyal readers and earn him new ones as well.

For Lawson, the horrors that stalked the Civil War battlefield at Shiloh were more than just those of war. After being forcibly given the gift of undeath by the mysterious vampire queen LaRouge, Lawson chose to cling to what remained of his humanity and fought his way free of the Dark Society's clutches. In the decades since, he has roamed late nineteenth century America, doing what good he can as he travels by night, combating evils mundane and supernatural, and always seeking the key to regaining a mortal life.

Entertaining enough novella that leaves you wanting more. Because it’s so short you get the feeling the story is only starting when the book ends. Hopefully McCammon develops the character further in the future.

E5C82C3E041F4715B6BFD2EBE3275882-0000358723-0003287533-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Enemies march across the realm wreaking havoc. Region by region, Midkemia is being ripped apart, and loyal spy Jim Dasher and his allies find themselves overpowered at every turn. Meanwhile, palace coups threaten to topple the thrones of Roldem and Rillanon, as Lord Hal of Crydee and champion swordsman Ty Hawkins attempt to smuggle Princess Stephané and Lady Gabriella, her perplexing lady-in-waiting, out of Roldem to safety. But nowhere is safe,including Ylith, Midkemia's strategic bastion, which faces an onslaught of brutal Keshian Dog Soldiers and a mysterious force from beneath the sea. And if Ylith falls, all is lost.
    But there is still a slim hope, as the magician Pug and the Conclave of Shadows undertake a magical quest to reveal the dark force that's orchestrating Midkemia's destruction . . .

I am happy that this series is coming to an end as IMO it has outstayed it's welcome. Having said that I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.
    Great to see Nakor back.
    :)
    Looking forward to reading the final part Magicians End.

The Acacia Trilogy (part 3)

A4D1A3249B4A4263B328490399E853E4-0000358723-0003370886-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    As The Sacred Band begins, Queen Corinn bestrides the world as a result of her mastery of spells from the Book of Elenet. Her younger brother, Dariel, has been sent on a perilous mis¬sion to the Other Lands. And her sister, Mena, travels to the far north to face an invasion of the feared race of the Auldek. As their separate trajectories converge, a series of world-shaping, earth-shattering battles will force the surviving children of the Akaran dynasty to confront their fates head on—and right some ancient wrongs once and for all.

I liked this epic fantasy trilogy big time. There’s lots of twists and turns in this series and while some of the story treads are tied up a little too neatly for my tastes it is overall , still a great read.
    The overall story ,along with the world building ,the different races and the huge range ofgreat characters make this one a highly entertaining trilogy .

“David Anthony Durham has serious chops. I can’t wait to read whatever he writes next."
    —George R. R. Martin

Full in-depth review here. http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2012/05/the_sacred_band.shtml

• Advertisement

B2AE9C35CA38413186D31D9DBEDB6E81-0000358723-0003370884-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    To reach the throne requires that a man journey. Even a path paved with good intentions can lead to hell, and my intentions were never good.

The Hundred converge for Congression to politic upon the corpse of Empire, and while they talk the Dead King makes his move, and I make mine. The world is cracked, time has run through, leaving us clutching at the end days, the future so bright that those who see it are the first to burn. These are the days that have waited for us all our lives. These are my days. I will stand before the Hundred and they will listen. I will take the throne whoever seeks to thwart me, living or dead, and if I must be the last emperor then I will make of it such an ending.

This is where the wise man turns away. This is where the holy kneel and call on God. These are the last miles, my brothers. Don't look to me to save you. Don't think I will not spend you. Run if you have the wit. Pray if you have the soul. Stand your ground if courage is yours. But don't follow me.

Follow me, and I will break your heart.

I love Jorg the main character who I found to be highly entertaining. Lots of laughs for me.
    While the series didn't turn out to be as great as I was expecting, for me there was still lots to like .
    I loved the medieval setting in post-nuclear world .I liked the builders, their hidden secrets and their back story ,also the mix of magic and technology I found interesting.

This book is not as good as the previous books in the series IMO, but the series taken as a whole ,is still well worth a read.

94E8C866DB70479AB7A2421A7C1A7B3E-0000358723-0003370885-00500L-F43720BA70734E9BB1EE837828A4F7C5.jpg
    Fantasy needs anew hero. Meet Gallow—Truesword, Griefbringer, and trouble for anyone whocrosses him. The first in a trilogy of fast-paced historical fantasies
    I have been Trueswordto my friends, Griefbringer to my enemies. To most of you I am just anotherNorthlander bastard here to take your women and drink your mead, but to thosewho know me, my name is Gallow. I fought for my king for seven long years. Ihave served lords and held my shield beside common men. I have fled in defeatand I have tasted victory and I will tell you which is sweeter. Despise methen, for I have slain more of your kin than I can count, though I rememberevery single face. For my king I will travel to the end of the world. I willfind the fabled Crimson Shield so that his legions may carry it to battle, andwhen Sword and Shield must finally clash, there you will find me. I will notmake pacts with devils or bargains with demons for I do not believe in suchthings, and yet I will see them all around me, in men and in their deeds.Remember me then, for I will not suffer such monsters to live. Even if they arethe ones I serve

I wanted to like this ,a lot more than I did. It’s a ok read, enjoyable but nothing special imo . Theres not really a lot of fantasy in this book ,you could just call it a Viking tale with a few name changes. I was expecting a lot more fantasy,so maybe that put me off a bit.

I may read the rest of the trilogy if In get a chance, to see if it gets better,but I won’t go out of my way to seek it out. Maybe if I see the books on sale...............

Love the unusual cover layout,with no title or authors name.
    "Shades of David Gemmell. . . . It's about time someone good took up the torch for heroic fantasy. Inspiring characters, great plot and culture. I read this in one session, utterly absorbed." —Conn Iggulden, author, Conqueror
    Barely visible shades IMO.

61-eCkPft6L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Stark makes a politically incorrect, but strong, case that the Crusades were a defensive war intended to retake lands that had been Christian until the Moslems conquered them. Everything we ve been taught about the Crusades is wrong.Stark describes events that take place over several centuries: wars, intrigue, religious disputes, and the slow transformation of formerly Christian lands under Moslem rule.

Starks biase and sometimes tenuous historical links weaken his overall case . But he still manages to make some interesting points and highlight a different POV of the Crusades. The layout of the book makes this a easy read/reference on the crusades.
    Definitely a book that will cause a lot of arguments. But IMO worth a read.

I very nearly avoided this book when I read the reviewers involved and their reviews.

CEF593C3B1154B9BB7FE4AC2B199BD79-0000358723-0003370888-00500L-0E975C287B3842DF8FBC3FFB1009FE3D.jpg

THE FINAL VOLUME IN THE EPIC RIFTWAR CYCLE.

The dragons are calling…

Civil war is tearing apart the Kingdom of the Isles, for the throne lies empty and rivals are converging. Having spirited his beloved Princess Stephané safely out of Roldem, Hal – now Duke of Crydee – must turn his attention to the defence of the ancient realm so that a king can be anointed by the Congress of Lords, rather than by right of might.

But the greatest threat may well lie out of the hands of men. Somewhere in the Grey Towers Mountains something not of this world is emerging. It will require that alliances be made between mortal enemies if disaster is to be averted.

Elves and men must stand together, ancient heroes must rise again, dragons must fly and Pug, Magnus and the other magic-users of Midkemia must be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice if the whole world is to be saved.

I’m both happy and sad that this series has come to an end .It was past time to conclude the series and Feist tied it up quiet well in the final book IMO. Overall I enjoyed this book bigtime and felt it was an improvement on previous recent volumes. I liked the ending in particular where
    pug is reincarnated, as I felt the circle was completed and the series ended where it started.

2A6A966818144EFFA00B4E848D0FE9D4-0000358723-0003470664-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    Deep under the calm water of a Caribbean lagoon, salvage diver David Moore discovers a sunken Nazi U-boat entombed in the sand. A mysterious relic from the last war. Slowly, the U-boat rises from the depths laden with a long-dead crew, cancerous with rot, mummified for eternity.

Or so Moore thought.
    Written in 1980..............this a oldie. Mccammon has come a long way since then , and while this is not his best book by a long shot, it’s still worth a read.

Set in the Carribean ,with Nazi Zombies and Voodoo ,what’s not to like ;)

7D9E432467DD4936BB3EC749F60ACD43-0000358723-0003470663-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg
    A real page turner , Cornwell does it again.

This is a great series that really brings the period to life. Cornwell’s historical research is top notch ,and this along with the great characters IMO make this series a must read for those who like historical fiction..
    Uhtred is Cornwell's best character imo and also one of my favourite characters……….. ever.

Given the ending I am hopeful there will be one more. Great Stuff !
    The new novel in Bernard Cornwell’s number one bestselling series The Warrior Chronicles, on the making of England and the fate of his great hero, Uhtred of Bebbanburg.

Alfred the Great is dead and Edward his son reigns as king. Wessex survives but peace cannot hold. The Danes in the north, led by Viking Cnut Longsword, stand ready to invade and will never rest until the emerald crown is theirs.

Uhtred, once Alfred’s great warrior but now out of favour with the new king, must lead a band of outcasts north to recapture his old family home, that great Northumbrian fortress, Bebbanburg.

Loyalties will be divided and men will fall, as every Saxon kingdom is drawn into the bloodiest battle yet with the Danes; a war which will decide the fate of every king, and the entire English nation.
    ‘The best battle scenes of any writer I’ve ever read, past or present. Cornwell really makes history come alive’ George R.R. Martin

‘A reminder of just how good a writer he is’ SUNDAY TIMES

‘A master of storytelling’ SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

A runaway success’ OBSERVER

77CE4FCCC79646B09F2E6D8F4AA73A3A-0000358723-0003470662-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

………..Brilliant!

A top notch read with comparisons to Gemmell and Rothfuss ,this one is a great fantasy debut from Anthony Ryan. I enjoyed this book big time and was sorry when it came to the end.
    I am counting the days till part 2 ......Tower Lord ,which is out in July :)

We have fought battles that left more than a hundred corpses on the ground, and not a word of it has ever been set down. The Order fights, but often it fights in shadow, without glory or reward. We have no banners.

Vaelin Al Sorna's life changes for ever the day his father abandons him at the gates of the Sixth Order, a secretive military arm of the Faith. Together with his fellow initiates, Vaelin undertakes a brutal training regime - where the price of failure is often death. Under the tutelage of the Order's masters, he learns how to forge a blade, survive the wilds and kill a man quickly and quietly.

Now his new skills will be put to the test. War is coming. Vaelin is the Sixth Order's deadliest weapon and the Realm's only hope. He must draw upon the very essence of his strength and cunning if he is to survive the coming conflict. Yet as the world teeters on the edge of chaos, Vaelin will learn that the truth can cut deeper than any sword.

red_UK_214.gif

While this was my least favourite Abercrombie book so far,this is still a cracking read.
    I was’nt mad about the story line/setting it reminded me of a numerous westerns storylines mixed together. True grit, Unforgiven , Pale rider etc.
    But having said that ,I loved the dialogue and the characters which where up to the usual high standards.
    I look forward to his next book “Half a King” :)

They burned her home.

They stole her brother and sister.

But vengeance is following.

Shy South hoped to bury her bloody past and ride away smiling, but she'll have to sharpen up some bad old ways to get her family back, and she's not a woman to flinch from what needs doing. She sets off in pursuit with only a pair of oxen and her cowardly old stepfather Lamb for company. But it turns out Lamb's buried a bloody past of his own, and out in the lawless Far Country, the past never stays buried.

Their journey will take them across the barren plains to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feud, duel and massacre, high into the unmapped mountains to a reckoning with the Ghosts. Even worse, it will force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, and his feckless lawyer Temple, two men no one should ever have to trust...

The past never stays buried...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_V3xO_hFIbPAiD9vp_FzKrUx-keD9WeGiR5CmDwiIV7cIMykG9A

A bit slow to start off but overall a very good Zombie tale. The two main characters really work well together and I look forward to their future adventures.

Part two is in the post as I type.

The dead rise…

A mysterious incident in Russia, a blip buried in the news—it’s the only warning humanity receives that civilization will soon be destroyed by a single, voracious virus that creates monsters of men.

Humanity falls…

A lawyer, still grieving over the death of his young wife, begins to write as a form of therapy. Bur he never expected that his anonymous blog would ultimately record humanity’s last days.

The end of the world has begun…

Governments scramble to stop the zombie virus, people panic, so-called “Safe Havens” are established, the world erupts into chaos; soon it’s every man, woman, and child for themselves. Armed only with makeshift weapons and the will to live, a lone survivor will give mankind one last chance against…

Apocalypse Z

• Advertisement

220px-Republic_of_Thieves_by_Scott_Lynch_Cover.jpg
    Quick-witted protagonist Locke is slowly succumbing to poison as his loyal companion, Jean, tries to find someone who can save him. The price of rescue gets the duo involved in running an election campaign in the city-state of Karthain, where the parties are fronts for two factions of terrifyingly powerful mages. The opposition campaign leader is none other than Locke's long-lost love, Sabetha, who knows all of his moves and has a few of her own. A set of flashbacks explores Locke, Jean, and Sabetha's shared past as a theatrical scam goes horribly wrong. Locke and company remain among the most engaging protagonists in fantasy, and Lynch sneaks in some incisive political parody while never overdoing the comedy.
    IMO Nuggets of gold in a sea of mud…………….
    I liked the early stages of the book revolving around locke and his training with chains .After the first few chapters and the introduction of the bondsmage ,I thought great here we go “off on a grand adventure”……….…but that did’nt happen. I think Lynch does a great job with the dialogue and relationships between the different characters .I like Lynch’s writing style ,and while I think Locke and Jean are great characters , overall the story was mostly boring. The storyline revolving around the play and the continuing on/off relationship between locke and sabretas I found tedious .The ending however picked up big time and seems to hint at great things to come in the next book. For me this was my least favourite of lynch’s books so far.

I will probably try Lynch’s next book, depending on reviews.

Advertisement