Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorway - M1 Mass Stop and Checks

• 12-12-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just looking to seek views and opinions on the large scale stop and check that was in operation on the M1 yesterday afternoon / evening.

These are the stats that were released after the excercise

- 3 vehicles were found to be over the speed limit out of 1,730 checked over a 3-hour period at Feltrim, Malahide Road, Dublin,.

-1 detection was recorded during at a Mandatory Alcohol Testing checkpoint which tested 200 drivers over 1 hour on the M1 Motorway at Swords, County Dublin.

Myself i belief that this PR exercise was a horrendous safety breach, I dont generally drive that stretch of motorway but i fully understand its probably one of the busiest stretches in the country.

Having driven throughout Europe i have never seen such a stop and search scheme dreamt up there. Frankly i am perplexed how there was not a significant safety Risk Assessment Carried out on this, as if it was good enough to lash up a few roadworks barriers and funnel traffic into a complete stop. The consequences of this balloon across the motorway network.

Very disappointing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I was heading Northbound yesterday and it caused mayhem both North with rubberneckers and Southbound with the actual checkpoint. I came around a bend to meet break lights and had to put my hazards on. I travel that road daily and it's a very busy spot at that time of the day. I've no problem with any of these checks as they keep us all honest but in this instance it had total disregard for safety IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dingatron wrote: »
    I was heading Northbound yesterday and it caused mayhem both North with rubberneckers and Southbound with the actual checkpoint. I came around a bend to meet break lights and had to put my hazards on. I travel that road daily and it's a very busy spot at that time of the day. I've no problem with any of these checks as they keep us all honest but in this instance it had total disregard for safety IMO.

I dont have issues with Checks, But not on a Motorway. There are safer areas to conduct this sort of setup. The M1 isnt one of them, and from the looks of it achieved nothing of significance.

listermint wrote: »
    I dont have issues with Checks, But not on a Motorway. There are safer areas to conduct this sort of setup. The M1 isnt one of them, and from the looks of it achieved nothing of significance.

It took a drink driver off the road.

Ireland is one of the few countries that actually carry out checkpoints on the roads. With any location selected the safety of motorists and the members conducting it.

From the pictures it looked well laid out with plenty of warning signs. It also looks like it was carried out at a lay-by so there should be adequate space before and after.

As for rubber necking? That's just an example of Ireland's sh1te driving standards.

foreign wrote: »

Ireland is one of the few countries that actually carry out checkpoints on the roads. With any location selected the safety of motorists and the members conducting it.

From the pictures it looked well laid out with plenty of warning signs. It also looks like it was carried out at a lay-by so there should be adequate space before and after.

As for rubber necking? That's just an example of Ireland's sh1te driving standards.

Do we know how many incidents it caused across the network ? Ive seen reports of rear ends occuring each way on the M50.

1 Drink driver is hardly an incredibly catch now for an operation of this sheer scale. So i think thats to be waved around as a success.

And if you want to discuss driving standards prevention is better than cure. The testing system here is laughable. I dont think its up to the Guards to cure that. But surely adding to it is hairbrained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Dingatron wrote: »

I'd love to know why people put on the hazard lights. Is the brake lights or a stationary car not enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

lighterman wrote: »
    I'd love to know why people put on the hazard lights. Is the brake lights or a stationary car not enough

It's to warn people behind to slow down as there is a hazard ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I thought I'd seen it all with the cop standing on the M8 hard shoulder doing speedchecks, but this is bigger Garda bullsiht.

so there is only a few countries that do checkpoints. Will ya go back to your other site.

If the standard of driving is ****e here Why add a checkpoint on a road where cars are traveling at 120kph.

msg11 wrote: »
    It's to warn people behind to slow down as there is a hazard ahead.

I would hope they slow down when they see a stationary vehicle in front of them or even slow down when they see brake lights coming on

Do we know how many incidents it caused across the network ? Ive seen reports of rear ends occuring each way on the M50.

1 Drink driver is hardly an incredibly catch now for an operation of this sheer scale. So i think thats to be waved around as a success.

And if you want to discuss driving standards prevention is better than cure. The testing system here is laughable. I dont think its up to the Guards to cure that. But surely adding to it is hairbrained.

There are collisions every day on the M50, nothing to do with Garda actions.

Also, how is one drink driver in the middle of the day on a busy motorway not a success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would hope they slow down when they see a stationary vehicle in front of them or even slow down when they see brake lights coming on

Standard prcatice throughut europe to use hazard lights to warn of a hazard..

Brake lights could be just a bad driver..depending on how the person following chooses to interpret.

If i see hazard lights I assume there is a hazard somewhere!

If the standard of driving is ****e here Why add a checkpoint on a road where cars are traveling at 120kph.

Why have them on a 50k or a 60k etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

so there is only a few countries that do checkpoints. Will ya go back to your other site.

I agree with foregin it was layout very well. 1 drink driver off the road was worth it he could of killed untold amount people with crash at 120km

There motorway checkpoints on m50 to be fair criminals travel

More checkpoints please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Shame on AGS for doing their jobs! It's a real disgrace when people do what they are paid to do.

As for the 1 drink driver, sure that's potentially at least 1 other persons life saved, who would possibly care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

1 Drink driver is hardly an incredibly catch now

1 single drunk driver could wipe out a family

what if that was your family?

1 Drunk Driver ! killing families ?

What about putting a road block across one of the largest motorways in the country, about the untold accidents that can cause.

Im perplexed by the attitudes that are in here tbh from the members of the service. It would seem that unprofessionalism is rife in the traffic corp if they believe blocking a motorway in the middle of the day/evening is acceptable policing.

This sort of action just would not fly across the water

1 Drunk Driver ! killing families ?

What about putting a road block across one of the largest motorways in the country, about the untold accidents that can cause.

Im perplexed by the attitudes that are in here tbh from the members of the service. It would seem that unprofessionalism is rife in the traffic corp if they believe blocking a motorway in the middle of the day/evening is acceptable policing.

This sort of action just would not fly across the water

how many accidents did it cause?

yes drunk drives have a tendency to cause crashes

crashes have a tendency to claim lives

Scouser wrote: »
    how many accidents did it cause?

yes drunk drives have a tendency to cause crashes

crashes have a tendency to claim lives

Thats like saying how many accidents did the drunk driver cause ? :confused: Sillyness.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

This whole thing was ill conceived and should have been either at the on / off ramps or on National Roads. Not on a 120Kmph motorway. There is no justification for this and road safety alone should have been reason enough not to do it.

Thats like saying how many accidents did the drunk driver cause ? :confused: Sillyness.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

This whole thing was ill conceived and should have been either at the on / off ramps or on National Roads. Not on a 120Kmph motorway. There is no justification for this and road safety alone should have been reason enough not to do it.

Again the arrest of a drink driver is justification enoungh. What about cars with no tax / insurance? Dangerous and defective vehicles?

If you did it at on / off ramps people can see them and turn off. On the motorway the is nowhere to go.

And as said in another post, how many collisions occurred at this checkpoint? I haven't heard of any.

he didnt cause any - he was taken of the road!!

crime prevention

im very thankful that the gards on that checkpoint detected it. they should be commended

i was on that stretch of road yesterday and im glad i got home in one piece

• Advertisement

Again the arrest of a drink driver is justification enoungh. What about cars with no tax / insurance? Dangerous and defective vehicles?

If you did it at on / off ramps people can see them and turn off. On the motorway the is nowhere to go.

And as said in another post, how many collisions occurred at this checkpoint? I haven't heard of any.

The collisions occured kms away from it because of the mess it caused. Tax is all this was about lets not dance around the subject. Its revenue gaining.

None of this would be necessary of the Private Speed Vans where picking up non NCT and non Tax vehicles.

Complete PR mess is all it was. A photo opportunity for top brass. It would be money better spent with a Zero Tolerance to Crime in the center of Dublin City. I see another young man was near fatally stabbed on the Capitals thoroughfare yesterday. Mean while we have about 50 Guards involved in blockading people on a "motorway" of all places.

Brain Drain in Phoenix park it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I came upon one of these checkpoints on the m18 (big difference to the m50/m1 I know) they had us pulled in to one of the rest stops. Two guards directing us in and another Four in the rest stop full check done insurance, tax, licence & breathalyser. Two cars infront if me seemed to have something wrong as they were held there after me. I have no problem with check points but I can understand the frustration it would cause on a busy motorway I was only held up for a maximum of 10 mins .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Well at least the however many thousands caught up in this have it in their heads that the Guards are out there this Christmas.

It's been a crap year on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

No opinion on safe/unsafe question but ;they breath tested 200 drivers in one hour! Fair play to them for efficiency.

Secondly, as an extremely anxious driver who avoids motorways like the plague....I find the stats released VERY reassuring.

(yes, I KNOW they're the safest roads, and I KNOW.my fear is irrational, thanks. So please, save your...eh...data allowance. E-breath?)

The collisions occured kms away from it because of the mess it caused. Tax is all this was about lets not dance around the subject. Its revenue gaining.

None of this would be necessary of the Private Speed Vans where picking up non NCT and non Tax vehicles.

Complete PR mess is all it was. A photo opportunity for top brass. It would be money better spent with a Zero Tolerance to Crime in the center of Dublin City. I see another young man was near fatally stabbed on the Capitals thoroughfare yesterday. Mean while we have about 50 Guards involved in blockading people on a "motorway" of all places.

Brain Drain in Phoenix park it would appear.

Have you evidence that the collisions were caused by the checkpoint? How far past the M50 was the checkpoint? Even if it did occur near the checkpoint it still falls down to driver error not leaving enough room to react.

Cameras in vans can't detect if a vehicle with no NCT is not road worthy, likewise it can't take a car off the road for no insurance.

And the checkpoint was mannd by Traffic Corp members, not Store Street members so the poor victim would still have been stabbed if the checkpoint didn't take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Have you evidence that the collisions were caused by the checkpoint? How far past the M50 was the checkpoint? Even if it did occur near the checkpoint it still falls down to driver error not leaving enough room to react.

Cameras in vans can't detect if a vehicle with no NCT is not road worthy, likewise it can't take a car off the road for no insurance.

And the checkpoint was mannd by Traffic Corp members, not Store Street members so the poor victim would still have been stabbed if the checkpoint didn't take place.

Anpr mondeo from the castle parked before the checkpoint checking regs

Very well planned operation

Charlie members were also present. There's more to traffic than regional

Charlie members were also present. There's more to traffic than regional

Divisional traffic members. Not the ones who would be carrying out regular policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Which is directly proportional to Irelands sh1te road policing standards.

• Advertisement

Divisional traffic members. Not the ones who would be carrying out regular policing.

Stationed in ........

store street?

Advertisement