Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie/American chrismases

Options
  • 11-12-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how do Americans celebrate Christmas?I heard that it isn't a big deal over there they usualy just get Christmas day and stephens day off. it got me thinking that the fuss you see in Hollywood movies over Christmas is fairly far from reality. although in most Hollywood movies you can see the people putting up the Christmas tree in there houses on Christmas eve!:confused:. Is this a normal tradition in America to put up a Christmas tree on Christmas eve? and if so why does everyone not do this? Another thing that perplexes me is how do Irish/Europeans get so much time off at Christmas , if we were to use American example, would we not all be back at work and school on the 27th and have new years day off and that's it. as far as I know everyone in America works xmas eve:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What you need to remember is American has many different religions/beliefs and not all celebrate Christmas, that's why it's not such a big deal over there.

It's still a BIG time of year over in the states with regards the retail aspect. And most Americans put their decorations up well before Christmas Eve.

Ireland is moving more and more like that, I know many different multinationals that only close Christmas Day/St.Stephens day. Most of the call centres here remain open on Christmas time offering treble time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's celbrated much the same as here.

But, from a 'holidays from work' perspective, its not the same amount of time off that we have here.

I think all public holidays in the USA amount to 5 days throughout the year.
    Also, in general, the amount of holidays a worker will get in the USA is 10 - 14 days, compared to us which is above 20. So we can afford to take more holidays over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I have been to the USA once for xmas. Its a big deal alright ! But, the day after, its back to normal business.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

My wifes family always put their tree up on the 15th, a fair few put the tree up just after thanksgiving but I never heard of anyone putting it up on Christmas eve. They celebrate it in much the same way as we do really.

They don't get much time off for anything, holiday time is tiny compared to what you'd get here...they live to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just always seem tmsee it on movies , tree going up I mean on xmas eve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Dickie10 wrote: »
    just always seem tmsee it on movies , tree going up I mean on xmas eve

Yeah but that's usually after some potential tragedy nearly makes the female lead give up on Christmas until the male lead saves the day with a big fluffy tree he chopped down himself and then the kids run into the room screaming 'yay'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Their holidays are completely different to us, if you look at Thanksgiving which is arguably bigger they usually only take the Friday after off to give themselves a long weekend of Wednesday night through to Sunday.

Xmas is the same people tend to get home "for the Holidays" on Xmas Eve with some returning to work on St Stephens Day and the majority back on the 27th.

As someone said their holiday entitlement is less per year, though they do get ~8 personal days which can be taken at their own leisure so these might get used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Currently living in the states, they don't treat it as a huge deal simply because it's so soon after thanksgiving. I've found that their thanksgiving is our christmas, minus the presents. They have turkey and a big family dinner and all that. Christmas day is just up, presents, done.

However, I only have information on where I live, and considering how big USA is it could be completely different on the other side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Just wondering how do Americans celebrate Christmas?I heard that it isn't a big deal over there they usualy just get Christmas day and stephens day off. it got me thinking that the fuss you see in Hollywood movies over Christmas is fairly far from reality. although in most Hollywood movies you can see the people putting up the Christmas tree in there houses on Christmas eve!:confused:. Is this a normal tradition in America to put up a Christmas tree on Christmas eve? and if so why does everyone not do this? Another thing that perplexes me is how do Irish/Europeans get so much time off at Christmas , if we were to use American example, would we not all be back at work and school on the 27th and have new years day off and that's it. as far as I know everyone in America works xmas eve:eek:

This is all the time I am getting off... Do people get more than that without using their annual leave??? Am I working for Scrooge McDuck?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Most people I know who get time off at Christmas have it as part of their annual leave anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Fbjm wrote: »
    Currently living in the states, they don't treat it as a huge deal simply because it's so soon after thanksgiving. I've found that their thanksgiving is our christmas, minus the presents. They have turkey and a big family dinner and all that. Christmas day is just up, presents, done.

However, I only have information on where I live, and considering how big USA is it could be completely different on the other side of the country.

This was my little ones first thanksgiving back home in the US. He said "What!! No presents, just turkey?!!" He was outraged.

We usually do a humbler Thanksgiving and go all out for Christmas. And im sick to death of Turkey at this stage, so I'm doing something else for Christmas dinner.

Thanksgiving is a bigger deal because the WHOLE country celebrates it.

In Ireland Christmas is like Sunday for a month plus a lot more drinking and parties.

Advertisement