Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Newfoundland accent

• 09-12-2013 3:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

Notice anything familiar? This accent was preserved due to how isolated the region was for years.

Mad people who have never stepped foot out of Canada speaking like they've never left Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

"The Hardy Bucks", Canadian style!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to live in newfoundland. The bys in that video are putting a lot of that on for emphasis.

I have doubts if they even are newfies from their constant cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

"The Hardy Bucks", Canadian style!

That's hilarious. The Hardy Bucks is an Irish attempt at Trailer Park Boys, which is Canadian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pffffft

Montserrat is where it's at

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's something similar in (I think) Argentina where a number of families from Wexford moved to and their descendants, despite never having left Argentina, speak English with a Wexford accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

spurious wrote: »
    There's something similar in (I think) Argentina where a number of families from Wexford moved to and their descendants, despite never having left Argentina, speak English with a Wexford accent.

Close but it's a welsh town, where they speak welsh. Gabriel heinze is from around that area.

I remember seeing a piece on RTE news about Irish soldiers leaving some place where they had been for 20ish years. They interviewed a local shop owner, she has never set foot in Ireland but her accent was hilarious, "ah sure oil miss de lads"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

I remember seeing a piece on RTE news about Irish soldiers leaving some place where they had been for 20ish years. They interviewed a local shop owner, she has never set foot in Ireland but her accent was hilarious, "ah sure oil miss de lads"[/QUOTE]

seen that , it was gas , sure they are grand was used by the electronics shop owner

dj jarvis wrote: »
    I remember seeing a piece on RTE news about Irish soldiers leaving some place where they had been for 20ish years. They interviewed a local shop owner, she has never set foot in Ireland but her accent was hilarious, "ah sure oil miss de lads"[/QUOTE]

seen that , it was gas , sure they are grand was used by the electronics shop owner

I had a search on youtube but cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

dj jarvis wrote: »

I had a search on youtube but cant find it

well , you weren't hallucinating , i watched it on the 6 one news, i think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

In the lebanon I think.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/1108/20469282-firms-urge-govt-not-to-reduce-troops-in-lebanon/

Was a better report on one of the radio stations but cant find it.

bing3 wrote: »
    In the lebanon I think.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/1108/20469282-firms-urge-govt-not-to-reduce-troops-in-lebanon/

Was a better report on one of the radio stations but cant find it.

Very funny. "30 years"

The one I remember was from a few years back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Here's a few with that familiar lilt alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Didn't find a video but i did find this article from last months Irish Times about the Argentinians speaking with an Irish accent.
    Dickie Kelly, whose grandfather emigrated from Co Westmeath to Argentina in 1862, is showing me around the graveyard in Mercedes, a town about 80km from Buenos Aires, when he paused at the burial plot of the Pallottine order. Dickie, who speaks English with a strong Irish midlands accent, points to a long marble gravestone in the corner of the Pallottine plot inscribed with three names.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/murder-sainthood-and-irishness-in-argentina-1.1583542

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I spent some time there before, I think they sound like a mix between Irish, West Country England, and mostly North American.

Advertisement