Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Christmas guide & schedule

• 09-12-2013 5:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Got my Christmas RTE guide earlier today after a long search. All programmes that I want to watch highlighted. Christmas really starts now.

What are the programmes you will have highlighted?

Some of my ones are the hurling year in review, Home Alone 2, White Christmas, Father Ted christmas special, Willy Wonka, Die Hard, Mrs Brown and Big Fat quiz of the year.

Unfortunately Bad Santa and Miracle on 34th Street seem to only be on Sky Christmas. Will have to buy the dvd's I think!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jersman wrote: »
    Got my Christmas RTE guide earlier today after a long search. All programmes that I want to watch highlighted. Christmas really starts now.

Some of my ones are the hurling year in review, Home Alone 2, White Christmas, Father Ted christmas special, Willy Wonka, Die Hard, Mrs Brown and Big Fat quiz of the year.

Unfortunately Bad Santa and Miracle on 34th Street seem to only be on Sky Christmas. Will have to buy the dvd's I think!!

It's out?! Yay! Must pick it up!

Did you hear also that RTE, BBC etc can't show Elf this year cos Sky bought the broadcasting rights to it! WTF?! :mad:

I mean I know I have it on DVD but it's not the same as when it's on TV and you just know everyone else is watching it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭jersman

Yea Sky seem to have the rights to a lot of films this year. The ones mentioned already and also National Lampoons and Jingle all the Way.

Other highlights im looking forward to are Sherlock, the last two episodes of Mad Dogs and all the GAA reviews
    leahyl wrote: »
    It's out?! Yay! Must pick it up!

Did you hear also that RTE, BBC etc can't show Elf this year cos Sky bought the broadcasting rights to it! WTF?! :mad:

I mean I know I have it on DVD but it's not the same as when it's on TV and you just know everyone else is watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I hope the original Santa clause the movie is on this year it's my all time favourite and this year my kids are old enough to really understand it

Yea it's on Christmas morning on UTV
    elsy wrote: »
    I hope the original Santa clause the movie is on this year it's my all time favourite and this year my kids are old enough to really understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

No Michael Collins, sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I know sick of them already,poor selection on sky christmas,not even "A wonderful life"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

It's out?!? EEEEEK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Bought it but only flicked through it. Want to keep the magical hope that there will be something decent on for just a little longer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Which shops did ye get it in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I bought it the last two years and aside from the crossword I don't think I used it once... I know its tradition but I rarely watch live tv anymore... I think it's time to call it a day with the RTE Guide! :eek:

• Advertisement

I could only find it in Tesco in Rathfarnham yesterday but it's all over Dublin today.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Which shops did ye get it in?

There are still plenty of people who buy it. You even bought it and didn't use it. RTE are not bothered if people buy it and don't use it as it's still profit for them. Maybe it's just time for you to call it a day and not buy it anymore if you are not going to use it?
    Loughc wrote: »
    I bought it the last two years and aside from the crossword I don't think I used it once... I know its tradition but I rarely watch live tv anymore... I think it's time to call it a day with the RTE Guide! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There are still plenty of people who buy it. You even bought it and didn't use it. RTE are not bothered if people buy it and don't use it as it's still profit for them. Maybe it's just time for you to call it a day and not buy it anymore if you are not going to use it?

Yes that's what I stated in my last post....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 coconutpie

Yea Sky seem to have the rights to a lot of films this year. The ones mentioned already and also National Lampoons and Jingle all the Way.

Other highlights im looking forward to are Sherlock, the last two episodes of Mad Dogs and all the GAA reviews

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation was on a couple of weeks ago. If it is Sky that have it, it must have been on Sky 1 cause I recorded it and don't have any of the movie channels.

Yea Sky One showed National Lampoons and Jingle all the Way in early November and are showing Elf after Christmas but for the main Christmas period you will only see them on Sky movies.
    coconutpie wrote: »
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation was on a couple of weeks ago. If it is Sky that have it, it must have been on Sky 1 cause I recorded it and don't have any of the movie channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As long as I get to see It's A Wonderful Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »

I haven't used it as a TV guide in a long time but I like reading the articles and I especially like any food bits that are in it. Every year when I'm buying it I have a little 'do I really need it?' moment but it's tradition to I always buy it. :)

Like a lot of things at Christmas money is spent on things we don't actually need but do because it's tradition. All part of Christmas for those lucky enough to have the money to spend/waste on these things.
    I haven't used it as a TV guide in a long time but I like reading the articles and I especially like any food bits that are in it. Every year when I'm buying it I have a little 'do I really need it?' moment but it's tradition to I always buy it. :)

That's on plenty of times anyway. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning on RTE 1
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    As long as I get to see It's A Wonderful Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Would anyone know are there any websites where you can see the detailed Christmas listings for RTE and TV 3 and Tg4 ?

• Advertisement

Go on splash out the €2 or €3.50 on a TV Now or RTE Guide and you will have all the listings together. Not much to spend when you consider the expense of Christmas already.
    180567 wrote: »
    Would anyone know are there any websites where you can see the detailed Christmas listings for RTE and TV 3 and Tg4 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Go on splash out the €2 or €3.50 on a TV Now or RTE Guide and you will have all the listings together. Not much to spend when you consider the expense of Christmas already.

I'll be buying the guide later on. Just stuck in work at the moment and eager to see whats going to be on on Christmas day and Stephens day .:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I got sick of seeing the same old faces in the RTE guide, so I buy the Radio Times now, much better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I get the TV Now and got the Christmas edition of it today. :D

I was looking for that today but couldn't find it in any shop
    Posy wrote: »
    I get the TV Now and got the Christmas edition of it today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

My Mum, my Aunt and little old me have a tradition that we all get a copy of the RTE Guide and its a race to do the big crossword. Usually we get stuck on a couple and so starts the sharing of answers and the debate begins! " How did you get that answer? , nope that can't be right cause I have an 'a' in there... oh wait... what was your answer for 18 down.. how did you arrive at that one.. ":P

The winner of course is the person who completes that last answer... let the madness begin!

That's a cracking tradition and another reason why the RTE guide will always be a big seller at Christmas regardless of how many free TV supplements are in newspapers etc. and digital TV guides
    eskimocat wrote: »
    My Mum, my Aunt and little old me have a tradition that we all get a copy of the RTE Guide and its a race to do the big crossword. Usually we get stuck on a couple and so starts the sharing of answers and the debate begins! " How did you get that answer? , nope that can't be right cause I have an 'a' in there... oh wait... what was your answer for 18 down.. how did you arrive at that one.. ":P

The winner of course is the person who completes that last answer... let the madness begin!

I was looking for that today but couldn't find it in any shop
    I got it in Dunnes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

The same old story with the RTE Guide this year.....Pat Short & MO'C on the cover.....again! They can keep it.... :mad:

• Advertisement

The TV Now has Brendan O'Carroll as Mrs. Brown- I don't know if that's better or worse. :/

Advertisement