Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tablet for Christmas

Options
  • 29-11-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I was wondering if any one could give me some advice, I'm looking to buy my OH a tablet for Christmas. It would mostly be used for games.

He doesn't seem to bothered about the tablet having the best specs but that the same time I don't want to get him something that won't be up to task.

He currently has a basic, old and broken android tablet (Cortex A8 1GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 8GB Storage) but ideally I'd like to get him something can update the out of box version of android when needed to if that's possible.

I was thinking along the lines of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 or a Ipad Mini (whilst price wise its doable on these it would be a tiny bit of a stretch) or would someone else be able to recommend one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Google Nexus 7 2013, no brainer about 219E
    I was wondering if any one could give me some advice, I'm looking to buy my OH a tablet for Christmas. It would mostly be used for games.

He doesn't seem to bothered about the tablet having the best specs but that the same time I don't want to get him something that won't be up to task.

He currently has a basic, old and broken android tablet (Cortex A8 1GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 8GB Storage) but ideally I'd like to get him something can update the out of box version of android when needed to if that's possible.

I was thinking along the lines of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 or a Ipad Mini (whilst price wise its doable on these it would be a tiny bit of a stretch) or would someone else be able to recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

I was looking the @Tab 10.1 yesterday in Click. Its got a • Quad Core 1.6GHz CPU, HDMI output

http://www.click.ie/attab-10-1-quad-core.html

Its on special offer at €159 in Click.

Mini HDMI. USB 2.0, Micro USB Port, Micro SD Card Slot which the Nexus does not have.

It all depends on whats important to you - External Ports and Processor speed then go for the @Tab. v Brand recognition and screen quality go for the Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I was looking the @Tab 10.1 yesterday in Click. Its got a • Quad Core 1.6GHz CPU, HDMI output

http://www.click.ie/attab-10-1-quad-core.html

Its on special offer at €159 in Click.

Mini HDMI. USB 2.0, Micro USB Port, Micro SD Card Slot which the Nexus does not have.

It all depends on whats important to you - External Ports and Processor speed then go for the @Tab. v Brand recognition and screen quality go for the Nexus.

So why would you go for a less powerful tablet if processing power is your concern? There's also a massive difference in build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

How would a an ipad mini (1st gen) compare to Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" or a Nexus 7 (2013)?

Advertisement