Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

megadodge wrote: »
    A positive post from Gene!!!!

You see, it's not actually that hard to do :)

I have quite a few positive things to say but they rarely need to be said. It was necessary to spread the good word about SOG :D

Many don't realise his level of technical skill unfortunately. Haters gonna hate!

white-kid-dance-club.gif

pac_man wrote: »
    I think Ward gets away with murder in his fights. Far too often on Saturday night when his was missing with the jab, he'd pull his opponent head back so he couldn't counter, it's actually quite clever. I think he would outsmart Calzaghe but I just wish ref's would take a more pro-active stance on his persistent fouling.

He does foul a lot. But he has every right to keep fouling if the ref doesn't call him. Rodriguez was filthy too.

My personal favourite is when he lands the power jab, pulls you in and cracks you with the elbow, then lands another jab and away again or all clinched up. Must find a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

I think Ward gets away with murder in his fights. Far too often on Saturday night when his was missing with the jab, he'd pull his opponent head back so he couldn't counter, it's actually quite clever. I think he would outsmart Calzaghe but I just wish ref's would take a more pro-active stance on his persistent fouling.

I think he Would out smart calzaghe too. Seen as he is retired 4 or 5 years.

I think he Would out smart calzaghe too. Seen as he is retired 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not an upcoming fight any more, but Koki Kameda of Japan just beat Jung Oh Son tonight in Korea.

And, not sure if this is the place for it, but remember the name Kazuto Ioka. One for the future, although he's already a world champion.

• Advertisement

In addition to the abovementioned for this weekend, Anthony Dirrell is fighting Sakio Bike. That's Anthony, not Andre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Biggest test of Stephen Ormond's career next Saturday as he fights Derry Matthews. Great card for the Malignaggi Judah fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Biggest test of Stephen Ormond's career next Saturday as he fights Derry Matthews. Great card for the Malignaggi Judah fight too.

SS will be showing Ormonde's European title bid. I can't see him lasting 12 rds.

For WBO European Lightweight title. BoxRec: bout subject to change & commission approval

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ormond already holds the WBO European title. I don't think he will be stopped, he has a great chin and is very tough. Derry Mathews is obviously a huge step up in class and its a big ask but he is beatable.

walshb wrote: »
    SS will be showing Ormonde's European title bid. I can't see him lasting 12 rds.

For WBO European Lightweight title. BoxRec: bout subject to change & commission approval

On boxnation http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches/

It should be a good fight regardless, nearly all of Derry Matthews' fights are.

• Advertisement

On boxnation http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches/

It should be a good fight regardless, nearly all of Derry Matthews' fights are.

Thanks for that. I was almost certain that Sky were showing it. I do recall them advertising it a couple of months back. They must have lost it. I love BoxNation!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

walshb wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I was almost certain that Sky were showing it. I do recall them advertising it a couple of months back. They must have lost it. I love BoxNation!

Derry Matthews is a Frank Warren fighter now, so that's probably why? Plus Boxnation showed Ormonds fight at that fancy dinner do a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Darren Barker in Germany to defend his IBF middle weight title against Felix Sturm. Should be a very close fight. Think Barker might just sneak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Don't forget about the battle of Brooklyn Paulie Malignaggie vrs Zab Judah. Neither will rise to the top of either the 140 or 147 divisions but should be a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Paulie on points at 13/8 looks a decent bet.

Two complete has beens, or maybe not? Probably produce FOTY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

Two big personalities at least. Big change in the tone of the build up compared with their last fights.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Two big personalities at least. Big change in the tone of the build up compared with their last fights.

The Alexander Porter fight contains two superior boxers than main event, Alexander should win but Porter could surprise me. Lara and Trout is another brilliant contest.
    All three fights could go either way and contain world class or very close to world class fighters, as long as referees or judges don't mess up it could be a rare good night for boxing.

Any thoughts on Broner-Maidana?

Any thoughts on Broner-Maidana?

Broner will be made work hard. It is a step up for him but if he wants to taken seriously at the top level in this division he needs to win well.

• Advertisement

Unless Maidana has miraculously changed his style with Robert Garcia, I can see Broner winning quite comfortably. I think Maidana only fights one way,walks in straight lines and gets hit fairly easy so Broner should be able to pick him off.

That's how I see it too. The only thing is, if Maidana can impose himself at all and force Broner to backpedal then he has a real shout. Broner does not move well at all when he's under pressure, it'd give Maidana a real opportunity to make something happen.

If it's toe to toe and Broner can throw with his feet set then he should win well and look good in the process. Maidana will be a sucker for the uppercut. Doesn't take shots to the body that well either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Canelo-Cotto is almost a done deal apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair play to Cotto I must say, he's been past his best for a while now but he's still managing to make big-money fights.

I'm surprised by how sold people seem to be on Cotto after his last fight, the old Cotto's back etc.

To me at least, Cotto has looked too small to impose himself and bully people at 154 like he did back in the good old days. He wasn't even that effective in that guise at 147. To me, Pedro Diaz had brought a vital dimension to his game at 154 by getting him to move and box a lot more, instead of walking into guys who were too big for him to really hurt.

But now it looks like he's back to trying that approach again. I'd like to be wrong but I'm not at all convinced. A Canelo or a Martinez could badly hurt Cotto if he's trying to step to them and trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Macklin also fighting this weekend against Lamar Russ. Never heard of him but hopefully Macklin comes back unscathed for a potential showdown with Lee in March.

Will this be shown anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Will this be shown anywhere?

Sky Sports have his card. Starts at 2am. Presumably they will show the Macklin fight anyway.

Showtime are doing an All Access series for the Broner-Maidana fight as well. Just goes to show how hard Broner is being pushed. There's so much invested in him as a 'brand' that it would lead you to think there's no way he'd have been paired with Maidana if they thought he could lose.

It's going to be tough for Maidana to win rounds given that Broner is likely to be scoring the more eye-catching shots, as well as the fact that Broner is the house fighter anyway. One avenue of opportunity for him is how available Broner was for right hands to the body in the Malignaggi fight. Maidana does hit pretty hard. He might well give Broner something to worry about on that front.

Showtime are doing an All Access series for the Broner-Maidana fight as well. Just goes to show how hard Broner is being pushed. There's so much invested in him as a 'brand' that it would lead you to think there's no way he'd have been paired with Maidana if they thought he could lose.

It's going to be tough for Maidana to win rounds given that Broner is likely to be scoring the more eye-catching shots, as well as the fact that Broner is the house fighter anyway. One avenue of opportunity for him is how available Broner was for right hands to the body in the Malignaggi fight. Maidana does hit pretty hard. He might well give Broner something to worry about on that front.

Nice one. Post when you get the links, please!

Seen a Few Barker interviews and i get the feeling he has Done everything he ever wanted. I hope he has not lost the hurger. Because he will. Losè If he is not fully focused he is not good enough to have off nights and Win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

What time can we expect Ormond in the ring at?

Advertisement