Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling and Grammar Waiver Question?

• 28-11-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

My brother is dyslexic and has a spelling and grammar waiver for his exams but since he went to an all Irish Primary school and the whole family speak Irish he decided he wants to do Irish for his exams.
    His teacher keeps giving him back things and marking them on spelling and grammar and saying that he needs to improve and that it's terrible and stuff.
    He's really upset and confused as no matter what he tries she says it's wrong.
    After writing a letter to her explaining he has the waiver she responded by saying that you don't get a waiver for honours Irish in the Junior Cert.

I'm going to ring the dyslexic association to find out about this tomorrow but in the meantime, Can someone please explain the logic behind this if it is true? I need to reassure him in some way as he is very distressed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alaragh

I would also like to point out that his spoken Irish is fluent since the age of 4 so it's not his comprehension of the language that's that problem here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He can of course have a spelling and grammar waiver for Irish, at whatever level he is doing it. It would be slightly unusual that a child with dyslexia would not avail of a complete exemption from Irish, but good for him giving it a go.

I think the teacher will find he is fully entitled to his spelling and grammar waiver in Irish. God knows there are enough kids trying to get out of doing Irish at all and here's a young lad choosing to do it even though he finds it difficult - I sometimes wonder about exactly what some teaching colleagues think is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alaragh

Thank you!

I thought it was a bit odd alright that he had a waiver for honours French but not for Irish. He's such a good kid as well and puts in so much time and effort to come out with good marks that I find it infuriating that he's being told he's not good enough at something that he loves and puts a lot of work into.
    He's a little more relaxed now thankfully, I was worried that this would turn him off the idea of Irish which would be very sad since it's such a big part of our lives here at home.

Advertisement