Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mineral bolus

• 25-11-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone using mineral boluses and do you find them good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭visatorro

I gave to everything in the place this year. I think they look Better because of the bolus. The calves born this autumn are fine healthy calves with cows doin well. There seems to be alot of different types on the market now. I used allsure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Im using the allsure trace bolus for cows and in calfs and calf bolus for calves.Some shine of them all summer,No brown coats like i had before i started using it which was a lack of copper.Thrive and performance is also ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Do you give the magnesium bolus going to grass?
    Would copper cobalt drench be any benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

we have used the allsure on cows for the last few years ... however big problems last spring when the cows went on grass found a number of boluses at the 2 to 3 month stage

we hadn't noticed this previously will be looking at different options next year

we have also gone from using all sure on the sheep cos of the price, and find the same performance from Mayo Health Care at lesser cost

Also find find MHC firm much more approachable and easy to deal with,

Having said that still not decided if we will use thier bolus on the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Had a problem with the metal double gun for the Allsure bolus.
    The head of it broke off and got swallowed along with the bolus.
    So be aware of that fault. Was far from impressed as it was only after dosing 3 animals from new. :mad:

I think the mineral bolus is ideal for hiefers and timid stock that may not get the minerals sprinkled on the silage. Too expensive to use indiscriminately unless you have a proven need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Use a dose called bovitrace. I get it from the vet, 90 for 2.5 liters. Cows get 50ml at drying off, weanlings get it every second dose and calves get it every 6 weeks. Notice a fair difference in the stock since started using it in 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely plan on using a bolus in the spring at turnout. Powdered mineral on silage indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

49801 wrote: »
    Had a problem with the metal double gun for the Allsure bolus.
    The head of it broke off and got swallowed along with the bolus.
    So be aware of that fault. Was far from impressed as it was only after dosing 3 animals from new. :mad:

I think the mineral bolus is ideal for hiefers and timid stock that may not get the minerals sprinkled on the silage. Too expensive to use indiscriminately unless you have a proven need.

I think the best double bolus metal applicator that ive seen is the Osmonds one .. is that the one that broke on you? Tim doing the advert/testimony here for them and you'd think they would give him a double applicator

http://www.osmonds.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=234&Itemid=293

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

We gave the allsure to all our store bullocks last year, we were discussing it last night wondering if it's worth the cost to give it to this years batch.... Thoughts welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭vinne

This year going to give dairy cows the new "all guard bolus" plus a mineral lick block thinking that should cover everything . Last year just used a lick block from a different company they were costly enough and a few of them broke and the cows were standing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I gave two different types this year. CoseIcure and All-trace. The batch of cattle that received the CoseIcure were in a high molybdenum area and the local vet recommended these to counter it. That was the only reason I got them. Each bolus contains Copper, Cobalt, Iodine and Selenium. They are also the dearest at €12 per cow

In years gone by I always used all-trace and I used it again on the cattle at home because it contains six trace elements (Copper, Cobalt, Selenium, Manganese, Zinc and Iodine) and three vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin E)

They both cover the animal for 8 months but I would choose all-trace because it has the extra minerals and vitamins.

Funny how the more expensive bolus has less minerals and vitamins though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bodacious wrote: »
    I think the best double bolus metal applicator that ive seen is the Osmonds one .. is that the one that broke on you? Tim doing the advert/testimony here for them and you'd think they would give him a double applicator

http://www.osmonds.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=234&Itemid=293

Not sure. Pretty sure it was an all trace branded one.
    Had to use an applicator for mag bolus... Disaster of a job then... Bolus kept falling on ground and cracking:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Using the cleated minerals here in the water. Expensive, but they all the cattle have to drink, so you know that they are taking it in. No worries about a bolus coming up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

reilig wrote: »
    No worries about a bolus coming up again.

And it does happen. I noticed one when cleaning down cubicles last year. What mineral are you using? any link to product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Im using the allsure trace bolus for cows and in calfs and calf bolus for calves.Some shine of them all summer,No brown coats like i had before i started using it which was a lack of copper.Thrive and performance is also ahead

How much are they?? What's the difference between all sure and all trace boils besides the fact made by diff companies....

Looked at the DVD of farmers talking bout them the other nite... Your neighbour was one of the guys using them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

RobinBanks wrote: »
    And it does happen. I noticed one when cleaning down cubicles last year. What mineral are you using? any link to product?

http://www.mayohealthcare.ie/multi_trace_element_supplement_bolus_alternative_bf.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I contacted mayo healthcare a few weeks back about the All Guard bolus.
    http://www.mayohealthcare.ie/ALL%20GUARD.pdf

They quoted me €6 a bolus delivered.
    We plan to use these next summer and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Been using allsure here the past 6/7 years now. Getting pricey at 5.80 a pop, wonder what's the alternative. I wouldn't worry too much if I found one coughed up after about 3 months, I reckon most of the minerals have been adsorbed out of it by then. We usually give them to cows about 6 weeks before calving.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Phil Iam

blue5000 wrote: »
    We usually give them to cows about 6 weeks before calving.
    Would they do as a pre calver mineral and as the would only have to cover a shorter time span could you get away with giving them only one ?

Been using allsure here the past 6/7 years now. Getting pricey at 5.80 a pop, wonder what's the alternative. I wouldn't worry too much if I found one coughed up after about 3 months, I reckon most of the minerals have been adsorbed out of it by then. We usually give them to cows about 6 weeks before calving.

Im trying the all sure bolus this year ... might leave off on the lifeline yellow precalver buckets.

done some today.. has everyone got one nightmare cow to handle like I have.. she is a total B**ch to dose or bolus.. she bit the top of the second bolus with temper before I even got it into her mouth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

I did all the cows on friday last with all trace high iodine bolus, never did it before calving so hoping to see the benefits regards brreding next april,

wonder should I give them another two bolus in april before breeding and when should I give the maiden heifers a bolus(all dairy stock)

Phil Iam wrote: »
    Would they do as a pre calver mineral and as the would only have to cover a shorter time span could you get away with giving them only one ?
    It works for me along with seaweed meal. I can't say whether it will work for you, I don't know what your soils, forage or cows are deficient in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Blue, do you give 2 per cow?

munkus wrote: »
    Blue, do you give 2 per cow?
    Only 1, but maybe a few late(may/june) calvers would get one before they go on kale, with a calf at foot and then another one after the main bunch of dry cows got theirs.

Only 1, but maybe a few late(may/june) calvers would get one before they go on kale, with a calf at foot and then another one after the main bunch of dry cows got theirs.

I only read the box there again, I did the same as you one application (green and black ) costing me E6.20 a cow but it says animals over 550kg should get 2 applications ie 4 boluses, all my cows over 550kg.. am I being tight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Bodacious wrote: »
    I only read the box there again, I did the same as you one application (green and black ) costing me E6.20 a cow but it says animals over 550kg should get 2 applications ie 4 boluses, all my cows over 550kg.. am I being tight?

That's my point. Who has suckler cows under 550kgs? Over 12 quid a cow is expensive. In saying that, 1 bolus is probably grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

cows over 550kg need a certain amount of minerals ach day and that why 2 bolus is needed to fulfil there requirement fo maximum effect over 6 months if not you will have to go in sooner in with other bolus than recommened on box

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Seanhorse91

What are people on here doing with regard mineral supplementation for suckler cows? Sorry for pulling up an old thread but I'm unsure what to do.
    Currently giving a mineral drench 3 weeks before calving and a few weeks after. Pre calver buckets month or more before calving. No real problems.
    Cows look abit light in themselves after the summer. They need a good dose for worms so going with trodax during the week.
    Just wondering should I try a bolus in them to help them out or just the mineral drench?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Just tried Tramazole 10%

On mine here for 1st time. Was using normectin. I'm looking around at what bolus to use. Not.ally give them lick bucket before calving.but silage might not be awesome this year as went for bulk so interested in any recommendations. Calving in march

• Advertisement

What are people on here doing with regard mineral supplementation for suckler cows? Sorry for pulling up an old thread but I'm unsure what to do.
    Currently giving a mineral drench 3 weeks before calving and a few weeks after. Pre calver buckets month or more before calving. No real problems.
    Cows look abit light in themselves after the summer. They need a good dose for worms so going with trodax during the week.
    Just wondering should I try a bolus in them to help them out or just the mineral drench?

We'll leave it up, but some old posters are gone.

Are you going in twice with trodax? AFAIK it only kills mature fluke, so you would have cows picking them up again before housing. To do them once with trodax they'd want to be in for 6 weeks approx.

Advertisement