Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J-1 FAQ & Links Superthread (Read first before posting) **UPDATED 11/7/2011**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

silja wrote: »
    Normally they say something either way ("congrats" or "Have a nice time in the USA this summer" or "I am sorry we cannot issue you a visa because..." or "Before we issue your visa, we need to investigate.."). If they kept your passport and documents, that is a good sign though. Did they give you a piece of paper with anything written on it?

Hmm, well he didn't say anything along the lines of congrats, just "all done now, you may leave" or something like that. The only piece of paper I received from him was a receipt for the interview with his signature on it. But if generally he would have told me there and then that he couldn't issue me a visa then I'll take it as a positive sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Going to copy and paste a question from I found from a few years back which I couldn't find an answer to, any help is appreciated here lads.

"Alright guys,

I'm filling out the DS-160 form at the moment. Very irritating form to fill out, anyway... I have two questions:

1] Passport book number. As far as I'm aware, we don't have them here in Ireland. An E.U. website [not 100% reliable] said it's the same as the passport number so I have it down as that at the moment. Is that right?

2] Photo. It requires you to upload a photo, but says if you have trouble doing this, or do not own a digital camera, you can buy the photos in a pharmacy instead. All well and good, but on the DS-160 form when I click "next" at this stage [I.e. to skip it] it won't let leave me. Anybody here experience this before?"

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Need a hand if anyone knows,

Will Postmen not delivery post if our name isn't on the postbox? Currently subletting an apartment in Chicago until September and we ordered money cards over a week ago, and they still haven't arrived.

The more worrying thing is the fact that we have just ordered our Social Security numbers. There is a basket in the common area where other post seems to go. Would putting up a sign asking for any post with our names to be left there be sufficient?

The post office isn't too far away so going to drop down there on Monday and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

SantryRed wrote: »
    Need a hand if anyone knows,

Will Postmen not delivery post if our name isn't on the postbox? Currently subletting an apartment in Chicago until September and we ordered money cards over a week ago, and they still haven't arrived.

The more worrying thing is the fact that we have just ordered our Social Security numbers. There is a basket in the common area where other post seems to go. Would putting up a sign asking for any post with our names to be left there be sufficient?

The post office isn't too far away so going to drop down there on Monday and see what they say, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this situation?

Was there a yellow form in your postbox when you moved in? You need to fill this out and send it to your local post office. I had a similar problem when I moved over, and my SS card & ID card were not delivered because my name wasn't on the postbox. If there is no form just go to your local post office and talk to them about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mmaniac

Well I went for my J1 visa interview Monday morning. Everything went smoothly and I was only asked 4 Questions total. Visa was granted but they gave me my ds 2019 form back and I have to change the remarks bit from none to Training. Only problem is my sponsor company Is in Maine. They are sending over a new one which will take 3 days. They said Its the first time theyve ever experienced this. Just my luck :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SantryRed wrote: »

Yeah, go to the post office. Don't just put up a sign. Find out too where your local sorting office is. That is where your mail is sorted at, and where your post man operates from. Your local post office won't have much to do with the day to day delivery of your post. Even if you notify them there of your current address, it can take up to 10 working days to get you into the system. What you need to find out is what happened to post that has already been sent out to you & that is where the sorting office comes in. Bring some photo ID with you, and a proof of address (utility bill, lease etc etc) if you have it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Quick question for those who completed the DS-160 recently. If your photos have been accepted online, do you still need to bring a printed copy to the embassy interview? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BadLuckBrian

I'm currently on a J1, but have not got a job and been here since May 27th. I was thinking of going home but decided that I might stay (im due to be here another 5 weeks). I have enough money to get by without a job for the 5 weeks but I received a text yesterday saying I urgently need to submit a job offer form otherwise I'll have my program terminated. Just wondering does anyone know how strict they are on this? I intend to get some kinda job but its proving difficult so I'm not sure how long it takes. Do people actually get sent home, or is it recommended to maybe call them and explain my situation? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Are you on the summer J-1 or 1 year? If its the summer J-1, it depends on the J-1 company. I went once with USIT and once with SAYIT and was unsuccessful in getting a job both summers. The J-1 companies never tried to send us home though, we just called and said it was impossible to find work but that we were still supporting ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Macken14

Hi.
    I am currently on a J1 and have found a job that isnt allowed by my company Sayit. I never registered any job in the 30 day period and now after 44 days i have been contacted by my company to contact interexchange which i did. they said i have 30 days to leave the country and there will be no consequences when travelling to america in the future . My problem is that my flight home is 5 days after the 30 day period. I was wondering what might happen if i ignored what interexchange said and just went home on my original flight?
    Advice needed, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Macken14 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I am currently on a J1 and have found a job that isnt allowed by my company Sayit. I never registered any job in the 30 day period and now after 44 days i have been contacted by my company to contact interexchange which i did. they said i have 30 days to leave the country and there will be no consequences when travelling to america in the future . My problem is that my flight home is 5 days after the 30 day period. I was wondering what might happen if i ignored what interexchange said and just went home on my original flight?
    Advice needed, thanks

take their threats with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 16 osullm36

I hope this is the right place to post my question because I really hope I can get some advice?

I'm currently on my J1 12 month visa in NY and it's coming to an end in Nov, however I'd like to apply for a short term 6 month extension. I'm not looking for a H1B or an additional year but I'm currently in full time employment and would like to extend by a few extra months.

I'm hoping because I work in the non profit sector and that I'm working on a specific project might help me achieve a short term extension?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Recent grad

Hi the information above has been great and i am wondering if i can get some help,

me and a friend are heading to the states on a 12 month graduate visa to new york, we are just worried in relation to jobs.

does it have to be an internship paid/unpaid or if you secure a job with a company following an interview will they sign off on the working visa?

there has been responses for jobs we have applied for but they have not been for internships?

any light on this would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

As long the job is related to your field your grand as far as I know, most of the jobs I applied for are entry level, so I hope it be ok,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 propagandavm

I think the iiic said i have to get a paid job because they were telling me what taxes i don't have to pay etc.

When are you going to ny? Im going on my own friday week!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

Better of holding out for a paid job, I'm going this Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Recent grad

great thanks for this?

have you been for and witnessed this first hand?

i have been applying for plenty of jobs related to my field which is business so its pretty open as to where i can work and have been already invited to interviews.

if you have been on the usa grad visa and worked can i ask where and was it an internship?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grimey90

Just wondering is their anyone travelling to or already doing the 1 year j1 visa in Chicago?

I'm travelling over on the 11th October, I studied Corporate Law and have 2 interviews for paralegal work when I arrive, but that's after months of hounding Irish American Lawyers on LinkedIn with e-mails and my resume.

Hopefully things will work out fine, I've heard loads from summer j1ers who have gone to Chicago about the beach, lollapalooza and roof top parties but would love to hear from people who have been in Chicago during the Winter and Spring months on what to do and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Guys how does one go about getting a J1 Visa for Summer '14?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CommerceKid

Hey everyone!

Looking for advice on where to go for a J1 this summer!
    Me and my friends have my hearts set on the west coast, so we are thinking either Huntington Beach, Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Fran etc etc

We were on a J1 2 years back to Ocean City MD on the east coast and loved it.

Also we went with USIT last time and were wondering are there cheaper travel agents etc

Would love to hear your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

I was wondering if someone could help me please. I am hoping to go to the USA on a J1 in the summer. I have rang up a few companies that have J1 programs. Of the companys I have tried, none of them allow you to organise your own flights and the flights have to be organised by them. I have an airline voucher for American Airlines which I was hoping to use to pay for the flights, and was wondering if there was any company that would use this voucher??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I read somewhere that if you've already done a J1 you don't need to go to a second embassy interview. Is this true/ still the case?

This is completely up to the Embassy to decide. I went on 2 consecutive summer J1 visas and wasn't required to go to the second interview. I did have to go to the following 1 year J1 visa I took. I guess it depends on your history with visas. If you haven't been an issue for them, they will possibly be more likely to not require a second interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I read somewhere that if you've already done a J1 you don't need to go to a second embassy interview. Is this true/ still the case?

You don't have to go to a second interview... unless you're a final year student, in which case, you (might) need to provide proof that you're coming back. A letter from your college stating you're eligible to do a masters pending results is fine, even if you've no intention of doing one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

blue-army wrote: »
    You don't have to go to a second interview... unless you're a final year student, in which case, you (might) need to provide proof that you're coming back. A letter from your college stating you're eligible to do a masters pending results is fine, even if you've no intention of doing one. ;)

Perfect am in last year, will get one of those pronto thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beccadaisy

Hey there, been reading some of the comments on the thread and everyone's been very helpful. I'd like to get some advice from people who are used to the whole system.

I'll be starting a 3 year Level 7 visual merchandising & display course in DIT in the coming September. I know it's still extremely early, but I'm hoping to get as much info on the whole J1 process as possible so that I can head to New York on one next summer. I've heard that the best jobs to go for over there are waitressing/bartending jobs, because you earn a lot extra in tips. I only have experience in retail, and am currently looking for work in a bar/cafe/restaurant here in Ireland. I'd just like to know, is it absolutely vital that I already have experience in this area before I start the J1 process next summer? Has anyone gone over to New York and been trained in waitressing?
    As I said, I'm hoping to get a little bit of experience in this area at the moment, but it's unlikely that I'll have even 1 year of experience by the time I am applying for my J1.
    Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hi im in a bit of a tizzy so hope someone can help/reassure me!

I have a job offer and went to the embassy last month. All is in order and I have a J1. The job is for 3 years. I informed the job once all was in order and I got my passport, as i wanted to sort a start date and book flights, as advised. The boss mentioned starting in October... Now hr have been in touch about me needing to travel within 30 days of visa issue date! That's next week!

Is this a thing? I can't see it written anywhere, either online or on Ds 2019.. I got a summer j1 in 2005 and didn't travel until 2 months after visa issue date (obv a long time has passed and things may have changed).

I priced flights there and I could go next week to fulfil the 30 day criteria. But for lots of personal reasons I'd like to head back here if possible then return to US before starting work. There may also be problems re: me being there but not working. I'm waiting on hr to get back to me and will call the embassy tomorrow too.

My main query is: do I need to be there within 30 days? If so is there a way to amend visa issue date? If I do need to travel next week can I leave again a few days later?

Thanks for any help in advance! Hope I made sense too... Feel a bit of a plonker.

Your J1 visa is for 1 year? And you're waiting around for two months before going? Honestly, there are a lot of people who are desperately trying to get into the country for even a shorter period to work. You should go asap and take advantage of the full 12 months you have there. If it is the 1 year visa, there are different rules to the summer J1 so it sounds legitimate that you would be required to go/start work within the first 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

If you read my post i said the job is three years, Im not a young recent graduate, its not a 12 month visa and I have many personal reasons for not being able to drop everything and go. As stated I'm still waiting for confirmation of start date so have no intention of going earlier than I have to and be out of pocket while not earning.

• Advertisement

There's no three year J1 visa, I believe the longest is the 18 month training J1. How do you plan on staying once the J1 runs out?

AFAIK, there is a requirement to have a job within the first 30 days of the visa. If you're not even in the country yet, and you have confirmation of a job, it shouldn't be an issue. I think as long as the DS-7002 is completed within the first 30 days you should be OK. However, I would double check with your J1 sponsoring company.

Advertisement