Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU Commission vs Airsoft

• 21-11-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Been all over various forums and facebook an EU commission white paper calls for the restriction on firearms and magazines and so on ,then they want restricted sale and ownership of airsoft including an outright ban ,
    Been its only a white paper I wouldn't be actually worried ,just something to think about

See below for details

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/articles/law/2013/EU-proposed-gun-ban/?p=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Biometric security and centralised storage:pac:

Wouldn't worry about it too much, each state is free to impose their own laws on firearms so it won't come down from on high in Brussels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Arisoft is already heavily restricted here compared to the rest of europe, no? (i.e RIF legality and energy restrictions)

I'd be more worried if they were trying to figure out a way to tax Airsoft tbh, that would be dropped on us like guano in a bat cave. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Steve wrote: »

I'd be more worried if they were trying to figure out a way to tax Airsoft tbh, that would be dropped on us like guano in a bat cave. :mad:

SSHHHHHHH!!!!!!

If anyone in government heard that it'd give them ideas.

Edit: Correction, they would start a group up to find the best and most complicated way to tax us

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

BB levy. It'd be a 1c BB levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Bucklesman wrote: »

They may call it a hobby tax to catch everyone!!
    The group would decide "how have they enough money to spend on this Airsoft hobby?" and we can then bare arms and raise fists like father jack!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Bucklesman wrote: »

I know far too many people who would be screwed if that happened

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    They may call it a hobby tax to catch everyone!!
    The group would decide "how have they enough money to spend on this Airsoft hobby?" and we can then bare arms and raise fists like father jack!!

It's a bit cold for bare arms at the moment ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Lemming wrote: »
    It's a bit cold for bare arms at the moment ... :pac:

Sure we're all irish, aren't we? This is just like a cold summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

EU 'Airsoft Ban'

Recently I've seen a campaign spreading across facebook which claims we should fight back against a proposed EU 'airsoft ban', which is purportedly spelled out in the recent white paper on firearms control (a paper which the European Airsoft Association contributed comments towards as it was being drafted).

This campaign seems to have originated with the website 'all4shooters'. The claims on this website (in relation to airsoft) [bear] no relationship to the conclusions of the white paper. The EC has expressed indifference to airsoft in the past and we've seen no evidence that airsoft is in their sights now, but if airsofters start writing heated, unfounded letters to the EC (as suggested in the article) you will undoubtedly give them a negative impression of airsoft and draw their attention.

So please, digest the evidence yourself, keep calm and play on!

Matt Furey-King, President EAA

OzCam adds...

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_freedom,_security_and_justice

However, since Firearms Licensing is an area that national governments have always treated as a core national competence as part of their security and justice systems, there is no realistic prospect of any national government ceding any meaningful power in that area to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Ye seen the same thing on facebook and found this.
    https://www.facebook.com/UKAPU/posts/478402172272758

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This is the Commission's report if anyone is interested along with a breakdown of how people answered the questions. I responded to it at the time and it seems nearly everyone answered how I did; by dialling down the middle with 'Not at all':pac:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-is-new/news/news/docs/20131021_summary_remarks_consultation_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

A very interesting read.

The next job is to get the EU to try to chivvy national governments along on the reasonable things that support exists for, and to forget about the wilder ideas like DNA locks. The advantage of that is that it allows the politicians to say "Something must be done, and this is what we're doing, and it's doable, and there's widespread support for it".

The mention of Ireland was illuminating. Asking the EU to sort out our firearms laws on the basis of harmonisaton sounds like a great idea... but only after we see what those new harmonised standards might be.

Time for gun-owners to get involved with detailed, calm, reasoned, supported-by-data, technical inputs to the process. Otherwise you leave the process open to hijacking by the gun-haters.

If you don't set the agenda, it will be set for you.

Advertisement