Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese whiskey

• 19-11-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Hi

Was thinking of picking up a bottle of Japanese whiskey for my dad for Christmas.

His regular drinking whiskey would be Jameson but i have in the past gotten him Jameson 12 year old, Green Spot, Yellow Spot and Middleton rare (the one in the wooden box) all of which were very well received. He also had one of the Connemara ones, not the mad peaty one, just the regular one which he enjoyed too.

With that in mind are there any Japanese whiskeys you would recommend? Or are Japanese whiskeys to be avoided for a man of such tastes?

Budget would be anything up to €100

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If you're going Japanese then it has to be this guy imo,top notch whiskey.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Yamazaki_12_Year_Old_Single_Malt-z-product-product-56-context-distillery-page-1.htm

There's an 18 year old also that's excellent,should be around the €100 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

OT I know, but can I be your dad, and you can start at the beginning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Thanks for the recommendataions and the offer!

Am based in Dublin so will pop into the celtic whiskey shop on my way home from work this evening and have a look for that Yamazaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Second the recommendation for Yamazaki, beautiful whiskey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yamazaki great value for money.

I really like Nikka "From the barrel" too. Only 500ml bottle but it's 51.4&abv and packs a massive punch flavour wise.
    Great value for €32 or whatever celtic whiskey shop have it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Japanese whisky is of a very good standard across the board, but it can be a bit expensive over here.

Yamazaki 18 is very nice. As is the Nikka, Taketsuru, Yochi, Hakushu... Personally, for something a little different, I'd go for a Hibiki. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brockagh wrote: »
    Japanese whisky is of a very good standard across the board, but it can be a bit expensive over here.

Yamazaki 18 is very nice. As is the Nikka, Taketsuru, Yochi, Hakushu... Personally, for something a little different, I'd go for a Hibiki. It's lovely.

I'll echo this. Go for the Hibiki. I think it's very nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was lucky enough to be gifted a bottle of Hibiki 17 by a chap from Suntory who I did some work with. Very nice I must say. Quite sweet to my taste, and seems stronger than its 43% would suggest. Very attractive bottle too.

• I'd also recommend the hibiki 17, fantastic stuff. The yamazaki 12 is also really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'd also recommend the hibiki 17, fantastic stuff. The yamazaki 12 is also really good.

where can you get that Hibiki?? is it available in Ireland?

• Advertisement

• Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    where can you get that Hibiki?? is it available in Ireland?

I bought a bottle from Celtic whiskey a few years ago. I don't think they stock it anymore. I haven't seen it anywhere else since.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I was wondering if people could advise on best place to purchase a bottle Yamazaki as I was thinking of getting a gift if a japanese whiskey for a friend this christmas and this seems to be one of the better ones? If there is another I would like to hear about it also as i was hoping to spend only €50. The Yamazaki is €64 in donnybrook fair and similar in irish whiskey shop. I'm based in Dublin. I've looked online on Amazon also and prices appear similar. Does anyone know of any offers at present?
    Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Was lucky enough to get a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain as a gift. Can't recommend it enough. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Resurrecting this thread to look for a bit of advice. Looking to buy a bottle of Japanese whiskey for someone as a present, but it's not something I really know anything about. Celtic Whiskey Shop have a few in stock, and all are within budget:

Miyagikyo No Age Single Malt

Nikka From The Barrel

Nikka Super Old Rare

Taketsuru Pure Malt

Bradley's in Cork are also an option and they have a few different ones:

Mars Maltage Cosmo

Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky

Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd go with the Nikka from the Barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Effects wrote: »
    I'd go with the Nikka from the Barrel.

Me too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks guys, looks like he'll be getting a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel. Lucky b*st*rd. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I’m not an expert by any means, but I really enjoy the Nikka Coffey Grain.

Advertisement