Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlords have put up rent!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So the OP wants to discuss a contract and what it means without actually letting those he is asking what the contract says and expects to be able to get good advice.
    And then you say it is inappropriate to ask to see what is in it. Well thats clever.
    Welcome to boards.ie. If you have a problem with a moderator instruction, please take the discussion to private message. Do not disrupt the thread.

You asking for the lease means asking the original poster for their personal details and/or for them to identify themselves to their landlord. As you say " Well thats clever.".

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GoldieLocks99

Seems a bit stupid to me to be asked to comment on someones lease without seeing the lease. Its easy to black out identifying info too for the OP if they want.

And then to ask to see the lease so that you can help the op and get told by a "moderator" that "It is inappropriate to make such requests or comments." is just stupid.

The whole thread is meaningless without the lease. But carry on like that if you want. Im out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems a bit stupid to me to be asked to comment on someones lease without seeing the lease. Its easy to black out identifying info too for the OP if they want.

And then to ask to see the lease so that you can help the op and get told by a "moderator" that "It is inappropriate to make such requests or comments." is just stupid.

The whole thread is meaningless without the lease. But carry on like that if you want. Im out.

Fair enough.
    You have received just warning.
    1 week ban for ignoring the forum charter and arguing with a moderator on thread.
    If you choose to post here again on the elapse of your ban- please read, and comply with the forum charter.
    Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

This is not a legal advice forum; we only give advice and opinions based on the information given, and (I presume) with the full understanding of the OP that without all the information available its only that, an opinion.

For what its worth, the question you asked regarding the rental amount being written into the lease was answered by the OP in the third post of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭pietromas

Hey @Tard

Don't rely on Daft for prices. Daft lists the prices that landlords want, not what tenants are willing to pay. You have no idea what deals are made when the prospective tenant meets the landlord and talks. It might be reasonable to use Daft to identify the trend for the area.

For actual data you need the PRTB Rent Index. Make sure you check the right property type, as well as the right area. Use it to judge the trend and apply it to your current rent.

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/pssn/prtb/homepagefiles/rent_index_statbank.asp

Safety warning: Bear in mind that this data lags a bit. The Q3 data won't be out until next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IN some areas theres a shortgage of propertys,
    rental units ,
    so rents go up.
    under rules bedsits are gone,
    landlords have to provide a bathroom for each unit,
    therefore landlords have to put up rent to cover the cost.

the cheap basic flat in dublin may be extinct.
    eg i lived in a house 20 flats ,victorian old house.
    one large bathroom ,on each floor.
    That would be illegal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

riclad wrote: »
    IN some areas theres a shortgage of propertys,
    rental units ,
    so rents go up.
    under rules bedsits are gone,
    landlords have to provide a bathroom for each unit,
    therefore landlords have to put up rent to cover the cost.

the cheap basic flat in dublin may be extinct.
    eg i lived in a house 20 flats ,victorian old house.
    one large bathroom ,on each floor.
    That would be illegal now.
    Like most things in Ireland, between legislation and the idea that evryone wants the best, prices have gone skywards. Thank God for the likes of Aldi and Lidel. Now, if a few hotels, B&Bs, and rental accommodation could follow suit ...... perhaps the country could get back on it's feet instead of lying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

THERES alot of people who were happy to live in a basic bedsit ,flat ,
    but the government made them illegal,
    probably under pressure from threshold ,charitys etc
    AND those people cant afford the best ,
    ie joe bloggs on rent allowance , on disability.

alot of people shop in aldi, etc its not necessarily the best for every product ,but its cheap.
    its like if the government said if you won,t to buy a scooter it must be at least 300 cc.

There was nothing wrong with those flats,
    there was a large bathroom on each floor , and the rent was cheap.like 70 euro per week.

I suspect that there was something wrong with a lot of those flats, hence the reason they were outlawed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Minimum standards have gone up.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Minimum standards have gone up.
    Exactly -and those minimum standards have also caused, in part, the higher rents.

An unfurnished property must include all that "equipment" (oven and grill, hob, microwave, fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer, washing machine and dryer if no outside area to dry clothes; bath or shower.

And that for an unfurnished property.

It's obvious that prices have to increase over what was a bedsit.

In my younger days, I lived in several bedsits that had all the necessities that I required: a bed, table and chairs, 2 ring hob, a fridge with icebox while there toilets were and separate bathroom facilities on each floor. Some landlord organised a cleaned to come in and clean the communal areas (hallway, stairs, bathrooms and toilets. One or two of the bedsits had a communal house kitchen with the cooking facilities instead of cooking in your room.

I would be happy to live in this type of placeagain, if the price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

odds_on wrote: »
    An unfurnished property must include all that "equipment" (oven and grill, hob, microwave, fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer, washing machine and dryer if no outside area to dry clothes; bath or shower.

Really? Our Landlord didn't provide one and when I queried him on it he said he couldn't afford it because of the property tax.

Daith wrote: »
    Really? Our Landlord didn't provide one and when I queried him on it he said he couldn't afford it because of the property tax.

Do you have a means of drying clothes outside? If not, then by law they must provide a dryer (it can be a washer dryer combo). If the landlord cant afford this then tell them to give you back your deposit and let you move into a property where the landlord can provide you with the appliances that you are entitled to.

djimi wrote: »
    Do you have a means of drying clothes outside? If not, then by law they must provide a dryer (it can be a washer dryer combo). If the landlord cant afford this then tell them to give you back your deposit and let you move into a property where the landlord can provide you with the appliances that you are entitled to.

Well we have a small balcony does that count? I wouldn't be too keen on leaving clothes outside on it though. We wouldn't even use a dryer but its handy for linen and towels.

Well we have a small balcony does that count? I wouldn't be too keen on leaving clothes outside on it though. We wouldn't even use a dryer but its handy for linen and towels.
    Probably not - most apartment complexes have a clause in the lease with the owner that clothes must not be hung out on balconies, and that clause is (if it exists) almost certainly in your lease with the landlord.

Therefore, you should be supplied with either a washing machine and a dryer or a washer/dryer combo.

Unless there is a communal washing and drying facility within the complex/building

odds_on wrote: »
    Probably not - most apartment complexes have a clause in the lease with the owner that clothes must not be hung out on balconies, and that clause is (if it exists) almost certainly in your lease with the landlord.

Therefore, you should be supplied with either a washing machine and a dryer or a washer/dryer combo.

Unless there is a communal washing and drying facility within the complex/building

Cool, thanks for the help! Sorry for going OT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No, Unless it is designed to be an area where clothes can be hung out to dry.

Advertisement