Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Map update

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

eirlink wrote: »
    few questions re open street maps..can you overlay the osm map on top of the navteq map? ( similar to how navteq is on top of base map)

I know I definitely got some maps to overlay. It depends on the map properties, however I do not use that feature regularly as you end up with two of every road. I enable/disable the Garmin/Openstreetmap by ticking/unticking a box, which swaps them over.

The maps here claim to be overlayable:
    http://www.talkytoaster.co.uk/ukmaps.htm
    but I could not get them to route on a modern Garmin Nivii nor an older Nuvii. Due to the no routing I cannot recommend them for use in a vehicle. I am in contact with the guy to help fix the issue.
    . are these osm maps searchable. as i remember having them on a sd card some time ago and i dont think they were. Could be wrong though

The main UK site maps say they are routable but they don't seem to work. I have used maps from:
    http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php#
    Direct link:
    http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/download_en.php?file=gmapsupp_British-Isles.zip
    and alternative is here:
    http://www.navmaps.eu/

I found that alternativaslibres.es has the best method of displaying street names then road number in brackets. The second one navmaps.eu tends to show road numbers and not road names.
    one other feature missing from osm is the townland is not shown / searchable.
    this is the main reason i use navteq mapping. as im driving i can see the townlands names in the top info bar. ( when unit not in nav mode )
    if i need to find a rural address at least i know im in the townland.

There is loads of townlands on
    http://openstreetmap.org
    There seems to possibly be too many with townlands listed locals have never heard of. Post Office townlands seem to use less townlands than used in those maps. The postoffice tends, in towns, to use the townsland of the nearest post office region, not every single name listed.

When searching addresses, it shows the townsland after the street name. In, not in Nav mode, no it does not show a townsland on the top bar. However everywhere I am driving has a road name. I would need to test in rural area with no road name to see what appears in the top bar.
    gamechanger coming with post codes anyway, so Teleatlas / navteq will have little differences

Yes, but it will be 2015, and may require payment/upgrade. There is a seperate thread on this, but very little details have come out.

I would recommend anyone with a Garmin with a SD/micro SD slot to give it a try. The main downside is speed limits do not work for some reason, even though the main roads have speed limits listed on the website version of openstreetmap.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Map update 2014.30 is now available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Map update 2014.30 is now available

Got it. It made a street disappear that was there before. Strange.

Have you updated to the latest "safety" cameras? Was there an update in the past few months? Does it change anything for ROI or are the average cameras wrong in certain locations like Bray as they changed zones last Jan/Feb and were wrong earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was over in Blanchardstown Corporate Park earlier using a Garmin Nuvi which was only updated two weeks ago with the latest maps.

The whole section from the Texaco garage through to the M2 St Margarets junction going past the ESB station wasn't on the map. All it showed was part of Bay Lane which isn't there anymore.

I've also noticed that the M1-M50 intersection is wrong if you are heading south on the M1 and onto the M50. The updated Garmin didn't seem to know I was on the ramp.

I'm not very impressed so far as I thought all these new roads would be on the updated map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Garmin are very slow when it comes to updates and corrections.

Report the error to Garmin. You'll find the reporting link somewhere in this thread, or someone may be kind enough to repost it here.

Then check to see if it has been corrected in about a year!

nc6000 wrote: »
    I was over in Blanchardstown Corporate Park earlier using a Garmin Nuvi which was only updated two weeks ago with the latest maps.
    I'm not very impressed so far as I thought all these new roads would be on the updated map.

And again the free openstreet map update has the Corporate park:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.4118/-6.3697

and a much better way of fixing mistakes.

I have even noticed Ordinance Survey Ireland not having the correct name on some streets, that have been there for decades, not even matching the name on road-side signs that have been there for decades. Normally OSI would have the most up to date info.

I'm downloading the NE Europe free openstreet maps at the moment.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I have recently put openstreetmaps on a Nuvi 40 (The 4" version of the Nuvi 50) and a Nuvi 200. My favourite locations did not change. I found the mapping more accurate and more street names and more new roads than Garmin's latest Paid update. The main limitation is the lack of speed limits.

The procedure to follow is:

1) Update your Garmin Firmware using Garmin's Webupdater (you may not need to do this but if an update is available it may fix issues before they arise and may give a faster GPS fix etc)
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

2) Buy an 8Gb Micro SD card with a normal size SD adaper. (I can recommend one for 8 Euro from an Irish seller if you PM me) -An SD card may not be essential but it gives your device more memory and an easy way to transfer maps over. Depending on the space left on your Sat Nav an SD card might not be needed.

3) Download the NW Europe file from here:
    http://www.navmaps.eu/ It is a large download so use a good internet connection
    (I had isssues with the talkytoaster UK and ROI maps on a Nuvi)

4) Unzip the file using something like 7zip. This gives a file ending in .img

5) Create a folder on your SD card called "garmin" and put the file into it
    E.g. e:\garmin\gmapsupp.img (folder MUST be called garmin). This is easy if your laptop has an SD card reader. Some SAT nav's, including the Nuvi 50, can be used via a USB lead to transfer to a card in the Sat Nav. On these it appears as a seperate drive letter, one for the sat nav another for the memory card.

6) Put your SD card into your Sat NAV's slot (note some sat navs have a large slot, some a micro SD, and some no slot)

7) Power on your Sat Nav and go into settings-maps-info. Untick the normal garmin map (or you will end up with two maps overlaid on each other), and tick the NW Europe map. At any time in the future you can swap over and back by unticking the boxes.

8) Enjoy and add to the community by fixing errors on http://openstreetmap.org

Let us know how you get on

This isn't working for me on my Nuvi 350w.

I've the file downloaded and extracted to a garmin folder on an 8GB SDHC card but when I go to Settings - Maps - Info it only shows me the default Garmin map.

Edit - Maybe I need an ordinary SD card not a SDHC card.

The whole section from the Texaco garage through to the M2 St Margarets junction going past the ESB station wasn't on the map. All it showed was part of Bay Lane which isn't there anymore.

I've also noticed that the M1-M50 intersection is wrong if you are heading south on the M1 and onto the M50. The updated Garmin didn't seem to know I was on the ramp.

Maybe it has not been reported to them.

It took 3 months for them to add a few spots I sent in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've looked at that junction on 2014.20 and it is correct in as much as it corresponds to what is on Open Streetmap.

Occasionally you'll get jumps from one sliproad to another or it not recognising you've left a motorway on a slip especially if reception and therefore accuracy isn't great as it automatically 'snaps' to the closest road.

Alun wrote: »
    I've looked at that junction on 2014.20

My Garmin map for M1 to M50 southbound is also 100% correct. I regularly take that junction. It could be the map update did not apply correctly.

Sometimes my Garmin gets mixed up . Has me 200m from where I am. Craps itself altogether. Maybe yours is doing the same...

I tell ya what.

I really fancy the Garmin Nuvi 3598LMT-D

brokenarms wrote: »
    Sometimes my Garmin gets mixed up . Has me 200m from where I am. Craps itself altogether. Maybe yours is doing the same...
    Thin metallic layers in some kinds of tinted windscreens can affect GPS reception quite badly. French cars seem to be particularly affected by this.

Thin metallic layers in some kinds of tinted windscreens can affect GPS reception quite badly. French cars seem to be particularly affected by this.

If you have an electrically heated front windscreen, with an on/off button, this is a layer of transparent metal that blocks GPS signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How do people get around that?

If you have an electrically heated front windscreen, with an on/off button, this is a layer of transparent metal that blocks GPS signals.
    IME electrically heated windscreens (at least the Ford ones) have a whole load of very, very thin wires embedded in them. The metallic layer is more for keeping the interior cool and tinting them.

beauf wrote: »
    How do people get around that?
    A re-radiating antenna. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85173690

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

brokenarms wrote: »
    I really fancy the Garmin Nuvi 3598LMT-D

Me too. Does the live traffic work here though?

Some Sat Navs have an external GPS head input. I had an old Tom Tom and used a magnetically mounted external GPS head to increase accuracy. This was more important in the old days when the GPS receivers were quite deaf and needed a strong signal.

Also in car sat Navs supplied by the manufacturer nearly alway use a roof mounted GPS head, normally mounted as a combined music radio/mobile phone and GPS antenna.

• Advertisement

My old nuvi 760 has a mini SMA connector for an external antenna. Those connectors are a bit fiddly to keep connecting and disconnecting though. Re-radiating antennae are a much easier alternative even if your GPS has such a connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I know I definitely got some maps to overlay. It depends on the map properties, however I do not use that feature regularly as you end up with two of every road. I enable/disable the Garmin/Openstreetmap by ticking/unticking a box, which swaps them over.

I've tried putting the openstreetmaps on my Garmin Zumo 660 and when I go into setting and map info the device dosen't let me untick the main UK & Ireland Garmin map. I can tick/untick the Garmin 3d map and the openstreet map but not the main one. Even with the openstreet map ticked I still don't see any additional details on the map screen. I tried the same thing with a mate's Zumo 550 and it worked alright but couldn't get it to work on my 660 even after updating the firmware to 4.9 and the maps to 2014.30.

Anyone got any ideas?

Someone reported some Garmin's cannot use an SD card above 2GB. Try a smaller SD card? Look for known issues with the Zumo 660? Backup and then try a full factory reset of everything including maps? Is the map you are using too large?, try a smaller region.

Someone reported some Garmin's cannot use an SD card above 2GB. Try a smaller SD card? Look for known issues with the Zumo 660? Backup and then try a full factory reset of everything including maps? Is the map you are using too large?, try a smaller region.

I think that was me. I found out that my Garmin Nuvi couldn't handle files bigger than 2GB.

OK I tried a full reset and I have put a different openstreetmap on the zumo 660. It's a file of approx. 500 MB of Uk & Ireland only. It is showing up ontop of the garmin 2014.30 map of UK & Ireland because I can see the additional detail but the settings in map info don't allow me to untick the garmin map, and never have. That really is the issue im having.

The device is reading everything on the 8G micro sd card so I don't think that's a problem. Maybe it couldn't read the 3GB file of western europe but it's reading the current uk & Ireland one, but as I say the device won't let me untick the main garmin map.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    Maybe it couldn't read the 3GB file of western europe but it's reading the current uk & Ireland one, but as I say the device won't let me untick the main garmin map.

Cheers

What Garmin\*.img files are on your device?

From looking at the following:
    http://garminzumo-660.wikispaces.com/FAQ#x-Description%20of%20files%20and%20folders:

I've noticed the following "Garmin\gmapoem.img 3rd-party maps loaded with this file name can't be de-selected."

No IrlJidel it's the pre-loaded map gmapprom.img city navigator 2014.30 and I have the openstreetmaps uk & Ireland as gmapsupp.img. I also tried renaming it gmapprom1.img and it made no difference. I still cannot de-select the main map.

Thanks for the help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

2014.40 Released

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

jspuds wrote: »
    2014.40 Released

have it, but the roundabout is still there at the galway shopping centre. Dosent show the new traffic light layout.

does anyone know of any changes to .40? or is it all UK /?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Think the last set of round about changes to Galway took almost 6 months to appear

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement