Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Back VAT

• 15-02-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

There's a section on the Revenue website detailing unregistered farmers claiming back VAT on drainage, fencing and buildings. It's here http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/refunds/repayments-unregistered-persons.html

There's a four year window to claim.

We're about to get our herd number, and get in some sheep and goats.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if this can be claimed by the smallholder/ non commercial farmer?

We're about to electric fence the property, and are looking at drainage, building repair, and putting in animal sheds, and the VAT back would be a great saving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I would presume yes but you would have to do accounts I would presume. You can claim vat back on all expenditure on fixed assets as well as drainage, reclaimation, fenceing, water troughs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

I would presume yes but you would have to do accounts I would presume. You can claim vat back on all expenditure on fixed assets as well as drainage, reclaimation, fenceing, water troughs etc

No need to have accounts done up to claim this back, just have your receipts marked paid with the VAT amounts stated on them for the work/goods purchased and fill up form VAT 58 which can be found at the following link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/forms/index.html The form sets out exactly what you must include etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

KCTK wrote: »
    No need to have accounts done up to claim this back, just have your receipts marked paid with the VAT amounts stated on them for the work/goods purchased and fill up form VAT 58 which can be found at the following link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/forms/index.html The form sets out exactly what you must include etc.

You don't have to have accounts done up per say. But you do have to be registered with revenue as a farmer. For example, if you were a non commercial or hobby farmer, getting no grants, living off the food that you produce, and making no income from farming then you cannot calim the vat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bump.

Can VAT be reclaimed back on cement (by the bag) and on water fittings, e.g. ball cocks, t-fittings, connectors etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

a co-ops docket has this breakdown of VAT to claim on the cement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Blue Holland

MfMan wrote: »
    Bump.

Can VAT be reclaimed back on cement (by the bag) and on water fittings, e.g. ball cocks, t-fittings, connectors etc.?

Done a vat reclaim last november, put in all water connections, said on form they were part of a job installing drinkers on say 20 acres but invoices were spread over 2 years, you will need original invoices, some i had misplaced got co-op to reprint them. All was repaid no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Can a business phone claim back VAT in regards to a farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Can a business phone claim back VAT in regards to a farm?

If the farmer is vat registered - yes

If not and claiming under the unreg scheme - no

reilig wrote: »
    If the farmer is vat registered - yes

If not and claiming under the unreg scheme - no

What are the negatives of a farmer been VAT registered? Im certain my father is not? Why would his accountant be advising him not to be?

What are the negatives of a farmer been VAT registered? Im certain my father is not? Why would his accountant be advising him not to be?

First of all it cost extra on accountancy charges. Next farmers can claim back vat in an unregistered form for fixed equipment such as buildind, bins, water fitting, fencing etc.

You also get an unregistered vat rebate on milk and cattle sales. You would have to refund this to revenue in the case where you vat register this is going to rise to 5.2%.

Lasty a lot of input are o vat registered suvh as rations and fertlizers.

• Advertisement

5% flat rate add on to all sales would be lost if vat registered would be main reason, would want to be suffering alot of vat on purchases before it would make sense

5% flat rate add on to all sales would be lost if vat registered would be main reason, would want to be suffering alot of vat on purchases before it would make sense

FP's answer way more detailed, and got there a minute before me!!!

Ok pretty easy to sum up that the €7 a month I would save wont really make sense. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

A little off topic here but I am registered for income tax for farming and am just wondering if I were to start processing firewood and selling it can I put it thru farm accounts?

massey265 wrote: »
    A little off topic here but I am registered for income tax for farming and am just wondering if I were to start processing firewood and selling it can I put it thru farm accounts?

I can see no reason why you could not it is a farm related activity. In reality a farm accounts are really sole trader accounts you could put any activity through it. Just to beware of Vat and at what stage you might have to register. Revenue have lowered the thresholds for VAT registeration

I can see no reason why you could not it is a farm related activity. In reality a farm accounts are really sole trader accounts you could put any activity through it. Just to beware of Vat and at what stage you might have to register. Revenue have lowered the thresholds for VAT registeration

Also don't forget that if it's wood from your own forest and you start processing it for firewood it is no longer exempt from income tax as it would have been if you had sold it on to a processor

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Thanks for them ans, I would be buying timber in so I would not be fit to claim the vatat back on it. Also I would be buying a wood processer, could I put it down as a farm expense?

massey265 wrote: »
    Thanks for them ans, I would be buying timber in so I would not be fit to claim the vatat back on it. Also I would be buying a wood processer, could I put it down as a farm expense?

If you intend on running as a business you would be putting it in as a business expense as opposed to a farm expense.

When I was talking about VAT I was pointing out to you that if your turnover exceeds a certain amount you have to register for vat and put it onto sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Can you claim back the vat on fencing even if you have already lets say the fencing cost down as an expense on the farm accounts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

You claim the vat back first supplying the original receipts they are then sent back to you ,stamped vat claimed you can then claim the remainder as capital allowance

• Advertisement

gerryirl wrote: »
    Can you claim back the vat off fencing even if you have already lets say the fencing cost down as an expense on the farm accounts ?

When you say you have it in as an expense is this in a set of accounts that have been finalised and a tax return made upon for a prior year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Quick one lads and lassies

Got a couple of invoices just gone outside 4 years (some reason I taught it was 5) anyway states on the form

Claims for repayment of VAT must be made within 4 years from the end of the taxable period to which the claim relates

Has this got to do when I return my tax accounts or what. If so it means I can go back 4 years and 10 months? (return tax 15nov each year) or has it got a completely different meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Blue Holland

Pretty sure it's calender year, so 2010 is as far back as you can go. If claim relates to june 09 it has to be made within 4 years of 31-12-09. Learned this the hard way few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 farmerboy

01/01/2010 onwards,

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Ok folks. Heres on for you. Both myself nd OH on disability, just moved to a 3 acre smallholding. Want to start doing farmers markets ( health permitting), maybe petting farm, maybe smallholding courses. Is there a minimum acreage for vat back on fencing, troughs, sheds, lighting fitted? What about fuel back as also have lend of another 1 nd half acres a few miles away.......

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Did i hear you can claim back VAT on lime for land reclamation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Did i hear you can claim back VAT on lime for land reclamation?

You don't get charged vat on ground lime so nothing to claim

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

fepper wrote: »
    You don't get charged vat on ground lime so nothing to claim

There was 23% vat on receipt but when i looked again it was for delivery of the lime not the actual lime itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

RobinBanks wrote: »
    There was 23% vat on receipt but when i looked again it was for delivery of the lime not the actual lime itself.

If it was a full lorry load,the cost of delivery is usually incorporated into the lime cost which includes spreading the lime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

claiming back vat
    i bought fencing posts .. drip drab purchases and each reciept is small but it adds up over the last 4 years. can i claim fencing posts? and does each reciept need to be €125 or more?

Advertisement