Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

• 07-11-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Today is N7 Day so Bioware are currently teasing the next Mass Effect game on Twitter.

For me Mass Effect might be the best new IP of this current generation. Its either that or Assassins Creed. So I'm really looking forward to a new game in the series.

Off-screen image

BYf0ZXrIcAALzgd.jpg:large

One thing to note in the image linked above is the developer is using a 360 controller. I hope this is not a cross-gen game.

Another Tweet

BYf7DmPCQAAfbK5.jpg:large

There are other tweets on Michael Gamble's Twitter account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Could be a 360 controller connected to a PC. But seeing as EA still have their fingers in the cookie jar ME4 could well be on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

If they are teasing this now it is a good bet we will get a full reveal trailer at the VGAs in December.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's no socket for the play and charge kit, so it's a PC controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Next gen mass effect could be all types of awesome. The rpg of the 1st, the action of the 2nd, epicness of the 3rd! Don't mind a new story with new characters but would love to see Tali make a return.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why would they not make a massive IP like Mass Effect cross gen?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why would they not make a massive IP like Mass Effect cross gen?

I'm just hoping as a fan that it is next-gen only. But from a business perspective it makes total sense to do a cross-gen release.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm just hoping as a fan that it is next-gen only. But from a business perspective it makes total sense to do a cross-gen release.

Oh wait, I actually completely misunderstood and thought you meant that you wanted it PC only or something. cross platform not cross-gen, d'oh :o

Id say there would be a problem moving saves between gens as at the moment if you upgrade your current gen game of assassins creed to next gen version, the old save wont carry over.

Hope it stays next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I wonder if anyone here is going to take a stance I've seen elsewhere. I've seen people posting they'd refuse to buy another Mass Effect game if it doesn't feature Shepard.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone here is going to take a stance I've seen elsewhere. I've seen people posting they'd refuse to buy another Mass Effect game if it doesn't feature Shepard.

Really? I find that absurd. Shepard was a great character but his/her story is over. It's time for something new. The universe that they created is the real star of the Mass Effect games. A new game with new characters and story would give us the opportunity to further explore the universe. It would be a real shame to retread old ground.

• Advertisement

I'll play it regardless but would prefer if Shephard isn't in it tbh. Would like to see a new story set in the same universe maybe some time after the events of the trilogy.

Set after the trilogy would be ideal. New characters but maybe the odd reference to 'the great war'. Can't believe fanboys throwing hissy fits if shep isn't in it. He had an epic story, leave it at that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

With how ME3 ended, I'd be surprised if we see anything other than a prequel.

Really? I find that absurd. Shepard was a great character but his/her story is over. It's time for something new.
    Totally agreed. They were saying how much they loved the characters. I tried reasoning with stuff like they'll create cool characters again, and Shepard is done. His/her story is done. My only preference about the game is that it is of a high quality. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kiith wrote: »
    With how ME3 ended, I'd be surprised if we see anything other than a prequel.

or do a reverse of The Old Republic and go far into the future to the next big cataclysm

• I'd love a prequel game, where we see the people that originally created the Reapers.

I'd love a prequel game, where we see the people that originally created the Reapers.

If they do a prequel it will be centered around that big battle Shephard was famous for I'd imagine.

• Awh man. I really think the Reaper one would be excellent, mainly because they could do it with a real sense of foreboding; they have no idea what is coming.

Awh man. I really think the Reaper one would be excellent, mainly because they could do it with a real sense of foreboding; they have no idea what is coming.

Yeah would be a great idea. If they go the prequel route though I just can't see them leaving Shephard out, really hope I'm wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They need to have AAA++++ game not just a next gen look at the pretty colors game for me to even look a trailer of anything they do now after DA2 and ME3, they made mugs of us with the ME series and more so with the DA one, yeah sure no one will notice those recycled dungeons at all , at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    They need to have AAA++++ game not just a next gen look at the pretty colors game for me to even look a trailer of anything they do now after DA2 and ME3, they made mugs of us with the ME series and more so with the DA one, yeah sure no one will notice those recycled dungeons at all , at all :rolleyes:

Still not got around to DA2 but I think ME3 gets a bit of an unfair rep. Yes the ending was an absolute steaming pile of pooh, but up until that final 5 minutes I thought it was a hell of a game. Some of the best parts of the entire trilogy happened in the third game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

My worry is franchise fatigue. I just wish they'd leave it a while as Bioware now aren't the Bioware of years past, as has been said their last few titles were missing just that little something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd still say it'll be set during the first contact war between the turians and humans. Proper early exploration, and lots of new races to meet.

No Reapers at all please, bar subtle hints in ruins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the wife knows a chap on the dev team. he knows my line of work though so hasn't given me much out of self preservation lol

i do know they've been working on it for a while now though, and it'll probably be out sooner than people think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Totally agreed. They were saying how much they loved the characters. I tried reasoning with stuff like they'll create cool characters again, and Shepard is done. His/her story is done. My only preference about the game is that it is of a high quality. That's it.

If you're dealing with the sort of obsessed, illogical fan who claims they'll boycott a game if they don't get exactly what they want (what a sensible way of looking at culture!) then reason is probably the incorrect approach, alas. You can also bet they'll be first in line, regardless.

The whole point of Shepard was they were something of a blank slate (and with the male, the voice acting didn't go particularly far beyond that), allowing users to drive their own growth and development. If any series has suited a hit restart button, it's this one.

I'm not confident Bioware is a particularly strong studio any more - I had issues with ME3 far and beyond the ending, mostly it's extraordinarily unimaginative core gameplay and level design (admittedly leftovers of the previous games very much taking their toll) - so don't have any major interest in a sequel personally. Will wait and see what they come up with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll buy it in a 5 EUR sale basically; ME3 was ok to boring (far to my on rails game play) and I played it through to complete it but was not rushing home to eek out another minute doing it (I played it a year or two after release).

If I had free choice I'd love a open universe approach ala Skyrim to go explore the different races and worlds and their problems. Don't need to have a "OMGWTFBBQ Universe is dying" storyline but keep it simple about revenge or finding out what happend to your family or similar (and need to do favours to earn the information as you're a unknown) with a ton of side missions (can even make them mutually exclusive so you have to side with one race over another limiting what weapons/quests you can do) and possibly even some space combat (I say that tentatively as it's a quite a leap to get some X-wing style combat in there).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If they do a prequel it will be centered around that big battle Shephard was famous for I'd imagine.

Bioware are really vague but they have said it wont have Shepard in it at all. I'd be hoping for something like the first contact war but i'd hazzard a guess it'll be set in the time that shepard was dead in ME2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I hope EA allow enough time for a finished game this time. It'd be nice if most of the choices actually mattered this time as well as opposed to using the same art assets and level design for both scenarios,
    ie the Rachni Queen, Legion, etc...
    I've no idea how a sequel to the Shepard trilogy could possibly work unless they properly address the Mass Effect 3 ending problem instead of papering over it. A prequel set in the first contact war with the Turians would probably be the best option in my opinion.
    Until I hear more, I think this'll be a sale purchase for me. I love the games but some of the Mass Effect 3 DLC was ridiculous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

They're idiots. This kind of fan annoys me. Extremely vocal and with a strange sense of entitlement: I want a Shepard game and if I don't get it I'll petition you and go "waaaaaah" at the top of my voice on every game site around."

Personally I don't want to see Shepard. I think this cycle has been done and dusted. It had a start, middle and end.

I would love to see a story set either in the first cycle or the Prothean cycle. The thing is, I just want another Mass Effect game on the next gen (All 3 platforms please: XB1, PS4, PC). One the DEVELOPERS want to create. They have not let us down yet and I trust their skills as creators. If Shepard is in it, fine, if not, fine. Please do NOT pander to the idiot but vocal minority.

As for a launch date? Nah. I can't see anything happening until about this time 2015. We'll get a 3 sec logo/menu tune teaser at E3 next year and that'll be it. No footage, no dialogue, nothing. Maybe a Prothean saying something or, if Shepard is involved, there may be a dialogue over a black screen along the lines of: "He lives?". That'll be it.

Then around this time next year we'll maybe see some footage/a trailer. Then in Jan/Feb it'll be pushed back to March 2016

• Advertisement

Still not got around to DA2 but I think ME3 gets a bit of an unfair rep. Yes the ending was an absolute steaming pile of pooh, but up until that final 5 minutes I thought it was a hell of a game. Some of the best parts of the entire trilogy happened in the third game imo.
    I think ME3 gets far worse than it deserves too... As for DA2, well it wasn't one of the worst games ever so in that sense it's going overboard, but I really wasn't happy with the game.

The combat wasn't as good, the story wasn't as good, excess reuse of the same room types and it wasn't a proper story in the sense of an ending. It was basically a "wait for part 3" thing which I didn't like at all. It didn't wrap up well at all.

Awakening was great, and while not all DLC was of a high quality, Awakening was fantastic. I'd have been a lot happier with DA 2 if the end product had been that and paid the price I paid for DA 2 for Awakening, whereas paying what I had paid for Awakening is too much for DA2.

Advertisement