Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

At the same time, I can't begrudge him for going somewhere that pays actual real life money.

NJPW is the WWE of Japan. He's unlikely to be making peanuts. Especially since he usually only works for them and tiny Indy promotions. He rarely works for the big Indy's so cant be doing too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JumpingNothing

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    NJPW is the WWE of Japan. He's unlikely to be making peanuts. Especially since he usually only works for them and tiny Indy promotions. He rarely works for the big Indy's so cant be doing too badly.

True, but somebody threw out figures of Tensai earning four times in WWE what he earned in NJPW. They're paying him a very good living for sure, but the WWE is on another planet in terms of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

TBH if I was getting a high end WWE salary they could make me join Mcmahon's ass kissing club weekly on raw and I couldn't care less.

True, but somebody threw out figures of Tensai earning four times in WWE what he earned in NJPW. They're paying him a very good living for sure, but the WWE is on another planet in terms of revenue.

It isnt all about money. If he is making a comfortable living and more importantly, is happy, why disrupt that? He'd have to move to another continent and be on the road a whole lot more than he currently is. It would be different if he were living in America as it would only be extra travel, but he would have to uproot everything for something that might not work out.
    ShagNastii wrote: »
    TBH if I was getting a high end WWE salary they could make me join Mcmahon's ass kissing club weekly on raw and I couldn't care less.

Which McMahon? I know one that would have a long waiting list :pac:

It isnt all about money. If he is making a comfortable living and more importantly, is happy, why disrupt that? He'd have to move to another continent and be on the road a whole lot more than he currently is. It would be different if he were living in America as it would only be extra travel, but he would have to uproot everything for something that might not work out.

Yeah, and that's true for most professions, but I think pro wrestlers are conscious of the time limit on their careers. Devitt could be going full time for what, maybe 10 more years? He'd want to put a lot of money away in that time and a few years in WWE on a stupid salary would make a massive difference to the rest of his life.

I do hope you're right though, the prospect of Prince Devitt doing time in Vince McMahon humiliation angles makes me brain bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure how I feel about the idea of him in WWE. Would they let him keep his name? Doubt it. Do we really want to see Prince Devitt become NXT's Brad Dawson? Or maybe he'll get an Irish name (or what sounds an Irish name to Americans) Jack McFinnegan or something.

I'd fear he'd end up as another Senshi. A bit of buzz for a week or two but then left to job on Superstars to the Wyatts.

Still, maybe it's something he has to try just for his own sake to make sure he has no regrets when he eventually retires. I just hope they'd let him show what has gotten him where he is rather than reboot him altogether.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I'd fear he'd end up as another Senshi. A bit of buzz for a week or two but then left to job on Superstars to the Wyatts.

Senshi was a completely different time both developmental wise and creatively. Low Ki and Devitt are so different in so many ways in is not worth discussing IMO. Devitt is as professional as Low Ki isn't. A better comparison/test case and it is still early days for him is Adrian Neville as they were essentially going to be signed together. Even saying that Neville isn't that great as some convincing had to be done before WWE signed him. While Triple H, Regal and tonnes more all want Devitt, some for years.

You can say what you want about Tensai being a flop. But Tensai is a Triple H guy in real llife in that will likely have a post career job with WWE likely as a trainer. Tensai also happens to be a big supporter of Devitt. I know elsewhere on the roster Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Tyson Kidd are all big fans of Devitt. In short there's a lot of people there that will put a good word in or advocate for a strong position/tp work with him.

Karl Anderson is New Japan tag partner said that. I believe it. But the difference between New Japan and WWE is that in WWE you have pay for your travel, accommodation etc. So essentially half your pay check is spent on the road. New Japan on the other hand pay for more or less everything.
    Yeah, and that's true for most professions, but I think pro wrestlers are conscious of the time limit on their careers. Devitt could be going full time for what, maybe 10 more years? He'd want to put a lot of money away in that time and a few years in WWE on a stupid salary would make a massive difference to the rest of his life.

And with an increased profile he could have a pretty decent post-WWE career whether it is periodic indy days, conventions and likely for him have a higher profile name attached for your Wrestling School.

What Meltzer wrote largely details most of us who has followed the story know already except the bold bit:
    WWE has also opened up talks again with Fergal "Prince" Devitt. In the past, Devitt has talked about being happy with New Japan given the style and the fact he's got a guaranteed good spot in a place he's established his name, plus it's a lot better schedule to work. At the same time, there is far more potential money in WWE, and the New Japan style is far tougher physically. At 32, with injuries starting to crop up, you start thinking about your financial future and decisions you may have made a few years ago are looked at differently. The thing with Devitt is, he's not just got the in-ring work but has a heel attitude and personality completely unlike anyone in the company right now. But as the leader of The Bullet Club, he's really in the best position of his career in New Japan as far as a guy who will get major singles matches and probably a PPV main event and one or two semis a year, and is part of a growing company. I know people who have done both New Japan and WWE and they are much happier in New Japan, but money is an issue and it also depends on what kind of commitment WWE makes financially. WWE offered Tensai a huge downside because they expected him to be a main event heel, even if he didn't make it, but he's making far more than he'd have made in Japan. What WWE offered A.J. Styles, who has a bigger U.S. name than Devitt, as far as a guarantee goes, may be the same or less than Devitt is already guaranteed in Japan.

Someone worked out/said that AJ's current WWE offer is a fifth of what TNA are paying him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Someone worked out/said that AJ's current WWE offer is a fifth of what TNA are paying him.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that's really insulting for a guy in my opinion who has been one of the best wrestlers in North America for the last decade

• Advertisement

LOTD wrote: »
    Seriously, that's really insulting for a guy in my opinion who has been one of the best wrestlers in North America for the last decade

I can understand the lower offer, he's mid 30's and not well known to the WWE audience, but a fifth is a joke.

I can understand the lower offer, he's mid 30's and not well known to the WWE audience, but a fifth is a joke.

Would he end making more with the WWE in the long run?

LOTD wrote: »

From the WWE POV:
    - They aren't to paying a premium on the "transfer market" for someone they probably an equal to in-house or developmental.

- AJ Styles isn't a star he is just a dude who has been on national TV who has been near-terminally misused. If you want to label him damaged goods you can.

- WWE seems to think from what I am lead to believe there's a "TNA stink."

- Young AJ Styles is 36. Under Johnny Ace's reign in talent relations the given cut off age was 32 - with some exceptions. Devitt is 32 by the way.

Edit:

- Also probably too Southern. Not even trolling on this one.

rovert wrote: »
    From the WWE POV:
    - They aren't to paying a premium on the "transfer market" for someone they probably an equal to in-house or developmental.

- AJ Styles isn't a star he is just a dude who has been on national TV who has been near-terminally misused. If you want to label him damaged goods you can.

- WWE seems to think from what I am lead to believe there's a "TNA stink."

- Young AJ Styles is 36. Under Johnny Ace's reign in talent relations the given cut off age was 32 - with some exceptions. Devitt is 32 by the way.

Just a little shocked at the offer really. Damaged goods, not sure I would agree with that. Would like to seem him in the WWE, he has done all he can with TNA. Just saw your southern comment, oh yeah Vince hates southern people JR and Cornette, just two examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Also probably too Southern. Not even trolling on this one.

Put him with the Wyatts then(admittedly i'd hate it alrite). But he'd be the only one of them who isn't fat and fúcking useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Considering AJ's probably not on huge money, offering him a fifth of that just seems mean spirited. Why bother offering him anything at all?

Considering AJ's probably not on huge money, offering him a fifth of that just seems mean spirited. Why bother offering him anything at all?

And then leak it to the dirtsheets too.

In fairness how many times have TNA strictly used WWE interest real or fake just for negotiating leverage for TNA or to further a storyline.

I should have a better feel about what money AJ is on. I assume 500k, MF?

Devitt responding to the rumours?

ws3bmh.png

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Saw the Davitt tweet. Really great.

It's a pity TNA is so far from the WWE. There is no TNA made star that could jump ship and do something akin to Jericho in WWF.

You think if WWE made a hype train they could make Davitt's debut memorable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I should have a better feel about what money AJ is on. I assume 500k, MF?

I have no idea really but I would've always thought closer to 300-350k. But that's only a guess.

• Advertisement

If Meltzer's right on the salary issue it sounds like they're offering Devitt something developmentalish, which would seem to be very naive of them.

You always hear stories of WWE's talent people failing to grasp what the scouts are bringing them, could be the same incompetence here.

I would disagree with Meltzer on the injury issue by the way. With NJPW, you get a lot of time off every year to heal up. Wrestling strong style every night for a month and then taking 3 weeks off is less taxing than wrestling 5 nights a week almost continuously (according to folks like MVP at least).

Mike Johnson of PWInsider linked WWE's interest in Devitt to him being an international star (Japan and UK & Ireland) and the mythical Cruiserweight show on the mythical WWE Network.

Devitt responding to the rumours?

:)

Haha classic Cantona quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

In semi-related news, my friend in Florida went to an NXT house show the other day and said Rebecca Knox / Becky Lynch had a match and went down really well, he was really impressed with her :)

She's a heel with a "cuts promos in limericks" gimmick! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Finally they've got someone in NXT who's actually training to be a heel. They train everyone to be faces and end up having to turn them because there's an imbalance

Finally they've got someone in NXT who's actually training to be a heel. They train everyone to be faces and end up having to turn them because there's an imbalance

Ideally, everyone should start as a babyface because it is harder than being a heel. If you can master being a babyface, being a heel will be easy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭NLW_Info

Prince devitt is wrestling saturday night in athlone for wrestling.ie. come ask him about the rumours :-)

2419fl4.jpg

Meltzer in the Observer:
    Regarding Fergal “Prince” Devitt, what we’re told is that he has been talking to WWE, but at this point the talks have not reached the level of anything serious.

Meltzer then this morning said on the Japan side there's no expectation that he will leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I don't follow wrestling at all anymore really so dont know much about this guy at all apart from hes irish and wrestles in japan, but could he really "make it" in wwe I.e. be a star and win a belt or are we looking at him through tri colour tinted glasses?

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »
    I don't follow wrestling at all anymore really so dont know much about this guy at all apart from hes irish and wrestles in japan, but could he really "make it" in wwe I.e. be a star and win a belt or are we looking at him through tri colour tinted glasses?

He's definitely talented enough, but is already in his 30's and isnt very big physically. I'd expect WWE to give him an Irish sounding name (to American's anyway) and have him be Hornswoggles big brother or something. I have no faith in WWE to do anything worthwhile with him.

Advertisement