Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government to set min price on gargle

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

HansHolzel wrote: »
    None of you whingers gives a damn about public health. It's just me me me and my sauce

It's already been pointed out that most of us don't actually drink the cheap stuff which will be affected. I just think poor people shouldn't be hit with regressive charges which don't apply to rich people who can more easily afford them.

If you want to raise the price of Dutch Gold to €2 a can, fine, increase excise duty on beer. All beer, including the stuff the Vintners sell.

Then listen to them shift into reverse on the health issue so fast it should give them whiplash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I just think poor people shouldn't be hit with regressive charges which don't apply to rich people who can more easily afford them.

Why don't you give cut-price Lottery tickets to the poor while you're at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Public health ain't in your picture, whatever else is.

I'll just nip out to the subsidised Dail bar; down a short, and get back to you on it.

I'm back.
    I'd like to see less controls, levies and sin taxes, and more education and personal accountability.
    Better for everybodys health, see.

mikom wrote: »
    I'll just nip out to the subsidised Dail bar; .

Yeah everything's the fault of the politicians

Nobody seemed to imagine that the nation itself was as culpable as the South Sea Company. Nobody blamed the credulity and avarice of the people – the degrading lust of gain… or the infatuation which had made the multitude run their heads with such frantic eagerness into the net held out for them by scheming projectors. These things were never mentioned. The people were a simple, honest, hard-working people, ruined by a gang of robbers, who were to be hanged, drawn, and quartered without mercy.

- Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

ruined by a gang of robbers, who were to be hanged, drawn, and quartered without mercy.

Get back to me when one of them gets as much as a kick up the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yeah, poor people shouldn't be wasting their money on gambling. Also, cigarettes and alcohol, Supermacs, frozen pizzas, and foreign holidays.

Gruel, that's the stuff, bread and water. Good enough for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Because gambling can be a bad addiction too...

Nobody seemed to imagine that the nation itself was as culpable as the South Sea Company. Nobody blamed the credulity and avarice of the people – the degrading lust of gain… or the infatuation which had made the multitude run their heads with such frantic eagerness into the net held out for them by scheming projectors. These things were never mentioned. The people were a simple, honest, hard-working people, ruined by a gang of robbers, who were to be hanged, drawn, and quartered without mercy.

- Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

Huh? If anything, that means to take off the blindfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Take it whatever way you like. You will still get it wrong.
    aw bless, still no explanation of you you figure it is cheap. Just as I expected.
    if you got it for nothing it still wouldn't be cheap enough for some of you
    Wrong, people have already explained to you why they think it is not cheap, perhaps you didn't understand and that's why you would make such a ridiculous comment.
    None of you whingers gives a damn about public health.
    I would like to see alcohol made illegal, in line with the other dangerous (and benign) recreational drugs. If not I do not want to see what could be "sin tax" money going directly into the hands of the drug dealers selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I think the poster you were replying to was referring to the hypocritical nature of politicians going on about public health concerns but still having a subsidised bar in the Dail.

Anyway, whenever you stop searching for poems to cut and paste, could you get back to us and show some evidence of below cost selling of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think its unfair to target the binge drinkers, I'm probably a binge drinker myself, only I don't drink cheap piss! most of the time...

• Advertisement

Eutow wrote: »
    I think the poster you were replying to was referring to the hypocritical nature of politicians going on about public health concerns but still having a subsidised bar in the Dail.

Anyway, whenever you stop searching for poems to cut and paste, could you get back to us and show some evidence of below cost selling of alcohol.

re "below cost selling" you're mixing me up with some other poster

but why am I not surprised?

rubadub wrote: »
    perhaps you didn't understand and that's why you would make such a ridiculous comment.

You're a moderator?? Follow your own rules pal and don't be offensive as well as thick

rubadub wrote: »

I would like to see alcohol made illegal

Thick

You're a moderator?? Follow your own rules pal and don't be offensive as well as thick

Have you any poems about personal abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

HansHolzel is taking some time off right now

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

Giving you the finger has meaning. It isn't a word ;-) dumbass.

Giving the finger isn't a noise I make with my mouth.

A word doesn't have to be in the dictionary, a word is a word if it conveys meaning.
    Loads of words aren't in the dictionary yet. Slang words are words. Just because they aren't in the dictionary doesn't mean they're not words.

Find me the dictionary definition of a word that says it must be in the dictionary then.

By your definition there where no words until we wrote the first dictionary, which is obvious nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

MadYaker wrote: »
    It is by Irish standards. You never see cans for less than a euro anymore.
    Except in Dunnes and Lidl and Aldi.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Except in Dunnes and Lidl and Aldi.

There are very few in any of those stores for under a euro and the ones that are, aren't generally popular. I know that when I worked in Dunnes you'd be lucky to sell more than ten cams of the cheap, cheap stuff a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't think its unfair to target the binge drinkers, I'm probably a binge drinker myself, only I don't drink cheap piss! most of the time...

But it doesn't target the binge drinkers, it targets people who drink cheap stuff on the assumption that they're all alcos rather than just poor/frugal. Targeting binge drinkers would be things like:
    - arresting for drunk and disorderly so that streets are safer
    - supplying more places on alcohol rehab courses - quitting booze is very hard and the public provision is very weak, it's only a few charities and voluntary groups that hold it together

But the problem is that those ideas would be expensive and difficult to implement and take a long time. Much better to make a vague gesture that doesn't solve anything but makes you look Tough on Boozers while at the same time Saving Rural Ireland (tm).

Whisko wrote: »
    Giving the finger isn't a noise I make with my mouth.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

:eek:

You know, like a word is?

Glad your back to troll on bro.

Advertisement