Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

age of OSI maps ?

• 25-10-2013 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

came across this a while ago

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

in bottom right hand corner I have the option of choosing what map I want

my question is what age are the historic 6" and what age are the historic 25"

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

aidanki wrote: »
    came across this a while ago

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

in bottom right hand corner I have the option of choosing what map I want

my question is what age are the historic 6" and what age are the historic 25"
    The 6" dates from 1838-40 and the 25" from c. 1860. Also known as the first and second editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

slowburner wrote: »
    The 6" dates from 1838-40 and the 25" from c. 1860. Also known as the first and second editions.

is that 6" 1838-1840 the oldest map that is available of this country

the area I am interested in is north kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

slowburner wrote: »

Is the 25" more recent? or was it reviewed at some stage? I only ask because it clearly shows the full Tralee to Dingle railway which only opened in 1890/91. Likewise the line to Achill - opened 1895 - is shown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

aidanki wrote: »
    is that 6" 1838-1840 the oldest map that is available of this country

the area I am interested in is north kerry

With any degree of accuracy, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

A thing to note with the 25inch map views is that as you zoom out the map age changes so at the lowest level it can be late 19th century but zooming out the map becomes much earlier. Example - Dundrum in Dublin: at maximum zoom it clearly shows the railway line but zoom out a few clicks and line is gone as well as a lot of the houses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement