Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cheapest Christmas Wrapping Paper in Ireland

• 26-10-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Ok, so maybe not the most expensive part of Christmas :P but with so many shops selling wrapping paper, I'd just love to know which is the cheapest :-)

The figure shows my findings so far. It's sorted from cheapest to dearest. The key figure to note is the Price Per Square Meter - this is the real value for money indicator!

The paper I'm comparing is just the ordinary stuff - not branded like Disney, Hello Kitty, etc.

6OGDjNz.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Exciting Saturday night in, eh?? :P :pac:

One thing the chart can't account for is quality, unfortunately. I'm a stickler for nice stiff paper!

(why are there two Ikeas btw?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

Alicat wrote: »

One thing the chart can't account for is quality, unfortunately. I'm a stickler for nice stiff paper!

One was 90cm wide and one was 70?

OP, rookie mistake, comparison should be based on the square meter price not meter price.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah I love the really thick good quality stuff. I got the Ikea stuff a couple of years ago and it kept tearing. They have lovely designs though. I always go for 3 for 2 in M&S.

Yeah I love the really thick good quality stuff. I got the Ikea stuff a couple of years ago and it kept tearing. They have lovely designs though. I always go for 3 for 2 in M&S.

So the IKEA prices are from a couple of years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd gladly pay a fiver for a sheet of wrapping paper if it was gorgeous and really good quality. Good thick paper is a must for me, no matter what the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

OP, rookie mistake, comparison should be based on the square meter price not meter price.

Thanks, you're right :-)

Yeah, I thought about that but quality is a bit subjective so I didn't mention it except to have a "comments" columns where anything specific could be mentioned.

One was 90cm wide and one was 70?

Yup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

lidl and aldi sell 4 meter rolls of wrapping paper on the cheap close to the big day . lidl had some on sale there last week .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I bought the 3 for 2 offer in M&S last year. Also bought some in Dunnes. I would prefer to spend a little extra for good quality than have stuff that essentially needs to be sellotaped all over to prevent tearing. Plus I like paper that has the guide-lines for cutting on the inside!

I did get some great gift tags and bows/ribbons in Tesco last year for quite inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Dealz wrapping paper is fine for me :)

Updated 31/10/13
    14x3WRj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

In the last couple of years I have been using that paper that has the silver shiny side on the inside, not really sure whats it called. Its pretty smelly, but very easy to wrap with:)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Well I wouldn't class myself as a Grinch but I think it would be pure madness to pay 5 euro for a sheet of wrapping paper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

muckisluck wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't class myself as a Grinch but I think it would be pure madness to pay 5 euro for a sheet of wrapping paper.

Agreed seeing how the people opening the presents tend to rip the wrapping paper to shreds!

muckisluck wrote: »

I wouldn't spend a fiver per sheet if I was wrapping a lot of presents (I'd be broke!) but sometimes certain presents can be finished off very well with some fabulous paper.

Yeah, for the bulk of my presents I'd use rolls and then a few smaller presents get nice paper. I'm mad about my wrapping though so can go overboard!
    Maybe €3.99 for a sheet of wrapping paper would be more like it if I'm honest. But I would genuinely spend a fiver if it was really really fabulous paper. :D

Sometimes I just carried away- I spent €14.99 on a box just to put a present in once. :o
    It was very nice though. I sneakily robbed it back once the person had opened their gift and I keep nail polishes in it now so it didn't go to waste!

Posy wrote: »

Sometimes I just carried away- I spent €14.99 on a box just to put a present in once. :o
    It was very nice though. I sneakily robbed it back once the person had opened their gift and I keep nail polishes in it now so it didn't go to waste!

Oh this is so me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm the same posy, I've posted in here the past few years about my Christmas wrapping "themes". I've been known to spend up to €50 on my wrapping paraphernalia every Christmas. It's very important to me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Ok, so maybe not the most expensive part of Christmas :P but with so many shops selling wrapping paper, I'd just love to know which is the cheapest :-)

The figure shows my findings so far. It's sorted from cheapest to dearest. The key figure to note is the Price Per Square Meter - this is the real value for money indicator!

The paper I'm comparing is just the ordinary stuff - not branded like Disney, Hello Kitty, etc.

6OGDjNz.png

This is very handy to know. I volunteer with a group that makes up Christmas hampers. The hampers are cardboard boxes wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper. Cheap plentiful is what's need.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

I'm the same posy, I've posted in here the past few years about my Christmas wrapping "themes". I've been known to spend up to €50 on my wrapping paraphernalia every Christmas. It's very important to me!!!!

I want to know more about your "themes"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I want to know more about your "themes"!!!

Haha! People are probably fed up of me talking about them, I mention them every year :D

One year, I had a really simple black and gold theme. It was black wrapping paper with gold bows and ribbons of all shapes and sizes. Here's a pic.

The following year, I used plain brown parcel paper and used red twine instead of a ribbon. Instead of gift tags, I bought these cheap, old fashioned wooden Christmas tree decorations in Inspiring Ideas and tied those on.

Another year (this was my favourite!) I got silver wrapping paper, green ribbon and tied a few little jingle bells onto each gift. This is what I was inspired by. I didn't have the sheet music but the ribbons I had were the same lovely green colour and the bells were really effective, everyone loved them.

Last year I again used brown parcel paper, and then I put a strip of patterned wrapping paper around the middle of the present. I used green or red bows, and I made plain gift-tags out of card paper and tied them to the bow with thread. Pic here. This was reeeeally time consuming, I don't think I'd do it again!

I've no idea what to do this year!!! I actually think I might go back to doing something like the black and gold, a plain coloured wrapping paper and then different sorts of ribbons in another colour. It's really simple but looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Penneys do wrapping paper quite cheaply. I think its €1.50 or €2 for rolls that run about 5-10 metres (although don't hold me to that its been a whole year since I've checked!). They also do the branded Disney wrapping paper for not too much as well. Its not very thick and can be prone to tearing sometimes but

What I tend to do most Christmas is hover around in the post Christmas sales and pick up wrapping paper, bows, gift boxes, ribbons etc when they're marking them to clear and pick stuff up for next to nothing (Example: A couple of years a ago I managed to pick up 20 rolls of really nice wrapping paper and a load of bows and gift boxes in various places like M&S, Homebase, Easons etc for about for less than €10 for the the lot and still have some it left!). Then I pack them up for the rest year and forget about them.

As Christmas approaches I'll go through them then pick the colours/style I'm going to use for the year and pick up a few things up before Christmas (usually from Penneys) to help tie up this various discounted hodge-podge into a slightly more cohesive colour scheme and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LadyMeowMeow

Haha! People are probably fed up of me talking about them, I mention them every year :D

One year, I had a really simple black and gold theme. It was black wrapping paper with gold bows and ribbons of all shapes and sizes. Here's a pic.

The following year, I used plain brown parcel paper and used red twine instead of a ribbon. Instead of gift tags, I bought these cheap, old fashioned wooden Christmas tree decorations in Inspiring Ideas and tied those on.

Another year (this was my favourite!) I got silver wrapping paper, green ribbon and tied a few little jingle bells onto each gift. This is what I was inspired by. I didn't have the sheet music but the ribbons I had were the same lovely green colour and the bells were really effective, everyone loved them.

Last year I again used brown parcel paper, and then I put a strip of patterned wrapping paper around the middle of the present. I used green or red bows, and I made plain gift-tags out of card paper and tied them to the bow with thread. Pic here. This was reeeeally time consuming, I don't think I'd do it again!

I've no idea what to do this year!!! I actually think I might go back to doing something like the black and gold, a plain coloured wrapping paper and then different sorts of ribbons in another colour. It's really simple but looks lovely.

Wow! I love all the pics. They sound great. I love wrapping too and Theme is my middle name! I have no pictures but my favourite wrapping themes have been a deep purple and gold, then last year I had brown parcel paper, a kind of forest green and red and I used raffia, red/green ribbon or twine and I stuck things like candy canes, cinnamon sticks on to the presents.
    Not sure what way to go this year.. Really loving the sheet music wrapping paper but it seems to be hard to find!

Not sure what way to go this year.. Really loving the sheet music wrapping paper but it seems to be hard to find!

If you're wrapping small presents, you can print some sheet music off on a nice sheet of A4 paper (maybe a cream, textured paper) and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Penney's 8m (70cm wide) E1.50. The one I got is red with a Scandinavian style design in white. It's very low quality (light) but just the job seeing as it'll be torn off anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Tesco do loads of wrapping paper and it's not mentioned at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

You're all mad about the Christmas eh? ;)
    Ah who am I kidding...
    I fookin' love a nicely wrapped present. I generally spend €3.99 to maybe €5 on the nice stuff but if I've a load to wrap them it's the cheapest goes for me! :)

• Advertisement

The Hallmark shops have sheet music wrapping paper- I've seen it in the Grafton Street and Stephen's Green branches. :)

Advertisement