Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Betting and Bank accounts

• 22-10-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a question...

Recently I was talking to the bank manager in my own branch when I was inquiring about a loan. He casually mentioned to me to stop using online betting as it will effect whether I get a loan or not. (I'm a student).

So my question is, if I set up an account with a different bank, eg. use BOI as main branch and use AIB for all online betting will this still effect me if I go to apply for a loan etc?

If anyone has any other tips for this please help, and also views on skrill. com ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

no
    two different banks
    two different statements
    other banks cant see each others statements

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Have been using skrill for few years now and have never had a problem or issues regards the bank. Best service imho for gambling purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Whats the story with debit cards? I heard using debit cards for betting wont effect loans, will it? It doesn't sound right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

FatRat wrote: »
    Whats the story with debit cards? I heard using debit cards for betting wont effect loans, will it? It doesn't sound right to me.

it still comes up as a statement on your account
    so ya it still affects your chances of a loan as your seen as a gambler

who would want to take a loan off a bank away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I use Paypal and have all my bookies accounts setup to deposit and withdraw using Paypal. All the transactions happen within Paypal not on my bank account keeps everything very clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chroi

I thought using paypal for betting sites wasn't allowed as per their usage policy? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

chroi wrote: »
    I thought using paypal for betting sites wasn't allowed as per their usage policy? Genuine question.

Maybe in the States seeing as online betting is illegal in most states but Ive used it without a bother for it myself for a good while now

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Just a heads up:
    If a bank ever asks you why you have deposit to Bookmaker x on your statement, always say "someone you work with asks you to put money on for him as he can't get on and you get paid a % of his winnings".
    Looks even better as you are getting paid a % of the winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

chroi wrote: »

I changed over about a year ago and have had no issues since, I had to re-validate my account as I had more than €2.5k of transactions in a year, can't remember the exact process but it was very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Most mortgage underwriters are women so you can assume that any form of online gambling on your current account looks bad and will be difficult to explain rationally even if you are winning.

Not sure about skrill, I presume they would ask about this, ie what is it and what are you using the cash for that's being deposited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

Still don't know the answer to the question ' Do banks get information from paypal whether you're using it to gamble or not ' is my question, because i'm trying to deposit but won't let me as i've to link my bank/debit card to it.

I'm deciding to use paypal but i have plenty in it so no depositing money from bank to paypal balance
    And
    No withdrawing to paypal to bank.

I very much doubt the banks would be asking paypal for any information and I very much doubt paypal would be permitted to provide it to them.

I would expect that they'd only challenge you on it if they see debits on your current account.

Just a heads up:
    If a bank ever asks you why you have deposit to Bookmaker x on your statement, always say "someone you work with asks you to put money on for him as he can't get on and you get paid a % of his winnings".
    Looks even better as you are getting paid a % of the winnings.

Genuine question - does this fly? And if so, was it a personal loan or mortgage, and what bank?

Advertisement