Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part time work & general job chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Drop a cv into tk maxx, there hiring,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

Drop a cv into tk maxx, there hiring,

Oh are they thanks telling me this i looking for part time any idea if for that?

Andip wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, had my fingers crossed today for you.

Aww thanks that very nice of you to say i think got my hopes up to much. Main thing is not to give up hope keep looking around

rob316 wrote: »
    Ugh memories of working in dunnes on seasonal work all those years. If you have any dignity, self worth or pride you would never work there again. Worked in 2 dunnes and I can comfortably say they were the worst jobs ever.
    Offered to keep me on twice but I declined.

Anyway op best of luck its slim pickings out there unfortunately.

Oh really are they that bad to work with why is that? i thought they be good company which treats you well. thanks i just keep looking around for something .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Oh really are they that bad to work with why is that? i thought they be good company which treats you well. thanks i just keep looking around for something .

Don't ever let one persons bad experience put you off trying for a job there.

Just because that person didn't like it doesn't mean you won't.

If there was a load of people on here saying they are bad to work for, then that's fine.

Only one way to find out is try it for yourself.

You may like it ... You may not.

• Advertisement

MrFrisp wrote: »

If there was a load of people on here saying they are bad to work for, then that's fine.

Aww thanks so true there i go again getting put off by what other people tell me but everyone opinion is different and i might love it and not find bad at all. Appreciate it :) i was thinking doing up cv and cover letter all dunnes near and address HR manager instead go in store as they always turn me away min see me when i just want ask think i better chance?x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never heard anyone say that Dunnes was a good place to work, tbh, including my mother who worked there back in the 60s. Anyone I know who's worked there hasn't enjoyed it.

But then again, I'm sure plenty of people must get something from it to stay there.

Faith wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone say that Dunnes was a good place to work, tbh, including my mother who worked there back in the 60s. Anyone I know who's worked there hasn't enjoyed it.

But then again, I'm sure plenty of people must get something from it to stay there.

What were the main reasons people didnt like working there just wondering . i prob never get chance work there anyway hard get in there on less know someone i say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely I'm not trying to put anyone off from working anywhere.

I absolutely hate the place and I worked in 2 branches and the bigger of the two was far worse. Maybe it was because I was a seasonal worker I dont know but I was miserable there.

Whats wrong with the place?? You are treated like an idiot and with utter contempt. Department managers and floor managers are on absolute needless power trips and will step over you to climb up the ladder. There was nice managers who treated you like a person but the majority are just unprofessional ego maniacs.

They dont pay bad but imo its not worth it. I worked in McDonalds for a short time and that was actually enjoyable.

I absolutely hate the place and I worked in 2 branches and the bigger of the two was far worse. Maybe it was because I was a seasonal worker I dont know but I was miserable there.

Whats wrong with the place?? You are treated like an idiot and with utter contempt. Department managers and floor managers are on absolute needless power trips and will step over you to climb up the ladder. There was nice managers who treated you like a person but the majority are just unprofessional ego maniacs.

They dont pay bad but imo its not worth it. I worked in McDonalds for a short time and that was actually enjoyable.

Oh sorry hear you didnt enjoy it where were them dunnes in cork was it? dont sound to pleasant if going treat like that alright . only way i find out is if got in there myself but i doubt seems very hard get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I worked in dunnes for over 2 years, the only issue i had was that they wouldnt give me full time hours so i left to take a full time job,
    some people take themselves to seriously and think they are above the job i think that is the main problem, when i started there this girl would spend every day on break saying she was going to quit, then over 2 years later when i was leaving she was in the same seat saying she was going to quit and complaining about the place:)

There is the weekend staff working 6-10 a few nights a week then 2-10 saturday or something like that, they get a few sundays aswell,I remember handing a cv into customer service, i got a call a few days later so it was a quick process, I think all store have seperate HR so i would hand in cv`s to all of them you can get too!

bladebrew wrote: »
    I worked in dunnes for over 2 years, the only issue i had was that they wouldnt give me full time hours so i left to take a full time job,
    some people take themselves to seriously and think they are above the job i think that is the main problem, when i started there this girl would spend every day on break saying she was going to quit, then over 2 years later when i was leaving she was in the same seat saying she was going to quit and complaining about the place:)

There is the weekend staff working 6-10 a few nights a week then 2-10 saturday or something like that, they get a few sundays aswell,I remember handing a cv into customer service, i got a call a few days later so it was a quick process, I think all store have seperate HR so i would hand in cv`s to all of them you can get too!

Ah i get what you mean i cant stand people who keep on complaining about something you just think look if your not happy leave then and stop going on about it we are never tied down to just one thing in this world u know have so many options now do. oh so i might have chance if left cv in there and were they looking for staff at the time you left it in or not . some places min see you just say no not taking any but i still want leave cv there i might try it for crack never know .

I am very happy just got a email back from topaz they were looking for sales assistant and said i have a interview next tuesday in morning oh god i am nervous what kind questions think might ask me . i going bring my cv with me and my college hours anything eles i might need?
    I have black jeans high shoes and nice top with jacket to wear and will wear make up.
    hope goes ok nervous but excited i would love work part time there and i think it open 24 hours to .

Any advice appreciate it

Hey,

I applied for a job in Topaz yesterday and just after getting email today asking me come for interview next tuesday i am so excited but nervous. They did not tell me bring anything but i was going bring my cv and college hours anyway .

Any advice what i should know going in or might ask me bundle nerves dont want mess up but looking forward to it something about me liked if called for interview anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

ld know going in or might ask me bundle nerves dont want mess up but looking forward to it something about me liked if called for interview anyway :)

well done! :)

They probably ask you the usual questions: what is your strength/weakness etc, why do you want the job, why do you think u are good for it.
    give an example of good/bad customer service
    how would you handle difficult situations etc

something along these lines!

Now...i have my own question too!

I would love to start in a pet shop or work something with pets. would prefer dogs or horses.
    wouldnt mind any kind of work, does anyone know something?
    please PM me if you do! :)

Well, you clearly had a bad experience there and it justifies you not liking the place, and who could blame you.

At least you had the sense to move on as well...It amazes me how many people would put up with that day after day.

Hope your in a lot better and happier job now.

Hey,

I applied for a job in Topaz yesterday and just after getting email today asking me come for interview next tuesday i am so excited but nervous. They did not tell me bring anything but i was going bring my cv and college hours anyway .

Any advice what i should know going in or might ask me bundle nerves dont want mess up but looking forward to it something about me liked if called for interview anyway :)

Having just done some test interviews recently, these are the questions we are told that could pop up at an interview:

Interview questions
    Tell me about yourself
    What are your strengths and weaknesses
    Why should we hire you
    Describe your greatest achievement
    What are your goals for the next 5 years
    Describe how your work experience relates to this job
    How have you gone about prioritizing your work
    Tell me about a supervisor/manager you have worked for
    What made you apply for this job
    What qualities do you think are most important
    Do you have any questions for me?

And questions you could ask back..

· What are the plans for the company for the next 5 years
    · New markets?
    · Training available?
    · Who does this position report to?
    · If I’m offered the job, how soon would I be expected to start?

Hope some of that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just chill out op and be yourself. It will probably be very informal, dress well but not to overdone. They will probably be more interested in how flexible you are and any experience you have. Ive worked in a maxol before there generally doesn't need to be any previous experience.

Best of luck

celica00 wrote: »
    well done! :)

They probably ask you the usual questions: what is your strength/weakness etc, why do you want the job, why do you think u are good for it.
    give an example of good/bad customer service
    how would you handle difficult situations etc

something along these lines!

Now...i have my own question too!

I would love to start in a pet shop or work something with pets. would prefer dogs or horses.
    wouldnt mind any kind of work, does anyone know something?
    please PM me if you do! :)

Hey thanks for getting back to me about this that is good to know no harm asking and having few answers ready not let my nerves get the better of me you know . mm think i saw a job advertised on fas website i type in job and cork city and there something maxi zoo out douglas i think or ballincoliq not sure should be stillup

Having just done some test interviews recently, these are the questions we are told that could pop up at an interview:

Interview questions
    Tell me about yourself
    What are your strengths and weaknesses
    Why should we hire you
    Describe your greatest achievement
    What are your goals for the next 5 years
    Describe how your work experience relates to this job
    How have you gone about prioritizing your work
    Tell me about a supervisor/manager you have worked for
    What made you apply for this job
    What qualities do you think are most important
    Do you have any questions for me?

And questions you could ask back..

· What are the plans for the company for the next 5 years
    · New markets?
    · Training available?
    · Who does this position report to?
    · If I’m offered the job, how soon would I be expected to start?

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks for telling me that i going type them up and put what i want say under that way i have good idea of what want say if going be asked. dont seem to complicated i suppose just worrying over nothing what i do best always say lol. i defo ask that question training available like that and the last one if offered a job. hope i do ok in there

• Advertisement

Just chill out op and be yourself. It will probably be very informal, dress well but not to overdone. They will probably be more interested in how flexible you are and any experience you have. Ive worked in a maxol before there generally doesn't need to be any previous experience.

Best of luck

Thanks i should not worry as much . i was going wear black jeans black high heel shoes, kinda black and white blouse top with a red jacket? hair tied back and some make up . i have some deli experience in 2009 been i am a people person so will tell them that as well .
    thanks very much fingers crossed get offered something i be so happy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks i should not worry as much . i was going wear black jeans black high heel shoes, kinda black and white blouse top with a red jacket? hair tied back and some make up . i have some deli experience in 2009 been i am a people person so will tell them that as well .
    thanks very much fingers crossed get offered something i be so happy

Deli experience is actually quite sought after, might be worth sending in a cv to Musgrave on the Tramore Road, they run the franchise for Supervalu and Centra. When store owners need staff they often ask Musgrave if they know anyone available before they advertise.

Andip wrote: »
    Deli experience is actually quite sought after, might be worth sending in a cv to Musgrave on the Tramore Road, they run the franchise for Supervalu and Centra. When store owners need staff they often ask Musgrave if they know anyone available before they advertise.

Thanks for telling me this is there a bus that goes out to musgrave ? could you send me the full address and i will post on cv and a cover letter no harm having it on file. supervalu such a lovely place to work as well would be . I love gain lots experience in a store not just deli i would like learn till and how stock things correctly and use top up machine or lotto very good to know

Thanks for telling me this is there a bus that goes out to musgrave ? could you send me the full address and i will post on cv and a cover letter no harm having it on file. supervalu such a lovely place to work as well would be . I love gain lots experience in a store not just deli i would like learn till and how stock things correctly and use top up machine or lotto very good to know

Nearest bus that would get you there would be the 203. Used to be the number 3.
    It would drop you very close to the Manhatten Bar and it's only a 2/3 min walk from there.
    In fact, when you turn to walk away from that bar, you'd see Musgraves across the road.

Nearest bus that would get you there would be the 203. Used to be the number 3.
    It would drop you very close to the Manhatten Bar and it's only a 2/3 min walk from there.
    In fact, when you turn to walk away from that bar, you'd see Musgraves across the road.

Thanks for that no harm in knowing . I found their email and send my cv along college hours and all said if any part time positions arise no harm sure . But who knows might get job in topaz if they like me fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

any jobs going in the likes of woodies or b+q or hardware shops like them.

mengele wrote: »
    any jobs going in the likes of woodies or b+q or hardware shops like them.

I have not heard of any but someone on here might have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Folks, I'm a 32yo male looking for work in stores/ warehousing in any industry. I have little formal training but my last serious job was in procurement and sales admin for a windows/ glazing company. I worked in the store room of a hospital not too long ago and I'm doing a couple of days a week in the glazing business at the moment but I need to find something more permanent now.

Any ideas or tips appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

My friend is in woodies and they aren't taking anyone on. Business has apparently hit a bit of downfall in there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

Can anybody guess who this is?

It's an office admin position.

Our client is a market leader, having grown from success to success since it first formed in the 1990's. This organisation prides itself on its commitment to its employees and to their professional development.

These roles will be based in the organisation's stunning new offices in Mahon, close to transports links and with on-site parking.

Advertisement