Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caught in possession of ecstasy,help please!1

• 21-10-2013 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4 craftymac

Hey everyone.

I was caught in possession of 2 pills at a music festival in the summer and received a summons to appear in court over it, was wondering what kind of punishment I could expect, this would be my first offence!!

Also wondering if I would need a solicitor or would I be ok by myself?

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

craftymac wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

I was caught in possession of 2 pills at a music festival in the summer and received a summons to appear in court over it, was wondering what kind of punishment I could expect, this would be my first offence!!
    Also wondering if I would need a solicitor or would I be ok by myself?

thanks
    Better of with a solicitor, if no previous convictions probably a 500 donation to charity that you will need to bring with you on the day. Solicitor will plead up case and say he will make a donation to charity and he was foolish blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

@OP I think you can safely ignore Mr S.
    Your only hope of avoiding a conviction is to get a solicitor. You will almost certainly be given a fine and a conviction without one.
    Were they any use :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Ok your first time then a slap on the wrist . If its your second or third then a heavy fine . If it was a rookie cop trying to make a name for himself then be prepared . If the pills were found on you then go guilty if they were found on the ground then go not guilty . I can tell you one thing if your found guilty you can kiss america and Australia good bye my mate was caugh with 2 Es 5 years ago he pled guilty got a 350 euro fine and a conviction and he tried for the states he was turned back and this was his first time ever in trouble . The best you can hope for the cop doesn't turn up so you will get a strike out dont worrie no jail time for you !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 craftymac

the guard was pretty cool,I was buying three and he gave me one back and sent me on my way!!! Yeah they were pretty decent so no complaints there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

the guard was pretty cool,I was buying three and he gave me one back and sent me on my way!!! Yeah they were pretty decent so no complaints there!!

Eh but he still summoned you! Not guilty all the way. Were you interviewed, questioned? Stop thinking the Garda are your friend. They will try nail you as best they can. DO NOT ROLL OVER AND MAKE IT EASY! But the fact you just confessed here makes you guilty! Delete you pleb!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

And make sure your urine is clear for the day of the court, judge may ask.you to do a test to see if your still using.

May be the difference between a conviction and just getting probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

creep wrote: »
    Better of with a solicitor, if no previous convictions probably a 500 donation to charity that you will need to bring with you on the day. Solicitor will plead up case and say he will make a donation to charity and he was foolish blah blah

500 is a lot for two ecstasy tabs. I've heard of people being caught with more and nothing happening. Don't panic!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

First Piece of Advice. Wear a suit. You'd be surprised how many people turn up to court in normal clothes, or even tracksuit.

Hire a solicitor. he'll know what to do, and say. Chances are you'll say very little in court. You'll be asked if you are aware of the charges and how you plead. The Judge may ask you where you obtained them. be Honnest. Tell him the full story.

DONT TELL HIM There's a guy in the place He's got a bittersweet face
    And he goes by the name of Ebeneezer Goode.
    His friends call him Eezer and he is the main geezer
    And he'll vibe about the place Like no other man could
    He's refined, sublime, he makes you feel fine
    Though very much maligned and misunderstood
    But if you know Eezer he's a real crowd pleaser
    He's ever so good, he's Ebeneezer Goode.

Once the Judge knows your story, they will sentence you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

I think your post is bull**hit. When you get caught with yolks by the guards they either take them off you and let you and thats that go OR take them off you and arrest you,Bring you down the station(in your case the guard's area at the festival) and formally charge you and give you a charge sheet there and then, In that case you know your gonna have to appear in court, You dont get a random summons in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

If I was you I'd wear a tracksuit with the pants tucked into your socks. Make sure you act like you don't care what happens. Fellas like that are always getting away Scot free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Ellianna Victorious Armchair

Pogmothone wrote: »
    I think your post is bull**hit. When you get caught with yolks by the guards they either take them off you and let you and thats that go OR take them off you and arrest you,Bring you down the station(in your case the guard's area at the festival) and formally charge you and give you a charge sheet there and then, In that case you know your gonna have to appear in court, You dont get a random summons in the post.

Yea. Ops version of events has the garda guilty of supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

nm wrote: »
    Yea. Ops version of events has the garda is guilty of supply

Yea run with that. See how far you get op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would love to see the reaction if you asked the judge if the case was for the 3 you bought or the one the guard gave you.
    However, I think its better to go with what your solicitor says. Let him scope out the ground to see if you can plead guilty and stay conviction free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Going to court for buying 2 pills at a music festival? Sounds like a load of ****e tbh. If it is true you are the most unlucky person in the country.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Use a solicitor that's near the court you're attending. They'll set you back around 500. And bring another 500, for the solicitor to offer to donate to charity in return for no further punishment.

HighClass wrote: »
    Going to court for buying 2 pills at a music festival? Sounds like a load of ****e tbh. If it is true you are the most unlucky person in the country.

yeah pretty unkucky but undercover,saw me and a mate buy them off the guu caught red handed,talked to other people at the fest and some got busted for weed

beertons wrote: »
    Use a solicitor that's near the court you're attending. They'll set you back around 500. And bring another 500, for the solicitor to offer to donate to charity in return for further punishment.

Would a solictor really cost that much? I am working but dont have that kinda cash,i expect to have to donate to charity, I accepte that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Did this thread start in LD or get moved? If it started in here it's pretty poor form giving the OP advice, none of you have any idea what judge he's going to end up in front of or any idea whether the probation Act will be applied or not.

OP speak to a solicitor ASAP. Legal aid might be available to you, but I would speak to a solicitor regardless. This could have serious ramifications for you; future travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

What's with all this low/no post count accounts starting threads in AH the last few days?

This is the legal discussion forum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    This is the legal discussion forum :confused:

Can I ninja delete my post? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

First thing first get yourself a solicitor and explain every detail to him. He will be doing all he can to avoid a conviction so your not excempt from travelling to the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭madel

Troll me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its absolutely ridiculous that tax payers money is being for charging someone buying 2 E tablets. OP get a solictor and wear a suit(the IT did an articles on selection for jury duty and the what you wore turning up for jury selection influenced the judges decision).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Other than the garda giving back the pill, I don't know why people think its a troll, its common for people to get summons months later. The minor Electric Picnic cases weren't heard until July, some others who were caught on the way to the festival were heard earlier. Not sure what festival it was, but this is what happens after the EP every year - €300 fine for first time offenders, conviction if you've been up before. From the Laois Nationalist:
    THE court poor box was almost €20,000 richer when over 100 people appeared before the district court in Portlaoise last Thursday arising from drug detections at last year’s Electric Picnic music festival in Stradbally, which took place between 31 August and 2 September. Those who came before the court ranged in age from 18 to 60 and came from all backgrounds – unemployed, graduates, tradesmen, nurses, IT technicians, mothers, fathers, students, engineers, musicians and self-employed.

Detective garda sergeant Pat Scully, who was presenting the prosecution evidence, said that most of the 106 people summoned before the court – 12 of whom were women – had no previous criminal records.

At the outset of the hearing, Judge Catherine Staines made it quite clear that, as in previous years, she would give those who had no criminal record a chance and not impose a criminal conviction, but that if any came before her who had been previously warned by the courts, she would impose a conviction.

Of the 106 defendants, 13 had been previously before the courts on drug offences. One of them had appeared before Judge Staines last year following a drug detection at the Electric Picnic in 2011. He had been given a chance by Judge Staines at that time and had escaped without a conviction. However, when he came before the judge last Thursday, she imposed a criminal conviction. The 13 people who were convicted of possessing drugs were each fined €300.

Thirty-one of the cases were adjourned to other dates later this month and to September to allow the defendants time to gather up the €300 that Judge Staines had instructed all those escaping a conviction to donate to the court poor box or to prepare to get their evidence in place to contest the summonses. Six of these cases are due to be contested.

Of the 106 people before the court last Thursday, two were from Laois.

Judge Staines said that the €19,800 that had been donated to the court poor box would be distributed to organisations such as the Merchant Quay Project, the Anne Liffey Project, the Athy Alternative programme and other local charities dealing with people suffering from drug and alcohol addiction and abuse.

Detective Scully provided evidence throughout the day-long court hearing that there were 39 detections for ecstasy tablets over the picnic weekend with an estimated street value of €2,680. There were 45 separate detections of cannabis herb valued at €1,480. He said that ten people were found in possession of cocaine totalling €840, six cases of cannabis resin valued at €160, one person was found in possession of speed at a value of €20, two people in possession of methadone valued at €150 and one person was discovered to have had magic mushrooms in his possession, valued at €15.

Waste of time in a lot of cases imo, especially bringing someone up for €15 worth of mushrooms that you could probably find growing on the grounds of the festival if you looked hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

HighClass wrote: »

Go to any District Court in the Area of a festival, about 6-7 months afterwards the day will be full of these cases. It's usually a choice conviction and fine, or poor box donation and Probation of Offenders Act, or simple strike out. A person I know got caught a few years ago he said there was hundreds of cases on the day all exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are you going to say that in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

7nTnr.png?1309330974

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

7nTnr.png?1309330974

So did you report the guard for dealing. If that's true then it could have been your get out of jail free card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Barcafan11 wrote: »
    So did you report the guard for dealing. If that's true then it could have been your get out of jail free card

This city is an open sewer of vice and corruption. The cartels have soaked the streets with poison. And swimming in all the filth, one thug is the worst of them all. He's a dirty cop. He runs narcotics. He kills anybody who gets in his way. Some think he's untouchable. Some others are planning to take him down.

But me? I could never turn against Vic Mackey.

(Cue smooth jazz as the camera pans over a darkened skyline in the City of Angels)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

500 is a lot for two ecstasy tabs. I've heard of people being caught with more and nothing happening. Don't panic!

Ignore the above advice.

Get solicitor.
    Appear respectful and remorseful.
    Play the "in good employment" "very sorry"
    "hope to travel" "consequences for employment" lines and you might just pull it off with a "no conviction recorded" and contribution to the Court Poor Box

Advertisement