Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knives and Machetes

• 18-10-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been given a tip that Wild Hunter in Athlone has some Gerber machetes and some Leatherman knives and multitools

I am putting together an extensive Bug Out Bag and want to have a Machete, A fixed blade knife, A Folding Knife as backup within the pack and a multitool like a leatherman wave.

These will strictly be used in the mountains, for a few scenarios Im going to put myself in for survival, just something to fill the weekends up with, they will be concealed in the bag until I am out in the bush and will not be carried otherwise

Can I just walk into the shop and buy these items? Or is there some sort of licence I need? I have never bought a blade before and am unclear of how to go about it

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yes you can buy them no problem and use them as you described!

When i go humting i always have at least 2 knives with me, one on my belt and one in my bag. If im going to certain areas i also have a machete hanging off my belt!!

Rule of themb with knives is , if your not acting the mick no one will hassle you. I alway have a knife with me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Check this thread for knife laws in Ireland http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056868166

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Check this thread for knife laws in Ireland http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056868166

Yeah I was having a look through that, I just couldnt take from it if you could just walk in and buy a machete and a knife without some sort of permit or so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

aaakev wrote: »
    Yes you can buy them no problem and use them as you described!

When i go humting i always have at least 2 knives with me, one on my belt and one in my bag. If im going to certain areas i also have a machete hanging off my belt!!

Rule of themb with knives is , if your not acting the mick no one will hassle you. I alway have a knife with me

Thats good to know, I actually would feel like a criminal going in to buy one if I was turned away for not having a licence haha

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been given a tip that Wild Hunter in Athlone has some Gerber machetes and some Leatherman knives and multitools

I am putting together an extensive Bug Out Bag and want to have a Machete, A fixed blade knife, A Folding Knife as backup within the pack and a multitool like a leatherman wave.

These will strictly be used in the mountains, for a few scenarios Im going to put myself in for survival, just something to fill the weekends up with, they will be concealed in the bag until I am out in the bush and will not be carried otherwise

Can I just walk into the shop and buy these items? Or is there some sort of licence I need? I have never bought a blade before and am unclear of how to go about it

Thanks,
    Gary

Machetes are illegal under section 2(q) of Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990 (Offensive Weapons):
    ( q ) the broad knife known as a machete or matchet.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0066.html

• Advertisement

At what blade lenght does a knife become a machete? Is there even a figure put on it??

At what blade lenght does a knife become a machete? Is there even a figure put on it??

We were quoted 12.8 inches, but the DoJ wouldn't put it in a written format. Tip of the blade to the lower most point of the handle.

I must messure mine and see.... I rwckon its more though

Iv seen the gerber machetes in nearly every outdoor ahop iv been in the last year or so....

Iv seen the gerber machetes in nearly every outdoor ahop iv been in the last year or so....

Rather them than us.
    The court fines, possible prison time, bad publicity & big red mark at customs is not worth the risk, but each to their own.

Just don't get caught with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

This one comes in 2 sizes 10" or 18" maybe its the 10" ones on sale
    http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Gerber-Knives/Gator-Machete-/p-92-144-4285/

• Advertisement

Iv seen both on sale in many shops. I eas gonna get the 18" one but thought about it and it was overkill for what i needed. Ended up going with an unbranded SS blade which is nice and thick and heavy too

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

I never new they were illegal

I never new they were illegal

Yeah dont buy one whatever you do! Better off getting a really really big knife ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Hennie Hayes also have some Kershaw ones fitting this description but they are branded camp knives not machetes so that keeps them in the clear!
    I find the 10" nicely balanced but heavy enough to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They are illegal to make, sell, lend to someone etc.. but if you owned it before the act came into effect then it is ok to have on your own property just not in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

There are lots of decent large tools like Parangs, Kukri, Golok, Bill Hook, Cleaver, Seax, Woodsmans Pal which aren't machetes and are fine to own.

Machete are usually thinner stock and fine for grasslands, so something in a heavier blade stock may be more suited to Irish terrain and timber.

If clearing trails for hiking, biking, shooting lanes or for general camp duties like processing wood for fire, a handy folding saw can be very useful as well.

I also sometimes carry a Wetterlings or Cold Steel axe which in combination with the saw makes short work of standing dead wood, for a fire in a Kelly Kettle.

Advertisement