Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn "Prince Devitt" Bálor Thread (Raw Spoilers ahoy!)

• 27-09-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I think Prince Devitt in WWE would be ace, one of my top 5 workers today. I love his style, and he is starting to show a lot more personality. I think in time, he would be an excellent WWE fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

rovert wrote: »
    Went spare yesterday as after I posted that interview it was reported in the Wrestling Observer again that WWE are interested Prince Devitt (and Karl Anderson). This time mentioning that the story was being reported in Japan. Whether it is actual fresh interest or the Japanese media repeating what Western media reported last month I don't know.

I hope they don`t only started watching NJPW properly (ie watching shows instead of matches) & I do think that Devitt could get the IWGP Heavyweight title there. If he goes to WWE he`ll probably get the usual destruction then rebuild process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

He'll just turn out to be Evan Bourne V2. I can feel it my bones.

Stay in Japan mate, the grass isn't always greener.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He'll just turn out to be Evan Bourne V2. I can feel it my bones.

Stay in Japan mate, the grass isn't always greener.

He'd hardly screw up and fail Wellness, would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He`s pretty well taken care of physically from NJ as I read on an interview him citing it as a big benefit of wrestling there is being covered medically (my memory is a little hazy on that but seem to remember reading that in one of his PS Interviews) & in great shape. Can`t speak for the man myself but I imagine he`d be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

What I meant was that he probably wouldn't get passed the midcard. I know this is probably blasphemy on this forum but thats how I feel. He doesn't have a unique image like Sheamus and even hes faded a lot over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What I meant was that he probably wouldn't get passed the midcard. .

People said the same about Daniel Bryan as well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rjd2 wrote: »
    People said the same about Daniel Bryan as well.;)

And Colt Cabana, oh wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am just another wrestling fan ... so what the fuck do I know, like the rest of us.

But why should Fergal Devitt leave NJPW?
    He has worked and put his time into the promotion to earn himself a good spot which I am sure that pays well. It's no secret that WWE is where the big money is at, but, and it's a big but - what spot on the card will Fergal have?

Fergal is one of the best workers in the world. But WWE are not gonna sign him to mega money to jump ship. So does it really make sense for him to sign to WWE holding an "unkown card" or does it make more sense holding onto his "Ace Card" in New Japan ... After all they call it the wrestling business and it's about money. Why should Fergal go to the unknown, perhaps get mis-used or even jobbed out ... to then what? ... return to NJPW? where his spot and built up yen-tag are long gone?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Opportunity and money, really. There's never been a better time for a smaller, immensely talented wrestler to be one of the biggest wrestlers all over the world, not just in Japan and their pool of fans. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are mainstays in WWE/worldwide and make much more than himself. Maybe he'll get "Tensai'd" and be propping up house shows and Superstars after a few months, maybe not.

I agree Devitt's never been bigger or hotter in NJPW, and I don't think he should leave - not before cementing himself as a main-eventer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

This was on my twitter feed this morning.

6CbYxm.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pretty interesting response from Fergal as in he gave any response at all as traditionally he keeps his cards close to his chest. As I said above I don't there is any fresh interest in him. I think reports are simply echos of other reports a month earlier. He is under New Japan contract for how long I don't know

Triple H asked NXT Creative's Rob Naylor a year and a good bit ago for list of potential signees from the Indies so to speak. Rob submitted a list of 20-25 names the results can be seen in WWE's raid on the independents. Anyone who signed went willingly by all reports however Rob said he and William Regal begged him to come to NXT strongly multiple times and Fergal each time politely said no.

WWE is some people's dreams and for other's it is not:

That's a legitimate story and wasn't for public consumption. Kevin Steen one of his closest friends spoke about it too here at 15:20 mark:

However there's people in WWE who would switch places with Fergal in a heartbeat. The New Japan locker room is full of people who had a hard time in WWE and TNA too who made the jump.

From last weekend:

Easy **** match. So fun.

Not to over do it on the WWE discussion. But Devitt is a prominent part of a seriously growing company:

Observer:
    The company announced its new officers after Takaaki Kidani resigned as Chairman of the Board. Naoki Sugabayashi, the longtime company president, is now the Chairman. Kaname Tezuka, an executive from Bushiroad, is the new company president. Kaoru Migumo and Michiaki Nishizawa are Directors and Jyunjy Iwasaki is the financial officer. It’s notable that not one former wrestler is in senior management and Sugabayashi is the only one with years of experience in wrestling. Nishizawa was a translator for the company. Tezuka, like Kidani, are trying to expand the brand overseas, which is going to be very difficult because Japanese culture doesn’t export well. The two markets they are looking at is the U.S., where they have no chance, and Singapore, where they already have their TV broadcast in English. They are also looking at getting into Europe and Southeast Asia. He said their goal is to increase revenue to $100 million annually, and to run shows not only at the Tokyo Dome, but at every major Dome in Japan in 2015. For the first three quarters of the year, New Japan’s profits are up 500% from 2012.

I asked the lads:
    2elw6f7.png

Worth noting he is wrestling in Bray tonight:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86741927&postcount=1116

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well 500% profit increase may sound good but if that's going from 1 EUR to 5 EUR profit it's still a poor profit :) With out having some relevant numbers to put next to is (such as net profit, total spend etc.) it's really a meaningless fluff number.

Nody wrote: »
    Well 500% profit increase may sound good but if that's going from 1 EUR to 5 EUR profit it's still a poor profit :) With out having some relevant numbers to put next to is (such as net profit, total spend etc.) it's really a meaningless fluff number.

New Japan went from about 2001 to 2008 without turning a profit due the Japanese economy and booking and talents decisions that genuinely nearly destroyed the company. $4-5 million was the likely profit range in 2012. The addition of iPPV is what is driving the increase. There is no tradition of Pay Per View in America and cable penetration is rather low in the country (meaning people only have the basic channels). So there was an unknown level of demand for Wrestling iPPVs which turned out to be large.

There's also the social factor which I am not entirely sure exists in October 2013 of people not wanting to be seen out in enjoying themselves or on TV doing it while other people were suffering due to the Fukushima nuclear disaster. I guess it is kind of like when it was kind of vulgar to be seen having a new car reg in Ireland a few years ago when the economy was its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Seen him in Belfast last night, he wrestled 3 matches, he looks the business! Him and Duncan Disorderly put on a good match in the main event!

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Seen him in Belfast last night, he wrestled 3 matches, he looks the business! Him and Duncan Disorderly put on a good match in the main event!

Duncan's really good. Looks the part, can talk and wrestle.

You forgot to mention this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Don't know how I managed to forget about that, it was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

was there as well, Devitt was excellent in every match he had

An short-ish interview with Prince Devitt for a Northern Irish community radio Wrestling show:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/outsidetheropes1/outside_the_ropes_special_part_2

32 minute mark.

Amusingly he said he woke up one morning with text messages from people he grew up with (non-fan types) saying they heard Triple H was around his gaff recently. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Going to London to see Devitt vs Ricochet this weekend looking forward to it!,Card also includes Tanahashi,Elgin,Davey Richards,Cabana and good British talent like Doug Williams,Scurll and Sabre Jr. and a Bret Hart appearance should be a great show

Mike Johnson reported today WWE and Devitt ARE in discussions.

Mike acknowledged the joke Tweets from the weekend the report isn't based off them rather something he was actually told my source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

It'd be wonderful to see an Irish person with the wwe on the world stage (one who's not an overgrown leprechaun ). I'd be afraid that he'd be f###ed around with beyond recognition!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hope he doesnt go. He is in a very strong position in NJPW whereas WWE will fcuk him in development for who knows how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

It'd be wonderful to see an Irish person with the wwe on the world stage (one who's not an overgrown leprechaun ). I'd be afraid that he'd be f###ed around with beyond recognition!

Agree with point of great to see Irish talent doing well. Harsh having a go at Sheamus like that, he's done very well for himself. I know people have a go at him for whatever, but I enjoy his work in the ring, anyway. As far as Prince Devitt, you got to weigh up the options, he will be in NXT learning the WWE style for a while. Plus he will give up a lot of control creatively and what he can do in the in the ring. Whatever decision he makes I hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JumpingNothing

I really hope he doesn't go, but for utterly selfish reasons.

Part of me really wishes Bryan Danielson was still in the indies, for example. He'd be having much better matches far more consistently. At the same time, I can't begrudge him for going somewhere that pays actual real life money.

If I were Devitt I'd take the financial security of the WWE and make no apologies for it, but I have no doubt he would be largely wasted there and saddled with a lot of demeaning crap in between few superlative moments like Bryan has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I didn't mean to have a go at Sheamo. What I mean is he's the perfect stereotype and really isn't a good representation of Ireland. It'd be much better to have Fergal in that spot but he'd never be ideal in Vince's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

How would you guys theoretically see Davitt in the WWE.

Who is he comparable to? Would he be a Jericho or would he be an RVD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Ah yeah get what you mean, I don't want him dying his hair red or doing something that harps on about him being Irish. My thing is though, would he have to alter his style drastically, I would hate to see him stuck in NXT for too long. I think if it makes sense from a financial standpoint and he was happy he was making a good career choice, then why not go.

Advertisement