Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilcoole & Wicklow County Council House Insulation Plans

• 15-10-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi There,
    I am a Wicklow Co. Co. tenant living in Kilcoole.
    I recently had people call to me saying that the council had selected certain houses in the area for house insulation. Cavity block and Attic work to be done.
    It's apparently quite effective, however, I've received a letter in the post from WCC asking me to grant access to these workers, that I would have to remove all items from the attic!!!! (19 years of family bric-a-brac) and if I weren't available, to leave a key with a neighbour to facilitate the work.

I'm just wondering if anyone in the area has had this work done, it seems you can't use the attic afterwards, because the insulation material is really high and nothing can be placed on it.

I find it all a bit sudden, within 3 weeks, I have to empty my house and allow these works go ahead.

Any advice or knowledge out there please?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that you should encourage them to proceed ASAP.

I insulated my own attic and many other parts of my home as the builders (Durkans Residential :eek:) had only made a half-hearted attempt (don't get me started :)). This has made a huge difference, my home is far warmer and it costs me far less to heat.

Are they going to do this for free?? Lucky you if they are, it cost me a few bob and I did the all work myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Hi There,
    I am a Wicklow Co. Co. tenant living in Kilcoole.
    I recently had people call to me saying that the council had selected certain houses in the area for house insulation. Cavity block and Attic work to be done.
    It's apparently quite effective, however, I've received a letter in the post from WCC asking me to grant access to these workers, that I would have to remove all items from the attic!!!! (19 years of family bric-a-brac) and if I weren't available, to leave a key with a neighbour to facilitate the work.

I'm just wondering if anyone in the area has had this work done, it seems you can't use the attic afterwards, because the insulation material is really high and nothing can be placed on it.

I find it all a bit sudden, within 3 weeks, I have to empty my house and allow these works go ahead.

Any advice or knowledge out there please?
    Thanks.

Sounds like a good time for a clear out or car boot. i dont see why you cant put things on top of the insulation after its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It's been done for free! You get to have a warmer house & less heating cost.

Yes, it is an inconvenience but I did mention that it's been done for free and only benefits you in the long run.

Bit of a no brainer if you ask me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jimjay wrote: »
    i dont see why you cant put things on top of the insulation after its done.

This would compress the insulation making it far less effective. Not a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

Did you use that foam stuff that they'll be using, it raises up considerably I've heard.
    However, sounds like great advice from all, many thanks.
    Just dreading the clearout!..charity shop here I come. :)
    And what about all the electrical wiring & heating pipes that will be covered over.
    Will they be forever inaccessible?
    Sorry for all the questions, just a bit of a novice in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

And what about all the electrical wiring & heating pipes that will be covered over.
    Will they be forever inaccessible?
    They'll be underneath the glass fibre which can be rolled back if someone really needs to get at them.
    It might be cheaper to rent out storage units somewhere for all your junk, than to continue wasting fuel just to have that storage space available in a badly insulated attic.

I'm amazed at what I've gathered, since I haven't used it in the last 6 months, you're absolutely right..don't need it. I Am grateful for the installation and thanks for all the questions answered. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daithi123

how do you find the insulation that was done on your house now, is if more effective, how long did it take for the work to be carried out

daithi123 wrote: »
    how doicon7.png you find the insulation that was done on your house now, is if more effective, how long did it take for the work to be carried out

I find it's fantastic, house is so much warmer. Only need turn on heating for an hour and it stays warm for 4 hrs. Apparently, it went from rating 4.6 to 3.5
    The work took about 7 days, there were 3 different crews who were all very professional. Delighted. Thanks

I find it's fantastic, house is so much warmer. Only need turn on heating for an hour and it stays warm for 4 hrs. Apparently, it went from rating 4.6 to 3.5
    The work took about 7 days, there were 3 different crews who were all very professional. Delighted. Thanks

I thought you would like it alright :)

It has made a massive difference to my home also.

• Advertisement

That's great!, especially when we've such bad weather. Something special about a nice little home that's dry and warm. :) Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 daithi123

was it BAKER & CO. INSULATIONS that carried out the work

Advertisement