Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity Auction in aid of le petit braquet Fund: Lime Green Boards Jersey XL

• 10-10-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, so basically this is an auction for my own personal Boards jersey, it's from the new batch we ordered with the Lime Green colour scheme, size XL. Brand new, still in the packaging. There's a few lads who wanted one, and anyone who got their hands on one will tell you they're amazing.

672BEE74-270D-4B0A-9B62-A41DFA35135B-4642-000008773AF7F1B1_zps864d8ca5.jpg

The way this will work is either a) you can post a bid in the thread itself or b) you can PM me your bid, and it will stay 100% anonymous, only I will know who submitted the bid and I won't tell anyone.

So I figured I'd stick in a little spéal as to inform you of my background with cancer.

The first time I encountered it was at the ripe age of 11. Of course I wasn't aware of what it exactly meant, but I was just told my grandfather was ill. He had postponed a routine operation, because he was old fashioned and hated going to the doctors, and basically he ended up becoming very unwell, and when he finally went to the hospital, he was diagnosed with lung cancer.
    I've heard many words used to describe my granda, and the one that always comes up the most is "legend." And to be honest, I couldn't think of a greater sentiment. Father of 9 children, the most hard working man you could possibly ever meet in your life. Worked in the dairies for 55 years, and even when my nanny forced him to retire, he worked as a parking steward up at the Coachmans. Dublin GAA's number one fan too. I'll never forget the day my da told him I'd lined out for Dublin for hurling when I was 14. Being one of 36 grandchildren meant there were plenty of times where you were lucky for anyone to remember your name, but I remember the sheer pride in his eyes.

He fought long and hard for 2 years, originally the doctors had told him he wouldn't last more than 3 months, but he was never going down easily. But I had seen the strong, hard working man that I knew, turn into someone fragile, and constantly tired.

Unfortunately, this was one of the many times I've had to encounter the disease, and I'm sure it's the same for everyone else.

So seeing as it was his 5th anniversary last weekend, and how inspired and touched I was by le petit braquet's story, I'm making a sacrifice of my own, in the hope that somewhere along the line it'll help somebody affected by this disease. Not even to help save them from it, but to just make their time that little bit more comfortable.

All I ask from you is some form of sacrifice, be it financially, or even material by sticking something up in the adverts like many have with the proceeds going to the charity, or even just doing the spin we have organised here. These people and their families have given up so much more than you can imagine.

Here's a link to the charity fund le petit braquet has set up: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/padraig_oconaills_event

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

And we have our first bid of 100 euro.

Another bid has been submitted of €120.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fair play to you _Tyrell_, could I recommend that you put up a end date for the auction, that way there is no confusion. I would recommend either the Wednesday before the cycle so delivery could get sorted or the night before the cycle so it can be given out on the day maybe?

That's a good point.

The deadline will be Midnight of Thursday the 17th, that way people will be able to check the payslips etc to see how much they can spare.

If the winning bidder's going on the spin, I'll bring it with me. If not, I can post it through An Post on the Friday, or I could drop it off in person in Dublin if they'd prefer.

C'mon lads, out with the wallets and make a bid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Can we do anything to make it more prominent? Gets buried on 2nd page very quickly in Adverts section

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Can we do anything to make it more prominent? Gets buried on 2nd page very quickly in Adverts section
    MOD VOICE: Stickied until the 17th

Any other bids lads?

Auction closes on Wednesday, bid bid bid bid bid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Auction closes on Wednesday, bid bid bid bid bid.

Might be no harm to give what the max bid is at the minute, or is it 120?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Might be no harm to give what the max bid is at the minute, or is it 120?

It's 120 at the moment, bidding ends tomorrow so we may as we'll leave it open!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    It's 120 at the moment, bidding ends tomorrow so we may as we'll leave it open!

I sure there will be a few snipes before the end :D

Gonna close the auction at 10pm tonight.

Nearly forgot about this!! Will bid 125 for this, great cause.

If a mod can close this then pleae and thank you, I'll PM yop now.

MOD VOICE: Thread closed, congrats YOP and thanks to _tyrell_ for the generosity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement