Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitoes in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Got eaten alive last year with them here in Leixlip,thought the cold winter would have killed them off but they've been back about 3 weeks or so,just saw a few and got the little blighters and no bites yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dan w

There is at least 20 different species of Mosquitos in Ireland including midges.. We have always had them...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I would like to know about this oil or whatever on top of water barrels. Is this then safe for dog to drink from and parables such as strawberries, tomatoes etc to have their water from?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I never saw a mosquito in my life in Ireland before moving into Temple Bar for the summer. We tend to leave our window open and I killed 1 huge mosquito today and two in a single day a couple of weeks ago.

They were all filled with my blood, and I currently have the bite marks on my face to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Finally caught and annihilated this little bugger! Every night with the lights off when I was using my ipad it would buzz around me and it has been biting everyone in the house! Never taught I would see a mosquito in Dundalk!

kybs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I was never aware of them when I lived in Ireland. Canada on the other hand is ALIVE with the buggers in summer. Myself and the dog were eaten tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I would like to know about this oil or whatever on top of water barrels. Is this then safe for dog to drink from and parables such as strawberries, tomatoes etc to have their water from?

Don't know about oil but I've heard of poeple in other countries keeping goldfish in their rainwater barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There are over 2,500 species of mosquito in the world.
    Approximately 460 of these are of the genus Anopheles. (This is the genus of mosquito that contains the species that are capable of transmitting human malaria.This map, from the Centres for Disease Control in the USA, shows the distribution of various Anopheles species. It clearly shows that at A. barbirostris is found throughout almost all of Ireland. Now, while I don't think this species transmits Malaria, it is indubitably a mosquito, and it can transmit a different disease, lymphatic filariasisNow, your original claim was that there are no "real mosquitos" in Ireland except in Malahide, and that everywhere else they are midges "for sure".Would you care to either rethink or provide a source to back up your claim?
    ps. Even if Talbot did introduce some non-native species of mosquito*; what makes you think that it hasn't either died out or spread all over the country? The likelihood of it both surviving and failing to spread is pretty slim.* And I'm not saying he didn't; I'm arguing that your specific claim was incorrect.

I find this a most interesting thread. But why, so often in boards, can people not quietly and politely impart information without personal attacks and the " I know more than you" insinuation? Has it something to do with an irresistable impulse to prove oneself an alpha human being? One can protest too much. Ffs, this isn't even a politics or a religion thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

feargale wrote: »
    I find this a most interesting thread. But why, so often in boards, can people not quietly and politely impart information without personal attacks and the " I know more than you" insinuation? Has it something to do with an irresistable impulse to prove oneself an alpha human being? One can protest too much. Ffs, this isn't even a politics or a religion thread.

I don't see how that post could have been construed as a personal attack, please don't drag personality into this, stick to facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donagh_1

Hi all.

I know this thread is very old. I thought I would give my experience of the mosquitos in Malahide.

It was either in the summer of 1986 or 1987. There were mosquitoes all over Swords and Donabate.

There was a few articles at the time saying that these mosquitoes came from a "Well in Malahide".

All I know was they were unbelieveably aggressive. And the funny thing about them was they were as deadly during the day as they were at night.

I remember playing football in Fingallians one afternoon and coming home with about 20 bites on my arms and legs.

Personally I never recall ever been bitten by a mosquito since then in North county Dublin. Only midges in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You know they are Mossies when you hear that very high pitched buzzing when you are trying to sleep and there is one in the room. Then you have to spend ages hunting down the little bstard before you can get to sleep. I have had this in Ireland. Not nearly as often as on the continent but the odd time. They are definitely here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mosquitoes are very welcome in Ireland. They bring diversity and enrich our lives with their culture and beliefs. Their cuisine may be a bit different to ours but you have to appreciate their culinary methods. Their traditional sounds vibrate through the night air and will no doubt inspire our next generation U2, Cranberries and Bewitched. Their friendly and affectionate nature and willingness to mingle with us all will improve our society and leave a positive mark for generations to come.

Advertisement