Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Village

• 16-09-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

After threatening to do so for the last couple of years I finally want to get this going and make my Christmas village scene to build under the tree.

However, I'm going to have to do so on a budget and any of the buildings and figurines I seem to find available in Ireland are all expensive (being made by Lemax, Department 56, etc.). So I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could pick up the ornaments at a more reasonable price.

Something like this would be perfect but the associated shipping (~$80) is putting me off. Even if our own euro shops did something similar it'd be ideal but I've never seen them carry more than the usual manger scene and candle ornament buildings.

I don't mind spending more than what the above set would cost, I'm just trying to avoid paying €50/60 a building as I'm thinking big already :D.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could pick some up, be it online or in a shop let me know :).

Christmas_village_original_by_Royfz20.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have nothing to help you but :eek:
    That's the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Oh my goodness, that is amazing! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haha I love the way you speak so matter of factly about it - like that picture would be fairly easy to achieve :-P

I have no ideas but I LOVE that picture!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

leahyl wrote: »
    Haha I love the way you speak so matter of factly about it - like that picture would be fairly easy to achieve :-P

I have no ideas but I LOVE that picture!! :-D

Yeah well I'm not exactly expecting to start of there, as much as I would like to :D

But to even populate a village with 4/5 buildings and a couple of figurines could easily cost ~€200 if you go with the 'brand' name stuff from Lemax which tbh looks increasingly like the only option unless the likes of the €2 shops get stuff in this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yeah well I'm not exactly expecting to start of there, as much as I would like to :D

But to even populate a village with 4/5 buildings and a couple of figurines could easily cost ~€200 if you go with the 'brand' name stuff from Lemax which tbh looks increasingly like the only option unless the likes of the €2 shops get stuff in this year :(

I know ;) - great idea though :) That one in the picture looks like it's in a mansion!

NeVeR wrote: »

Yeah I seen those alright, but those paper structures just never look as good on the box, or at least not for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul_c79

OP - This is class ! Love it. I have been a boards.ie member since 2006 and havent logged on in years so forgot my username so had to create a new one for myself but I've never felt the need to log-in and post over the years but something grabbed my attention with your post and I felt like I needed to offer help in anyway that I can. I Would like to help you to make it happen. I'm from Cork Originally now living in the states (North Carolina), there is a Dollar store on every corner/street almost. If you would like, maybe you can purchase it on-line and either ship to my local address here or maybe I could collect it in store at a local Dollar Store or whatever.

Here's the thing though, I'm coming home for Christmas this year (the tickets have been booked since July..cant wait !!)...so I touch down in Dublin airport on Monday the 23rd...I know it's a tad late to be constructing this brilliant scene at that stage but I don't know where you are based...If you're in the Dublin area, perhaps you could come to the airport to meet us and collect ? I could pack it in the toy suitcase (along with the thousands of other things for my 12 nieces and nephews back in Cork !!)...ha ha. We normally have one big suitcase solely dedicated to the Christmas stuff for the kids...

Failing that, I'll be picking up the rental car after we get in and I'll be making the journey back to Cork so if you happen to be based somewhere along that route, then maybe we could meet you somewhere...I honestly don't mind if it happens to be a little out of my way, but I'd love to be able to make your Christmas by getting to do this for your family...It looks un-believably class ! That would save you having to deal with the ridiculous UPS postage costs...It's up to you anyhow..willing to help if I can and just thought I'd offer...The 23rd might be a bit late for you though and I totally get that...If it was me...I'd want to have it all set up the 1st week of December !!

Cheers anyway and no bother at all if you'd prefer to leave it off,

Paul

paul_c79 wrote: »
    OP - This is class ! Love it. I have been a boards.ie member since 2006 and havent logged on in years so forgot my username so had to create a new one for myself but I've never felt the need to log-in and post over the years but something grabbed my attention with your post and I felt like I needed to offer help in anyway that I can. I Would like to help you to make it happen. I'm from Cork Originally now living in the states (North Carolina), there is a Dollar store on every corner/street almost. If you would like, maybe you can purchase it on-line and either ship to my local address here or maybe I could collect it in store at a local Dollar Store or whatever.

Here's the thing though, I'm coming home for Christmas this year (the tickets have been booked since July..cant wait !!)...so I touch down in Dublin airport on Monday the 23rd...I know it's a tad late to be constructing this brilliant scene at that stage but I don't know where you are based...If you're in the Dublin area, perhaps you could come to the airport to meet us and collect ? I could pack it in the toy suitcase (along with the thousands of other things for my 12 nieces and nephews back in Cork !!)...ha ha. We normally have one big suitcase solely dedicated to the Christmas stuff for the kids...

Failing that, I'll be picking up the rental car after we get in and I'll be making the journey back to Cork so if you happen to be based somewhere along that route, then maybe we could meet you somewhere...I honestly don't mind if it happens to be a little out of my way, but I'd love to be able to make your Christmas by getting to do this for your family...It looks un-believably class ! That would save you having to deal with the ridiculous UPS postage costs...It's up to you anyhow..willing to help if I can and just thought I'd offer...The 23rd might be a bit late for you though and I totally get that...If it was me...I'd want to have it all set up the 1st week of December !!

Cheers anyway and no bother at all if you'd prefer to leave it off,

Paul

Wow that's a very generous offer Paul, you're getting in the Christmas spirit very early :)

But unfortunately I've looked into the shipping costs if I were to get a third party to do it for me and it would be ~$80 as from what I can gather from other sites the package weighs around 14 lbs.

The 23rd would be a little late too but I'll see if I can maybe find anything here or organise some other work around.

Thanks very much for your offer all the same though, it was very kind of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul_c79

Wow that's a very generous offer Paul, you're getting in the Christmas spirit very early :)

But unfortunately I've looked into the shipping costs if I were to get a third party to do it for me and it would be ~$80 as from what I can gather from other sites the package weighs around 14 lbs.

The 23rd would be a little late too but I'll see if I can maybe find anything here or organise some other work around.

Thanks very much for your offer all the same though, it was very kind of you :)

No trouble at all. I think Walmart here are doing the Lexmax ones aswell for cheap. Might be something to look into. Not sure what their shipping costs run at but they prob have a much wider distribution and logistics network than the Dollar Tree.

I didn't realise the box weighed 14 lbs on it's own. With the misses packing everything plus the kitchen sink for a 2 week trip, it's probably for the best.

All the best to you and hope it works out and that you find a work around and get to enjoy it.

Cheers,

Paul

• Advertisement

paul_c79 wrote: »
    No trouble at all. I think Walmart here are doing the Lexmax ones aswell for cheap. Might be something to look into. Not sure what their shipping costs run at but they prob have a much wider distribution and logistics network than the Dollar Tree.

I didn't realise the box weighed 14 lbs on it's own. With the misses packing everything plus the kitchen sink for a 2 week trip, it's probably for the best.

All the best to you and hope it works out and that you find a work around and get to enjoy it.

Cheers,

Paul

Yeah, that's what I could figure out from someone re-selling the set on Amazon at least.

I'll keep the search going!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That looks amazing:)
    I will keep an eye out for you but I find you get the best deals straight after christmas.
    Maybe you could pick up a cheap kids train set and then add the christmassy bits,I reckon e-bay is a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

You need to start stalking Woodies in December and waiting for the 50% off sale to start, afaik they do it every year just before christmas and all the christmas village stuff is half price, but it flies out quick so you need to get there on the day and with a big trolley.
    Ive started buying one piece every year, so hopefully before i die i might get a small village built!

Good luck.

This is what they had last year, not sure if its the kind of stuff you are looking for, some are big enough.

http://pagesonline.ie/issue/2012/woodies_winter2012/index.html#/44/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cherrycola wrote: »
    This is what they had last year, not sure if its the kind of stuff you are looking for, some are big enough.

http://pagesonline.ie/issue/2012/woodies_winter2012/index.html#/44/

I want ALL of those Christmas decorations!! Woddies have some fab stuff! I will def be going to woodies this year to buy some stuff to decorate the house with :)

Anyone got any idea when Woodies usually start stocking Xmas stuff?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone got any idea when Woodies usually start stocking Xmas stuff?

It will probably be after Halloween I'd say.

Just had a quick search through the forum and last year they started putting Christmas stuff out in early October it seems, so any day now then!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just had a quick search through the forum and last year they started putting Christmas stuff out in early October it seems, so any day now then!

Woodies watch is on! ;)

I've a big house to decorate this year compared to the small apartment from last year, I'm very eager to grab some stuff at 50% off, assuming Woodies still do that offer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Just saw this on amazon - they will be in stock in November. Good price IMO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pre-Lit-Village-Christmas-Decoration-Illuminated/dp/B005MX4JSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380822368&sr=8-2&keywords=christmas+village

edit: I see they have different types, so you could invest in a few and it would really look lovely. Am tempted myself..

Would anyone who is in and out of Woodies in the near future be so kind as to up date if they have their Xmas stock and any potential village items in yet :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pre-Lit-Village-Christmas-Decoration-Illuminated/dp/B005MX4JSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380822368&sr=8-2&keywords=christmas+village

edit: I see they have different types, so you could invest in a few and it would really look lovely. Am tempted myself..

it is so pretty:)
    I got some nice stuff after christmas last year and hopefully my sitting room will be done up in time yo make it super pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJudy

I would love a village like that!

Looks amazing! It's time to sit down and make a plan for which ones off any to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ann Grey53

oh my god that is fantastic, best of luck with it hope it works out for you and your family.

Woodies Christmas stock is in store!!!! Loads of Christmas village pieces, around €20-€40 price range.

Woodies Christmas stock is in store!!!! Loads of Christmas village pieces, around €20-€40 price range.

Carpool to Woodies! Boards takeover :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJudy

Woodies here I come!

• Advertisement

This seems like great value - http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-3A6BA237-29382F5F/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=635
    Heatons also have little houses for a christmas village.

Advertisement