Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fargo [FX/Channel 4] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

actually i'm surprised it wasnt already done. the idea of a female cop with that dowdy weird character in the badlands lends itself so much to tv. kinda my name is earl with darker humour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Fargo was such an absolutely ingenius and brilliant film and I don't think there is any need to re-visit that territory. The film was also made 16 years ago, so I think the main players in the film will have aged too much as well (plus, add to the fact the film was allegedly based in the late-1980's, so this adds more skewing to the aging and so on).

If done properly, it could be a classic, quirky black comedy. Done arseways, and it could be an absolute car-crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Oh yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lillyhammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Oh yeah ?

Yah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

mike65 wrote: »
    Lillyhammer.

Lillyhammer is amusing for about 4 or 5 (max) episodes then its utterly forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

DazMarz wrote: »
    Fargo was such an absolutely ingenius and brilliant film and I don't think there is any need to re-visit that territory. The film was also made 16 years ago, so I think the main players in the film will have aged too much as well (plus, add to the fact the film was allegedly based in the late-1980's, so this adds more skewing to the aging and so on).

If done properly, it could be a classic, quirky black comedy. Done arseways, and it could be an absolute car-crash.

Your right, the opposite of what happened to Twin Peaks tv show could well happen (great tv - crap cinema).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm pretty sure there was talk of this years ago as well but it never went anywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saw this over on BBC News:
    The Coen Brothers are turning their Oscar-winning movie Fargo into a TV series, with long-term collaborator Billy Bob Thornton in the lead role.

The 1996 film starred Frances McDormand as a determined, pregnant police chief on the trail of two bumbling criminals.

She won an Oscar for the role, while Joel and Ethan Coen took home the best original screenplay award.

The 10-part TV series, for US channel FX, will involve brand new characters and a new scenario.

Thornton, 57, will play Lorne Malvo, described as a "a rootless, manipulative man who meets a small town insurance salesman and sets him on a path of destruction."

The actor previously starred in the Coen Brothers' films The Man Who Wasn't There and Intolerable Cruelty. His other screen credits include Bad Santa and Monster's Ball.

FX network boss John Landgraf said that, although there was no cross-over with the original, the Fargo TV show would be "remarkably true to the film".

Joel and Ethan Coen's films include O Brother, Where Art Thou? and True Grit
    Filming will take place in Canada, and the drama is expected to be shown in the US next spring.

The Coen Brothers are executive producers, marking their first venture into television after a film career that his produced cult classics such as The Big Lebowski and box office hits like No Country For Old Men.

Could be interesting. FX have a number of good shows and the cable medium is always better for this sort of project. Plus Billy Bob Thornton is a good casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,916 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://tvline.com/2013/10/02/fargo-cast-colin-hanks-fx/

Colin Hanks has boarded FX’s new limited series Fargo
    Inspired by Joel and Ethan Cohen’s 1996 cult-hit film of the same name, the Noah Hawley-penned project will feature a new true crime story, as well as new characters.
    Hanks — who joins the previously cast Martin Freeman (Sherlock) and Billy Bob Thornton (Bad Santa) — will play a lawman who is forced to choose between his personal safety and his legal duties when he encounters a killer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Sounds fantastic, Fargo was a great movie and this could be TV gold.

*reads post no.2 and discovers Colin Hanks is in it*

Facapalm. Anyone who followed Dexter will probably relate. He's truly awful.

"Fargo," the 10-episode FX limited series based on the Coen brothers' 1996 movie, will premiere on Tuesday, April 15th at 10pm.

The series, which Joel and Ethan Coen will executive produce, will not revisit the plot of the film -- instead it will tell a new "true crime" tale involving a new set of characters but keeping to the same humor and Minnesota culture of the feature. Billy Bob Thornton stars in the series as Lorne Malvo, a rootless man who meets and changes the life of small town insurance salesman Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman).

Colin Hanks plays Duluth Police Deputy Gus Grimly, a single dad who must choose between his own personal safety and his duty as a policeman when he comes face-to-face with a killer. Allison Tolman is Molly Solverson, an ambitious Bemidji deputy. And Bob Odenkirk (as Deputy Bill Oswalt), Oliver Platt (as Stavros Milos), Kate Walsh (as Gina Hess), Glenn Howerton (as Don Chumph), Joey King (as Greta Grimly), Peter Breitmayer (as Lieutenant Schmidt), Tom Musgrave (as Bo Munk), Josh Close (as Chazz Nygaard), Russell Harvard (as Mr. Wrench) and Adam Goldberg (as Mr. Numbers) make up the rest of the cast.

"Fargo" is written by Noah Hawley ("The Unusuals"), with Adam Bernstein directing the first episode. The series will tell a complete story in its 10-episode run, and if it's renewed for another season, will tell a new story, anthology-style.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/television/fx-sets-a-date-for-fargo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

if it has none of the same characters and a different story then its not Fargo really is it? are they just calling it Fargo for publicity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Tsipras wrote: »
    are they just calling it Fargo for publicity??
    I hope you're not saying what I think you're saying? You think TV executives are that cynical :pac:? Name/brand recognition is enough for films and TV shows to be greenlit these days unfortunately.

But the level of talent is enough for me to be interested, just hope it doesn't turn into a parody of the film. It's one of my favourite ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I expect that it will also include a lot more "local colour" - straight out of Lake Wobegon. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Channel 4 has bought the UK rights to the TV adaptation of Fargo, which will begin on US cable channel FX in April, is expected to air on Channel 4 shortly after

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first trailer's out; not sure what to make of it tbh, and hearing Martin Freeman speak with something other than his clipped English accent seems weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A link to 3 more new trailers as well as all others released.

Rottentomatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That looks yeah, real good now.

Well I'm gonna watch it, you betcha.

• Advertisement

Fargo will start on Channel 4 on Sunday April 20th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Fargo will start on Channel 4 on Sunday April 20th at 9pm

Cant wait for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

First episode was out tonight and its good. Billy Bob's "There be dragons speech was a highlight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Definitely worth watching.
    Although I think I've figured out that Lester is Malvo. Two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fargo threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As per my policy with new shows I will wait until the first season is finished and watch it then, hopefully the whole lot if I like it. Very exited for this, great cast and a great premise. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

This is very promising. A great opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What a great first episode, certainly lived up to the hype, really gonna enjoy these 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

It was brilliant. They have captured the sense of the movie perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Loved it.

Great acting all round. It was kind of weird at first seeing Martin Freeman act with an american accent, especially since he always has all the same mannerisms in his roles but once it sunk in he was great.

Really captured the dark humour of the film, some bits were just bloody hilarious and shocking at the same time.

Can't wait for the next ep. (Dennis Reynolds! :pac:)

Advertisement