Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making 999 call to Ambulance service

• 24-09-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭

Okay - I know it seems like im having a massive simple moment :(.

However given various reported issues with the new Ambulance Control in Dublin sending ambulances to the wrong address etc - when dealing with calls in places like Cork.

What can I or anyone else that makes a 999 call for an Ambulance and who end up dealing with the new Ambulance Control do - to overcome any issues with controllers not knowing where certain areas are - and increase the chances of the Ambulance arriving promptly at the right address/location.

Didn't really think that much about until hearing on the local radio station about someone - apparently - having to spend 16 minutes on the phone trying to explain where the Blackrock road in Cork City was.

Or am I fretting over nothing

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

One the address is clear"eg.123 main st, cork Ambulance Control should get a hit on the map If the address is vague or confusion with accents or pronunciation control may look for further information

Old diesel wrote: »

However given various reported issues with the new Ambulance Control in Dublin sending ambulances to the wrong address etc - when dealing with calls in places like Cork.

What can I or anyone else that makes a 999 call for an Ambulance and who end up dealing with the new Ambulance Control do - to overcome any issues with controllers not knowing where certain areas are - and increase the chances of the Ambulance arriving promptly at the right address/location.

Didn't really think that much about until hearing on the local radio station about someone - apparently - having to spend 16 minutes on the phone trying to explain where the Blackrock road in Cork City was.

Thanks a million

Just give the full clear address, as said, if it's beside a landmark etc. It might not be a problem for the controllers but you could have a crew coming from another county to take the call at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

This seems like an ideal situation for Loc8 Codes ..... but only if ambu control use them.
    When (if?) the new post codes come in, that is sure to help. As long as you know your post code ;-) I have our house Loc8-code written in large marker and placed on the house notice-board (ie fridge) in case the kids need to call an ambulance for me!

All my experience with this is 2nd hand, so please dont think I am an authority, but it seems that being calm when you make the call is most important. Heard story about a lady giving her mothers address - her address as a kid - when she wanted fire brigade to come to her burning house.

What would the village elders here think about using local names v post-office assigned addresses? I know I give my house address as one thing, and the post office / eircom / esb all have slightly different versions of the same addy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Blackrock road in Cork City was.

Ok firstly make sure you or whoever is making the call speaks in a clear distinct voice. Mention a local landmark or something relevant to your area and your area only ie a statue a famous landmark etc. for example "enter town A from town B side turn left at the Hotel and its the third yellow bungalow on the right with a blue car parked at the front of the house" is much clearer than house is on "blackrock rd"

secondly try and give info that's as accurate as possible (to the person that answers 999) so that the crew that comes to the scene get as much info as possible thus allowing them to prepare for whats going to great them when they arrive for example in the event of you having to ring in a road traffic accident how many people, are any trapped, are any not breathing etc.

Giving the relevant info will allow the crew to know what equipment to bring straight away instead of having to assess the patient and then decide that something is needed.

I personally have not had to ring 999 yet but I know of a few people that have. I am lucky where I live as mostly the ambulances arrive very promptly to my location when required. I also know of others that are not as lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

The computer system has literally tens of thousands of addresses in it.

I've seen it in use and if you can even give it a partial address they can suggest ones to you and figure it out depending on local landmarks, closeby towns etc etc. They have many ways of finding your location other than you actually giving them your address.

If your address doesn't correspond to an actual property (as is the case in the country) then they may ask you to park a car outside with the hazard lights on and put on any outside lights etc.

The most important thing for the caller is to remain calm if they can't think of the address. I don't work in that line of work, but I'm sure it happens every day.

The fire service have actually marked on their mapping system every location where there has been a fatal RTC so as to aggregate the locations where RTCs are likely to happen so that they can make an educated guess given partial information on the location of a collision.

• Advertisement

palmtrees wrote: »
    The computer system has literally tens of thousands of addresses in it.

I've seen it in use and if you can even give it a partial address they can suggest ones to you and figure it out depending on local landmarks, closeby towns etc etc. They have many ways of finding your location other than you actually giving them your address.

If your address doesn't correspond to an actual property (as is the case in the country) then they may ask you to park a car outside with the hazard lights on and put on any outside lights etc.

The most important thing for the caller is to remain calm if they can't think of the address. I don't work in that line of work, but I'm sure it happens every day.
    /QUOTE]

My post above refers to directing an ambulance crew that would not be familiar with the area they are going to. I am not sure of what sat nav or other similar technology is on a modern ambulance or in the control room. yes park a car outside (colours may be difficult at night) put on hazards etc is fantastic to assist a crew that does not know the area. For example in my town you have two estates that sound very similar on the phone. mentioning a local landmark helps to stop the 2 getting mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Question: If your Smartphone gives you GPS co ordinates, are Ambulance controllers trained to understand them and possibly locate you? Let's say my phone gives me 53.335139, -6.228333 Can you find me?

flazio wrote: »
    Question: If your Smartphone gives you GPS co ordinates, are Ambulance controllers trained to understand them and possibly locate you? Let's say my phone gives me 53.335139, -6.228333 Can you find me?

I am not sure what co ordinates ambulance control uses or what is in the ambulances. you could always ask when u ring 999 but have plan b ready just in case ie actually be able to give directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

flazio wrote: »

Not sure about Ambu Control, but I was in Fire Brigade Control recently and asked the exact same question, and the answer is big 'no'. Their computer system doesnt have a facility to use or look-up GPS / lat-long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Depending on who you get in the Gardai, they could use the GPS, but you need to know if you're using Tetra GPS, Google GPS or another one, as the same location can have different co-ordinates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thanks a million

If you had the number of the road ( eg: R185 ) would it be a help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

gctest50 wrote: »

Yes it would but if you can add a landmark then all the better. Some 'R' roads in the country are quite long and landmarks will scale down the area for any responding crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

gctest50 wrote: »
    Not if it's N52. That could be anywhere between Nenagh and Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I know even my house name is on Google maps , and I have all the emergency info written up clearly for any emergency ( when the brain gets melted in the crisis of the moment ) but what I'm wondering about is all this 'new tech' that's not being used for emergencies - is it lack of funds/willpower/training? If you want a taxi the Hailo app will find your location quicksmart, so maybe it's better to call a taxi to show the 'emergency services' where the house is ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

If your that bothered about your rural location move ;-)

When the new postal marks come in im sure there will be no problems . Sure its ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

On a serious note . When you get passed to the initial call taker they ask for your county . Dublin , cork , waterford etc etc

When you get passed to the operational controller / call taker they will ask your location , give clear distinkt location , hazelbrook farm limerick road co tip 20km sw of templemore village tipp .

Then follow the call takers instructions , it is alway good to have a landmark outside or on the approach to the house or location , "iv parked my blue 132 ts passat at the entrance gate with the hazard lights on .

If its on an open road follow the same instructions but if theres a telegraph pole road sign electrical pylon that has a sticker or marking on it call this out to the call taker. These where all mapped and landmarked back in 06 as far as i can remember ,

As you can guess from my dub accent i dont know too much about the layout of the rural setting or locations so they are all made up . But the in fo should help .

Advertisement