Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paleo student in Dublin with not much time to cook

Options
  • 14-09-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I follow a mostly paleo-pescetarian diet (lots of veg, fish, sometimes beef, berries, coconut products and cacao). Over the summer I've been living with my parents so have had plenty of time to take care of my health and prepare my meals and such. Now I'm moving back to Dublin I'm going to be very busy at college all day and wont have much time to cook. As well as that, I'll be on a budget. Can anyone recommend paleo-friendly cafes and eateries in Dublin that wont make me bankrupt? I go to Trinity.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Small budget and no time to cook is going to be an issue.

The ingredients are at your fingertips in the city, but you're going to have to put the hours or minutes in to prep and cooking. If you're insisting on going down the cafe/restaurant route on a budget it's going to be tough. Check out the cheap Asian eateries on Parnell st. and see if you can work out menus to suit your needs. Alternatively, check out the Asian markets, invest in a wok and a sharp knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Of course you have time to cook. I work 50-60 hours a week, train 6 days a week and have busy weekends. I still manage to prep all my meals. Do 3 big cooks a week. Only takes about an hour each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Learn the art of slopping and mulching:

Basic meat slop: http://www.silverhydra.com/2011/10/meat-slop/

Mulching is similiar, figure out your macros for the day, put it all into one pot, add spices, cook divide into how ever many meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Mulching is similiar, figure out your macros for the day, put it all into one pot, add spices, cook divide into how ever many meals.

similar to crackslaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

Hey I'm a student and eat paleo too although I think I'm more broke than you are because I wouldn't dream of buying my during-the-week food out!

Here's what I eat during the week

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with butter: stick the ring on full blast and keep stirring the eggs until they're scrambled, takes only five minutes.

Lunch - salmon salad: takes about 10 minutes
    tinned salmon
    full fat cream chesee
    red onion
    cucumber
    carrot
    Chop up the veg, mix in the salmon and cream cheese and stick in the fridge for the morning

Dinner
    Roast veg and chicken thigh(s): chop up carrots or parsnips or turnips or sweet potatoes and roast in oven foe 40 minutes at 180 with a chicken thigh

Roasting is very quick because once you've got you ingredients on the tray they cook themselves.

Snack:
    Full fat greek style natural yoghurt
    Almonds

By the way eating this way I can buy my monday-to-friday groceries for €25 per week, if I had more money I would vary my diet more. At the weekend I eat similar to this except I might go out for a carvery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Thanks all. I was cooking and preparing all of last year - like ninjabox, lots of tinned salmon and veg. It's just that it took up a lot of time between cooking and cleaning, and I'd rather not carry a lunch box all the time. Also, it is not convenient for me to come home before 6 which is when I stop eating (intermittent fasting). This year I'll be even more compromised for time. I'm still going to cook and prepare lunch boxes. I was just looking for tips and recommendations that other paleo folk have picked up on living in Dublin. I find KC Peaches good with my student discount. That sort of thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Didnt know there was a name for this "art" :pac:

Got a slow cooker recently and have been making all kinds of stuff like this. Moving to a new place tomorrow with a much bigger kitchen and I plan to do my first 1 month bulk cook in the awesome kitchen. 25 meals in one afternoon, going to make a time lapse video!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

conzy wrote: »
    Didnt know there was a name for this "art" :pac:

Got a slow cooker recently and have been making all kinds of stuff like this. Moving to a new place tomorrow with a much bigger kitchen and I plan to do my first 1 month bulk cook in the awesome kitchen. 25 meals in one afternoon, going to make a time lapse video!

Slow cooker has been the biggest revolution in my kitchen since the whisk ball in the protein shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Slow cooker has been the biggest revolution in my kitchen since the whisk ball in the protein shaker.

pmsl me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Honest to Goodness on Dame Court (moved from georges st arcade) does great salads with homemade dressings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Bunsen on Wexford St. do a paleo burger. Check out their video here: https://vimeo.com/68293290

Advertisement