Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trinity Freshers 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 antel0pe

Anyone get their tutor yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

antel0pe wrote: »
    Anyone get their tutor yet?

Yeah, got mine this morning. I have to email him to arrange an appointment to meet him though, which feels a little awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 hurleyman15

MWick94 wrote: »
    Yeah, got mine this morning. I have to email him to arrange an appointment to meet him though, which feels a little awkward...

Same here, have to email them too, might as well just do it and get it over with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

zinfandel wrote: »
    apparently if you have not completed registration and printed out a pre reg form, ( due to TCD's admin backlog ) you cannot pick up your ID or access anything re timetables etc.
    This could take 2 weeks to rectify....
    Give it til the end of Fresher's week I'd say. Your ID isn't really needed to get into any areas except the libraries & gym which you wouldn't really be using on Fresher's week.
    Also the timetables aren't all up yet so wouldn't worry about that. It's likely your discipline will give you timetables at your course orientation if this problem continues into next week.

So if my Tutor has set aside availability times for me and I don't have to email them, do I just knock into them in their office during the set times to chat with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ew121

So if my Tutor has set aside availability times for me and I don't have to email them, do I just knock into them in their office during the set times to chat with them?
    I was wondering the same thing,I presume that's what we do though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ew121 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing,I presume that's what we do though

It really depends on each tutor really. Generally most members of staff (and tutors in particular) are very friendly and keen to help out. You'll be fine just dropping in at said times.

I would definitely recommend seeing your tutor. Odds are you're going to need them at least once and it's better to already know them when you're getting a problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

do you have to go in every day for freshers ? i only have one optional thing on for tuesday, and id like to be resting my hangover if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

For the most part, freshers is just fun stuff. I recommend going in, but you don't have to.

You can always come in in the afternoon. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

anyone know if we have to attend the Provost’s Talk on freshers week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

bri007 wrote: »
    anyone know if we have to attend the Provost’s Talk on freshers week?
    It's optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Where did everyone find out about the stuff on next week (regarding their course/the library tour etc) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/students/undergraduates/index.php

go to your course and then orientation meeting timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Can anyone recommend a taxi company or something to get me back to my flat after freshers week, I know nothing about Dublin taxis :(

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Can anyone recommend a taxi company or something to get me back to my flat after freshers week, I know nothing about Dublin taxis :(

If you mean after clubs/pubs then there's usually a lot of taxis around nearby. The only times we've ever had to call for a taxi was when we finished really late (like near 5 am) or if we were in some place outside the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin is covered in Taxi. You should have no problem finding them even in the suburbs. I avoid getting ones off the street as its often hard to track the driver if there is an issue. Call 018202020 its like a rank service, but the fare is reduced by 20%. Its handy if are outside the city and wont find a seven seater taxi easy. Hailo is pretty good too. If you download it and use the code dublin you get €5 off your first fare if you pay with card

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

People doing BESS.Do you have to go tomorrow in Trinity or Tuesday?Cause I see that the timetable for meeting the tutor is on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Does anyone know would it be possible to pick up your ID earlier than the day given to you or would they not give it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know would it be possible to pick up your ID earlier than the day given to you or would they not give it to you?

They normally don't allow it unless you have a valid reason (funeral/hospital/cannot by any means possible make it into College). I remember Erasmus students having trouble picking up their cards when I was in JF two years ago, they didn't land in Dublin until after their ID collection time and still had major issues picking up the cards.

For continuing students it's fine to pick up ID cards at any time as pictures have already been taken and registration has been confirmed, but for new students it's a lot more complicated.

bscm wrote: »
    They normally don't allow it unless you have a valid reason (funeral/hospital/cannot by any means possible make it into College). I remember Erasmus students having trouble picking up their cards when I was in JF two years ago, they didn't land in Dublin until after their ID collection time and still had major issues picking up the cards.

For continuing students it's fine to pick up ID cards at any time as pictures have already been taken and registration has been confirmed, but for new students it's a lot more complicated.

I was supposed to pick up my card today but gave it a miss because, well, I came home for the weekend and didn't want to have to sleep on a couch in order to pick up a card. Oops.

I was enrolled in the college before (4 years ago). If my original photo is still in the system I wonder if they can just use that instead of taking another.

• Advertisement

Been trying to make an appointment with my college tutor since last week, everytime I get talking to him, he says hes too busy and/or has to represent students for there appeals! I have been trying to contact him since Monday, I sent him numerous emails trying to arrange an appointment?

Anyone had any experience with this or recommend what to do. Is it important to meet up with your college tutor?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

bri007 wrote: »
    Been trying to make an appointment with my college tutor since last week, everytime I get talking to him, he says hes too busy and/or has to represent students for there appeals! I have been trying to contact him since Monday, I sent him numerous emails trying to arrange an appointment?

Anyone had any experience with this or recommend what to do. Is it important to meet up with your college tutor?

You don't have to meet them straight away, it's only recommended to meet them within the first two weeks of college. I met mine on Monday but it wasn't a very important thing tbh. He just explained his role as a tutor and asked a few questions about me and that was it.

Don't worry if you can't meet them, it isn't really that necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2013 LC student

Does anyone know where the stall for the gamers society is in parliment square? That's the final society I'd like to join but for the life of me I can't find them! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Does anyone know where the stall for the gamers society is in parliment square? That's the final society I'd like to join but for the life of me I can't find them! Thanks! :)

Most stalls rarely stay in the same location. Gamers are neighbours with SciFi this year, look for the large black and red wooden SciFi stand and then Gamers will be attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2013 LC student

bscm wrote: »
    Most stalls rarely stay in the same location. Gamers are neighbours with SciFi this year, look for the large black and red wooden SciFi stand and then Gamers will be attached to it.

Thanks! I've already seen the Sci-Fi stall but didn't realise the gamers were there aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pixie84

While on the topic....I spent way too much on societies and want to cancel membership of a few...possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

probably not, but you could try being awkward and ask

cant see them giving you the money back,how much did you spend on them,most are 2euro

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pixie84

lol I know it sounds stingy but it adds up. Will likely just leave it at that but at same time don't wanna be on any mailing lists or anything so is it best to contact them or are they fairly quiet anyway?

• Advertisement

I signed up to some I know il never use, or go to! Spent 20euro on monday on 2 martial arts clubs, and I cant remember the others!

Advertisement