Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPSS Errors - Hierarchical cluster analysis Ward's method

• 24-08-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Trying to do a Hierarchical cluster analysis using Ward's method to extract media frames from a data set I've created in spss.

I'm having a problem with the syntax file with spss showing me the following errors in the output file.
    >Error # 63 in column 14. Text: C:\DOCUME~1\Ross\LOCALS~1\Temp\spss4256\spssclus.tmp
    >The file does not exist.
    >Execution of this command stops.

ERASE FILE='C:\DOCUME~1\Ross\LOCALS~1\Temp\spss4256\spssclus.tmp'.

>Error # 2302 in column 13. Text: C:\DOCUME~1\Ross\LOCALS~1\Temp\spss4256\spssclus.tmp
    >The specified file does not exist and cannot be erased.
    >Execution of this command stops.

I cannot find anything online that gives me a solution I can understand!

If anyne has any idea how I can fix this I would be eternally grateful!!

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Are you running the procedure through the dialogs or through the syntax? Honestly, I have no idea what that message is - I use clustering quite a bit and I've not seen that (it's been a while since I've used SPSS). Are there missing values in the columns?

I'm sure I sound like broken record saying this, but do you have access to stata, or would you entertain downloading r? The SPSS file is readily interchangeable with a little fiddling (especially easy with stata), and the clustering routines are much simpler in stata also. At a push, you could estimate the number of clusters using this rule of thumb: [sqrt(n/2)], then run a k-means analysis in SPSS, but I assume you want to estimate the grouping structure from the dendrogram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

If you're still stuck, then you can just use the following code in R Programming Language:

plot(hclust(dist(MATRIX, method="euclidean"), method="ward"), labels=MATRIX$labels)

...where MATRIX is a matrix or data-frame of data values

Kevin

Advertisement