Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Work

Options
  • 19-08-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, have been offered Social Work and Trinity.. it wasn't my first choice so not that clued in.. just wondering if anyone could let me know anything about it, if they like the course etc. Thanks:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 moschops

Hi Aoifana, congratulations on your offer! I did the Masters in Social Work in TCD a few years ago going back as a mature student. The course I did was a little different - two years whereas I think degree is 4 years. I would highly recommend the course. It will no doubt be challenging but if you have an interest in working with people then this course will give you great experience. I found the lecturers in TCD very supportive and encouraging. You will have a work experience placement every year which will give you fantastic experience in different areas of social work - for example, child protection social work, probation services, medical social work etc. You can work with children and families, prisioners, people with disabilities, the elderly etc. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ronnieboy1968

Hi. My name is Ron and I will also be starting this degree in September. Hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoifana

Hi Ron, my name's Aoifana.. Looking forward to meeting you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ronnieboy1968

Aoifana wrote: »
    Hi Ron, my name's Aoifana.. Looking forward to meeting you :)
    Hi. Are you excited? I live in Co laois and I am from Dublin. Spent last year on an access programme so I hope I am well prepared. If there is anything I can help you with let me know.masterleech@Gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoifana

Ya I'm really looking forward to it! It's getting very real applying for halls and all that craic.. I'm from Mayo:) Oh very good, you'll be the pro in the class so :P Will do, Thanks a million Ron :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Aoifana wrote: »
    Ya I'm really looking forward to it! It's getting very real applying for halls and all that craic.. I'm from Mayo:) Oh very good, you'll be the pro in the class so :P Will do, Thanks a million Ron :)

Hi, Im seriously considering applying for this course your doing is there any chance I could pm you a few questions about it and how you find it so far ? Im currently studying IT but think im more suited to a humanities course. .

If anyone else doing this course could help me out it be highly appriciated

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

what questions do you have?

its a big jump from IT. maybe pick up a social work book off the internet or get the course handbook off the college to get a broader idea of the course content

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kaz2021

Hi guys, I’m just wondering is there anybody out there that can offer a very worried mature lady some relevant info for preparing for an interview for trinity for social studies. I have it now in less than 2 weeks! I am currently studying a level 5 in applied psychology and social studies, living in hope and dread at the same time! �� thanks in advance ��

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Kaz2021 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I’m just wondering is there anybody out there that can offer a very worried mature lady some relevant info for preparing for an interview for trinity for social studies. I have it now in less than 2 weeks! I am currently studying a level 5 in applied psychology and social studies, living in hope and dread at the same time! �� thanks in advance ��

It's fairly casual. It will depend on who you get for what they will ask and some people are more casual than others. But It's not like an oral exam where they expect you to be an expert in social work theory. You haven't done the course yet.

It's more like a very chill job interview. What you talk about is often based on your CV, education, personal statement, and volunteer and work experience etc. As you're doing a course now they could ask you how that is going. Do you like it or How your managing to juggle all your assignments for example. If you for example volunteer for your local homeless charity they'll probably ask you about that.

What's important is that you show you have an understanding of what a social worker actually does and that it's that job you actually want to do. This doesn't always happen but they may ask you about a topical issue for your opinion on it. For example, a friend of mine did their interview on a day TUSLA was in the news again for some scandal or other and it came up in their interview. They may also ask have you worked with social workers.

If you have more specific questions about the course/TCD I can answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kaz2021

Awhhhh thank you Aoifana for giving me that greatly appreciated feed back! You know for some reason I can’t seem to associate the words casual and trinity together for some reason! That is no doubt my own feeling of inferiority creeping in! Ha
    It’s in over 1 week and between now and then I am just going to have to do my homework about current issues etc, also work out some constructive answers regarding my current course! I read an old forum here regarding the interview from around 9 years ago or so and they asked questions like books you are currently reading and should cannabis be legalised etc, truth is I wish I had the luxury of time to read at the moment, however all I get to read is research for endless assignments and exams! Ha
    Appreciate your help dear, best wishes! ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Triplejsy

I am also a 2021 mature applicant. I had my interview 2 week ago now. I thought it was very relaxed. It’s very hard to say how it went. Wasn’t a great year during the pandemic for work placement or volunteering. Only came to the table with personal experience of disability in the family. I’m not confident but hopeful.

Advertisement