Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Funding - Where the hell should I look!?

• 16-08-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hello dorks,
    I'm just finishing up an MSc in ecology/evolutionary biology and I'm planning on going straight into PhD research.
    I've come to terms with the fact that, as there's extremely limited funding here for this type of biology, I'll be moving over to Britain.
    I've been in touch with a few researchers in Scottish and English universities and they've all said something along the lines of "we'd be delighted to offer you a hD position but, since you're not a UK student, we can offer you a fees only grant".
    The NERC is the main funding body for evolution, ecology, conservation and environmental science in the UK but their funding is restricted to UK students (or anyone as long as you've been living there for 3+ years) but they can cover fees only if you're from the EU.
    So, any boardsies with experience of applying for science funding in the UK?
    Anyone here currently in a UK uni who could point me in the right direction?
    Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Some of the older universities like Oxbridge would have plenty of inhouse studentships, in atleast one case reserved just for Irish people. The Max Planck in Germany is really good for providing studentships for non-nationals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

aidoh wrote: »
    I've come to terms with the fact that, as there's extremely limited funding here for this type of biology, I'll be moving over to Britain.
    What makes you think there's more funding available in the UK? And why restrict yourself to the UK & Ireland?
    aidoh wrote: »
    I've been in touch with a few researchers in Scottish and English universities and they've all said something along the lines of "we'd be delighted to offer you a hD position but, since you're not a UK student, we can offer you a fees only grant".
    In other words, they don't have any funding, so why not start off by targeting places that do:
    http://www.jobs.ac.uk/search/?keywords=ecology&salary_from=&salary_to=&jobtype=02&show=25&x=47&y=14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

findaphd.com Mainly UK but also EU and Ireland. You can filter by funded for EU students.

Deadlines for a lot of UK PhDs run from September-December for a start in September the following year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Be aware that the BBRSC and the MRC in the UK have residency restrictions which requrie you to be resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to starting your PhD. Failure to meet this will result in fees only funding. A few other charities do this as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Cheers for the replies.
    I'm well aware of the residency requirements in the UK, unfortunately. Some projects on findaphd have 'international' funding but the website has been very scant throughout the summer. Hopefully unis will get a boost of funding in September that trickles down to researchers looking for PhD students.

And djpbarry, thanks for the link. I've seen these studentships advertised on other sites but will keep an eye out there.
    I'm not fully 'restricting' myself to the UK but there's feck all funding here unless it's a very applied project and I'll only go further abroad if I have to. Which I just might.

• Advertisement
Advertisement