Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Awful Songs From the Past-80s,90s etc....

• 18-08-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Apologies all round if there is already a thread on this,but the reason I'm starting one is because only a couple of days ago I was in a shop and I heard a song on the radio....I couldn't believe me ears and tis stuck in me head ever since.The song was:

"Wo ho ho ho camouflage,things are never quite the way they seem,
    Wo ho ho ho camouflage.....We all said a prayer for the big marine in camouflage".

I was skittin away to meself while I was listening,and then other songs like "Star trekking accross the universe....theres clingons on the starboard bough..." and "We can dance if we wanna,we can leave our friends behind....." all came into me head.

So,which songs wer yer funniest,cringeworthy,or even novelty songs from the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^^

Well, not those for a start!

You've listed some of my all-time favourites there.

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seasan wrote: »
    The song was:

"Wo ho ho ho camouflage,things are never quite the way they seem,
    Wo ho ho ho camouflage.....We all said a prayer for the big marine in camouflage".

It was Stan Ridgeway's only real hit. And there's nothing funny or cringeworthy about The Safety Dance, it's a classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Great tracks. Preserved forever on

Now 1 (The Safety Dance)
    Now 7 (Camouflage)
    Hits 6 (Star Trekkin')

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

What was the song that went with "Hey Matthew,what do you see........" and in the video there is a child staring at the television?

And does anyone remember:
    "Golden oldies,Rolling Stones.we don't want them back...I'd rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac...."??

What was the song that went with "Hey Matthew,what do you see........" and in the video there is a child staring at the television?

And does anyone remember:
    "Golden oldies,Rolling Stones.we don't want them back...I'd rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac...."??

Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew (Now 10)
    Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack (Telstar Greatest Hits of 1989)

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Karel Fialka - Hey Matthew (Now 10)
    Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack (Telstar Greatest Hits of 1989)

Do you have all of these albums?
    And would you rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac? :-) :-) lol
    I remember an episode of Jo-Maxi when that song was out,and either Geri Lalor or Antoinette Dawson was going around the streets asking people on the streets if they'd "rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac...."

Do you have all of these albums?
    And would you rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac? :-) :-) lol
    I remember an episode of Jo-Maxi when that song was out,and either Geri Lalor or Antoinette Dawson was going around the streets asking people on the streets if they'd "rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac...."

I have the majority of the Nows, Hits series, Smash Hits series, Greatest Hits Of XXXX albums. Very handy for DJing and keeping in touch with pop music. The Nows in particular are great at providing snapshots of varying four month periods of musical taste. They work much better than say a retrospective 1987 compilation released in 2013 as that will only cherrypick stuff.

I'd love to go on the p*ss with the two Reynolds Girls. Their manager was supposed to be very difficult so SAW couldn't handle 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Here are a few I absolutely detested back in the 80's:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Damn cringe-worthy splutter sh!t like this below, nasty music if you can call it that :( my crazy aunty sings it every time she's around for a visit :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Who was that Italian female singer who was a one hit wonder with "Boys boys boys"?She was seriously hot but what a terrible song.And another Italian wan with big hair who was not quite so hot with a song called "Call me".

Sabrina sang "Boys, boys boys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The 'Birdie Song' (and associated silly dance) which was a staple at every Irish wedding up until 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Shaddup your face

http://youtu.be/sFacWGBJ_cs

Zaph wrote: »
    Sabrina sang "Boys, boys boys"
    Ah yes thats right.She was some looker and that song was accompanied by a video that resembled one of Berlusconis Bunga Bunga parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The 'Birdie Song' (and associated silly dance) which was a staple at every Irish wedding up until 15 years ago.

Enough to send me into apoplexy. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Enough to send me into apoplexy. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thank God it died a death, Sweet Caroline is still popular unfortunately.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Always thought it was a freaky song

Who was that Italian female singer who was a one hit wonder with "Boys boys boys"?She was seriously hot but what a terrible song.
    Video was good!, think it was later cut for some shows as her bits were popping out.

• Advertisement

And another Italian wan with big hair who was not quite so hot with a song called "Call me".

Spagna.

Call Me is on Hits 7.

The associated album Dedicated To The Moon isn't bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

rubadub wrote: »
    Always thought it was a freaky song

Video was good!, think it was later cut for some shows as her bits were popping out.
    I'd forgotten that one!Heres one more for Ye.This song which was released to accompany the Film Full Metal Jacket,though it's not in the film to my knowledge.It was just samples of a drill instructer played over a rap type backing beat and it was on one of those "Now" type compilations.My brother put it on the tape player in the car on a long drive once and my father remarked "if that's supposed to be music I'm a black man".

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd forgotten that one!Heres one more for Ye.This song which was released to accompany the Film Full Metal Jacket,though it's not in the film to my knowledge.It was just samples of a drill instructer played over a rap type backing beat and it was on one of those "Now" type compilations.My brother put it on the tape player in the car on a long drive once and my father remarked "if that's supposed to be music I'm a black man".

Abigail Mead and Nigel Goulding - Full Metal Jacket (I Want To Be Your Drill Instructor).

Also on Hits 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Awful Songs From the Past-80s,90s etc...

Texas = 'Inner smile' comes to mind :mad:

As I mentioned earlier Shaddap your face' is cringeworthy. I'm not able to post youtube link here can someone do it for me? :)

Zaph wrote: »

Thanks. What a travesty. Vienna is a classic tune.

The Cheeky Girls??

There was this Latin American type tune which was on the radio quite a bit at some point maybe around 1985/86 or even earlier.The lyrics went something like "Fujae fujae fujae mama,bat bala bonga fujae mama" it was madeningly catchy and I'd totaly forgotten about it until a few months back when I went I was collecting a pizza and it was playing in the takeaway.Ring any bells?

• Advertisement

There was this Latin American type tune which was on the radio quite a bit at some point maybe around 1985/86 or even earlier.The lyrics went something like "Fujae fujae fujae mama,bat bala bonga fujae mama" it was madeningly catchy and I'd totaly forgotten about it until a few months back when I went I was collecting a pizza and it was playing in the takeaway.Ring any bells?

Wanda Jackson - Fujiyama????

Advertisement