Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wexford 2 Day August 17th -18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Aodho wrote: »
    Don't think so fella.. majority who have aired their opinion on the timing issue have also strongly qualified their (reasoanble) complaint w/ both compliments & congratulations to Michael & WW for the otherwise outstanding event they produced.

If you were not in contention I can understand how people feel that this was a well run event and that the timing issues are overhyped. However, anyone with experience of stage racing would expect to see a GC lists before each stage so that they could identify their position together with numbers and times of other leading riders.

We found out on the morning of stage 2 that had two riders in contention in the A2/A3 event. We did not know the time gaps or the numbers of the other leading riders. When asked, the commisaire was unable to provide any GC rider information and accepted that this was not normal. As a result riders rode the final stage blind of who was leading and by how much, and I do wonder if it affected the outcome of the race.

In short the absence of GC information before stage 2 meant it was two seperate days of racing ran blind. It was not stage racing. I would define this as a critical failure and not something that can be dismissed.

Whats done is done and the club can only repair some of the damage by putting out accurate final results. There is no doubting all the positives that people spoke about and that this event has enormous potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

I think Michael and the WW team may have got the message by now about the timing issue...

How about people lay off of it and let them sort things out as best they can and only post here if there is something different to comment on.... like the ironic clapping and cheering or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

boege wrote: »
    If you were not in contention I can understand how people feel that this was a well run event and that the timing issues are overhyped. However, anyone with experience of stage racing would expect to see a GC lists before each stage so that they could identify their position together with numbers and times of other leading riders.

We found out on the morning of stage 2 that had two riders in contention in the A2/A3 event. We did not know the time gaps or the numbers of the other leading riders. When asked, the commisaire was unable to provide any GC rider information and accepted that this was not normal. As a result riders rode the final stage blind of who was leading and by how much, and I do wonder if it affected the outcome of the race.

In short the absence of GC information before stage 2 meant it was two seperate days of racing ran blind. It was not stage racing. I would define this as a critical failure and not something that can be dismissed.

Whats done is done and the club can only repair some of the damage by putting out accurate final results. There is no doubting all the positives that people spoke about and that this event has enormous potential.

We were lucky in A4 that the GC was a virtual facsimile of the TT because the first stage finished in a bunch sprint. The only difference between the two was that the second placed rider was last in GC because he had missed a lap on the first stage and been given a time penalty, which I only found out through talking to the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

smurphy29 wrote: »
    The only difference between the two was that the second placed rider was last in GC because he had missed a lap on the first stage and been given a time penalty, which I only found out through talking to the guy.

Yes, I was talking to him aswell, he actually took it very well, he had a mechanical at the start line on Stage 1 and had to take a lap out. I think I would have packed it in at that stage, .........remember the weather!
    He then did a great TT, and then...........gave it some welly on Stage 3. If there was a prize for most aggressive rider, he would have won it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Yes, I was talking to him aswell, he actually took it very well, he had a mechanical at the start line on Stage 1 and had to take a lap out. I think I would have packed it in at that stage, .........remember the weather!
    He then did a great TT, and then...........gave it some welly on Stage 3. If there was a prize for most aggressive rider, he would have won it easily.

And he got savage abuse in the bunch for racing. I agree he should have been applauded! He was docked half an hour or maybe 40 mins I can't remember which he said so he was out of the GC. Second in the TT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

1176356_10201386075671323_1394861748_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

maloner wrote: »

Is this the TT where some guy saw another guy having a mechanical and so gave him his own bike to finish?
    Quality bit of comeradory #spiritoftheweekend

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Is this the TT where some guy saw another guy having a mechanical and so gave him his own bike to finish?
    Quality bit of comeradory #spiritoftheweekend

Yup.

Loads more on Amy Norah Farrell's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/amynorah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

are the comms enforcing the rule on pro kit being worn in races? Thought it was strictly club or plain kit only -

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

dedocdude wrote: »
    are the comms enforcing the rule on pro kit being worn in races? Thought it was strictly club or plain kit only -

That's me getting pushed and pro team kit was never mentioned to me anyway . I always wear my club gear but that's the only skinsuit I have . Glad to see you didn't miss the point of the picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

looks like ur bursting out if the kit Fondry.....any comment ?

GC is coming together for the A4. few emails now to check where lads thought they were and if they were in a group or not.

Corrections already gone through to CI Grading officer for other category queries.

michael196 wrote: »
    looks like ur bursting out if the kit Fondry.....any comment ?

Yes Michael , was never gonna be my night , the power meter stopped working on the way over , went to the toilet in the pub at sign on and the bloody skinsuit zip wouldn't close again .
    Then with your assistance we got 5 pins in it to save my modesty only for one of them to stab me at the start and finally somehow damaged the chain , I had done 50 minutes on the way over including a couple of minutes hard to warm up and it was perfect , the minute I went off the start line the chain started coming off on the inside of the chain rings . On a recount it came off 6 times , the tt was over for me when Michael gave me his bike to finish but he wasn't to know that and it was a brilliant bit of sportsmanship .

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

I had to wear pro kit team shorts on the second day as my only pair of club shorts were still damp after the previous day and trying to wash them out. Suppose lesson learnt that stage racing necessitates 2 sets of club kit but had never done a stage race before.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Quick word of thanks to Michael, and all Wexford Wheelers for a super weekend of racing. Thought it was one of the safest races I've done all year, very well marshalled, hardly saw any dodgy manoeuvres all weekend! Really nice mix of stages, Sundays route was great, those last few climbs really split things up a bit!

Happy to come away with my first (and last!) A4 points, and an upgrade, looking forward to next year already! :)

maloner wrote: »
    Yup.

Loads more on Amy Norah Farrell's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/amynorah

I'm not seeing any pics, are they hidden or something?

I'm not seeing any pics, are they hidden or something?

https://www.facebook.com/amynorah/photos_all

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Its such a shame about the timing issue, otherwise that was the best event of the year. IMO Charleville is the best race on the calendar, aside from the timing issues Wexford 2 day is right up there.

High quality field made for sublime racing. Thanks Wexford Wheelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Black Umbrella highlights are online now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Its such a shame about the timing issue, otherwise that was the best event of the year. IMO Charleville is the best race on the calendar, aside from the timing issues Wexford 2 day is right up there.

High quality field made for sublime racing. Thanks Wexford Wheelers.

Have you been to the Rás Dhún na nGall? Buzzing through Ardara with half the village out to cheer you on takes some beating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Plastik wrote: »

whoop, made it into the highlights reel! You can see me at far right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEP934kWTTo&feature=player_detailpage#t=449

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Plastik wrote: »

Very cool indeed! Nice one WW! I'm even in there looking very Fredlike in the A4 bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

buffalo wrote: »
    Have you been to the Rás Dhún na nGall? Buzzing through Ardara with half the village out to cheer you on takes some beating!

No, not done Ras Dhun na nGall. I've heard its a great buzz but there lots of hills :D

fondriest wrote: »
    That's me getting pushed and pro team kit was never mentioned to me anyway . I always wear my club gear but that's the only skinsuit I have . Glad to see you didn't miss the point of the picture

I have not heard of anyone being tackled on it from a comm these days yet the rule is in the book and every week you see Astana, US Postal and Team Sky riders in A4 races around the country.

Team Sky riders in A4 races around the country.

Tut tut.............that's a new LOW (even) for them :rolleyes:
    I suppose, he-that-looks-at-stems was there too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Commissaires pulled up some riders in a race in in Bunclody last year (think Michael196 was one of them!!) for having logos (!!!) on their shorts. Said they wouldn't be allowed race unless they taped over them.
    Despite this nit-picking they let a guy race in full F de J kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Platform Web

Saw a guy almost refused a start in Dungarvan last year for that, he was on his way out of the start and I told him to turn his 1984 Renault Elf jersey inside out. He did and raced but the CI Commissaire was adamant!

Anyways, prob need to cut guys slack on a day when we all got soaked on stage 1!

Saw a guy almost refused a start in Dungarvan last year for that, he was on his way out of the start and I told him to turn his 1984 Renault Elf jersey inside out. He did and raced but the CI Commissaire was adamant!

Anyways, prob need to cut guys slack on a day when we all got soaked on stage 1!

If comms were consistent there would be no issue . But most of them have more important things to worry about .

I was at that dungarvan race. Boy was that Commissaire on an ego trip. Such a * [EMAIL="a@~er"]a@~er[/EMAIL].

• Advertisement

LOL! Id say i know who you are talking about - Surprised to hear its being enforced, fair play -

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement