Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killeen Castle

• 20-08-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Thinking of joining here, love the golf course but is €2000 a bit steep do you think? Have never joined a course before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Stacksey wrote: »
    Thinking of joining here, love the golf course but is €2000 a bit steep do you think? Have never joined a course before.

They were doing a deal recently for under 30's for a grand. Personally, I think kileen castle is among the best in the country and if I was within striking distance I would give serious consideration to joining, even at 2k.

Are you only taking up the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Well worth €2k if
    you plan on playing once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Stacksey wrote: »

A very open ended question.

It all depends on your disposable income and how much free time you want to set aside for golf. If you can get out for two rounds a week and are a little flush then splash the cash. Or if you can only get out for a game every second week your better off up the road at Blackbush, which has excellent practice facilities & 27 holes for less than half the money at €960, but the level of course is no where near the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played today and was really impressed with the greens, for this time of year they were superb.

Played with my 79 year old Dad, playing off 20 he had 35 points and finished with 5 pars !!!!!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

It's actually cheap at 2k, it's literally one of the best courses in Ireland.

I wouldn't pay it because I don't have it, but if you are comfortable enough, it's worth it being barely half hour from most spots near the M50.

Most people drive more than that to their clubs in Dublin anyway. It's a long mofo though, in comps the short hitters get murdered I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It's actually cheap at 2k, it's literally one of the best courses in Ireland.

I wouldn't pay it because I don't have it, but if you are comfortable enough, it's worth it being barely half hour from most spots near the M50.

Most people drive more than that to their clubs in Dublin anyway. It's a long mofo though, in comps the short hitters get murdered I'd say.

Class course, facilities and set up but €2k is hardly cheap. Competition entry fees are a hefty €10 plus use of the range requires a year card for an additional €100. For €2k I'd expect to get the range card and competition entry fees included making it much more attractive but still a lot of money when you also include travel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

I think 2 G is a bit steep in todays climate espeacally since there is some great deals out there like the PGA in naas 900e I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

benny79 wrote: »
    I think 2 G is a bit steep in todays climate espeacally since there is some great deals out there like the PGA in naas 900e I think

Where's that?

I think 2k is great value for Killeen Castle. Just because people cannot justify or afford it doesn't mean it's overpriced. Plenty of other options out there for people who don't want to spend 2k but very few that would be comparable with Killeen Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Where's that?

I think 2k is great value for Killeen Castle. Just because people cannot justify or afford it doesn't mean it's overpriced. Plenty of other options out there for people who don't want to spend 2k but very few that would be comparable with Killeen Castle.

Palmerstown House in Johnstown, Naas

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Palmerstown+House+Golf+Club,+Palmerston+House,+Johnstown,+Naas,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.253301,-6.618233&spn=0.091404,0.222988&sll=54.624519,-8.531077&sspn=0.011106,0.027874&oq=palmerstown&hq=Palmerstown+House+Golf+Club,+Palmerston+House,&hnear=Johnstown,+County+Kildare,+Ireland&t=m&z=13&iwloc=A

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Where's that?

Agreed, 2k is more than I'd be willing/can pay at the moment but Kileen Castle, Carton House, Palmerstown at circa 2k are all cheap and excellent value imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Value is totally subjective, there's no right or wrong answer.

IMO golf doesn't just come down to annual sub divided by number of rounds played, if it did I'd say almost everyone would be better off paying green fees. There's a premium to be paid, large or small, for the "club membership" thing - it depends on how you value that. Playing once a week in Killeen in a comp works out at approx. €50 per round - personally I couldn't justify that, but everyone's different. My €1k a year course with €5 comp fees is good enough for me at the moment.

The other thing that comes to mind is that some of the newer, bigger, modern courses are seriously good and seriously tough and I enjoy having a game on them. However I've often wondered with some of them if I'd actually like to play it every weekend. Sometimes the answer for me is "not really".

Op, if you have the cash and like the course, then go for it. If you look around there are plenty of "other" options where there'll be maybe a compromise on cost, course quality, distance, facilities, club scene etc etc. I don't think there's anywhere that ticks EVERY box.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good post Russman.

I love playing all the top courses - going to it and playing in a society is all part of the experience for me. It does seem a strange thing to say - but no matter how good they are - I wouldn't view them as places that I would like to be a member. Even the fact it is bombarded by outsiders , wouldn't suit me. I want the time sheets of my club to be almost empty - float down and play golf when I want. There is also an impracticality to that - because we are obviously seeing clubs like that are not economically viable.

Very close to me is the key issue. I want to play 18 holes in 3.5 hours or less.

I think at different stages of your life, different clubs may suit you. Say you are young and single , there is no obstacle in a way. I remember as a young lad driving to Wicklow for the laugh, just to play a course. I did the tee times thing for a while - great to play all the courses - but hard work , you go out - stuck behind 8, 4 balls, you don't know what is on - you take a tee time online - get down and the club pro even can be in shock he has to fit you in. The Tuesday 4 ball champagne waltz is on, what are you doing here :rolleyes:.

Then when you are older you may have time to spend 5 or 6 hours at a club. But, from my experience , most of these lads want a shorter course , flat, easier.

So horses for courses - But going out and playing The Heritage every day of the week, would not be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played Killeen Castle on Sunday. Lovely course with some great holes, lots of bunkers and good greens. Quite open. The whole course was in good condition.
    Long walk between the green and next tee on serveral holes. Designed for playing with buggies.
    Twas very quiet on Sunday morning - maybe because it was Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Played Killeen Castle on Sunday. Lovely course with some great holes, lots of bunkers and good greens. Quite open. The whole course was in good condition.
    Long walk between the green and next tee on serveral holes. Designed for playing with buggies.
    Twas very quiet on Sunday morning - maybe because it was Easter?

Tends to be quiet enough at times on Sundays and there was a comp on Saturday and today so that was probably why it was so quiet. Not that I'd say you were complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Played yesterday, the wind hurt on some of the holes, but the greens are a bit slow, thankfully as the green complexes are the most punitive maybe in the country, the pins were as hard as it gets.

Was off the whites so the approaches to the par 4's were easier, but literally if you don't know the greens well a good shot can end up being a bogey from a birdie chance. (I was too lazy to get out the app which shows the green undulations)

Oh yeah, on the par 3 14th, pulled slightly and was swallowed by the rough above the left green side bunker, only 10 feet to the pinwhich is almost vertical, no stance, no shot, two hacks at it , and then fell back into the bunker on the third hack which was a pure red mist swing, there is a bit of a drop in Jacks bunkers,

Good to get laughed at, should have taken an unplayable and made bogey, got scratch and a face full of sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Oh yeah, on the par 3 14th, pulled slightly and was swallowed by the rough above the left green side bunker, only 10 feet to the pinwhich is almost vertical, no stance, no shot, two hacks at it , and then fell back into the bunker on the third hack which was a pure red mist swing, there is a bit of a drop in Jacks bunkers,

Good to get laughed at, should have taken an unplayable and made bogey, got scratch and a face full of sand.

Same hole, different bunker, same horrible stance... and then he stitched it to a foot. He's a scratch golfer mind.
    sbosgj.jpg

Deep bunkers ok. Here's me in one of them (attached) - I think on the index 18 par 5 - 15th?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Does anyone know what the ownership structure is and what shape they're in financially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I wouldn't be willing to pay 2k for Killeen, rather play on a cheaper course and treat myself to a few rounds at other courses during the year.

Don't forget you'll have to pay competition fees also.

Another thing to consider is the other members what they're like, ie Salt of the earth sort or Very big in themselves

A tougher course may make if harder to get your handicap down although it would give you an advantage playing an open on an easier course.

• Advertisement

Played Killeen Castle again this morning. It really is a great course. It was in good condition. Bunkers freshly raked, good sand in them which made it good fun playing out of them - I was in far too many! The greens are execllent - so many undulations in them. No divots in the fairways.

Quiet again for a Sunday morning but made for a very relaxed round in a 2-ball.

I've only played it twice, both times on calm sunny Sundays, but I think it's my favourite course in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Played it on a Friday recently, there were 3 soc/groups out in one afternoon. So only one fourball of our group managed 18 holes.
    Having said that, the staff were all excellent, despite the pressure.

The course is a very typical Jack Nicklaus design -not long, but very difficult greens, tricky bunkers, but just a little too predictable for me ( first time)
    Almost every fairway has a set of bunkers each side, at 200-230yds. And another set greenside, depending on the lie of the land.
    But having said that, its still a nice layout, excellent condition also.
    Initially I did mention, i thought it looked like Moyvalley. Was proved wrong thank god! Apologies to all and sundry for my poor comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good weather coming to an end so I'm heading out there this afternoon, wonky knee and all, don't care if I have to be pushed around, I'm getting out.
    Lovely day for it...

Super course in tip top perfect condition, plenty of run on the ball on both fairway and rough, plenty of deep bunkers to avoid and vast greens with tricky reads. Instant top 10 course I've play, absolute joy and no one anywhere near us, bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Played this Sunday afternoon after the deluge of rain Sunday morning. Couldn't believe how well the course drained in a matter of minutes. Top class course and dry much underrated when it comes to its standing amongst signature courses.

Played Killeen Castle again this morning. It really is a great course. It was in good condition. Bunkers freshly raked, good sand in them which made it good fun playing out of them - I was in far too many! The greens are execllent - so many undulations in them. No divots in the fairways.

Quiet again for a Sunday morning but made for a very relaxed round in a 2-ball.

I've only played it twice, both times on calm sunny Sundays, but I think it's my favourite course in Ireland.

Above post from Sep 2014.

Played it again last Sunday in an Open comp. Got wonderful weather yet again. Not cheap at e50 and didn't shoot the lights out but really enjoyed playing it.

Condition of course was very good. Greens and tees in great condition. Fairways starting to show a few brown patches due to lack of rain recently.

Didn't feel long especially with the dry ground giving good run on the ball. The course has a lot of subtleties though which means it can punish you even though you've not hit a particularly bad shot - wrong club, wrong part of the green and such.

Gentleman who booked us in at the pro shop was pleasant and ran through things like tees to play off, placing etc and hoped we enjoyed our visit.
    It felt a bit busier than previous visits but not crowded and pace was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Yeah the price would put you off it a bit. Some courses around just as good for nearly half the price. Nice track though

Above post from Sep 2014.

Played it again last Sunday in an Open comp. Got wonderful weather yet again. Not cheap at e50 and didn't shoot the lights out but really enjoyed playing it.

Condition of course was very good. Greens and tees in great condition. Fairways starting to show a few brown patches due to lack of rain recently.

Didn't feel long especially with the dry ground giving good run on the ball. The course has a lot of subtleties though which means it can punish you even though you've not hit a particularly bad shot - wrong club, wrong part of the green and such.

Gentleman who booked us in at the pro shop was pleasant and ran through things like tees to play off, placing etc and hoped we enjoyed our visit.
    It felt a bit busier than previous visits but not crowded and pace was fine.
    Played Seniors Open here yesterday off the green tees. They had placing on fairways which was unecessary and largely unused by our 4-ball.

Once again a beautiful sunny Autumn day.
    Excellent course in fantastic condition. Fairways superb, bunkers deep but good consistent sand makes it feasible to play out of them. Greens were a little slower than usual but in great condition.
    At 35 euros for the open, it is excellent value for a stunning course.

As bonus was one of my playing partners having his first ever hole-in-one at the 14th. :)

Hole in one!
    Played an outing last week where a hole in one was a car!
    Lad I was playing with fancied his chances, he's had 4 holes in one, 4!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Killeen castle is a stunning course .
    I've driven from galway to play it 3 times .
    Each time it was in great Nick .
    A lot depends on what tees you play off .
    Forward tees are short .
    Greens are as good as you will get anywhere in Ireland .
    Clubhouse is superb.
    We have always got a very warm welcome at Killeen castle .
    It's one of my favourite course ps in Ireland .
    Wish I lived nearby and I would than play it regularly .
    It's one of the few courses in Ireland that I've played that I wouldn't get bored playing it weekly as a member .

Advertisement