Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

studying in scotland

Options
  • 17-08-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

im going into sixth year this year and really want to study pyscology in edinburgh, its just my mam and dad are not allowing me to move away , i am just wondering including the saas grant how much money i would need per year to live away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi Sarah,

I am going into my 3rd year of a Psychology degree in Edinburgh Napier University. While I really enjoy the course, and would recommend it, I do think it has been more expensive than I had originally anticipated. SAAS will cover your fees, but we do not qualify for any maintenance grants or loans, so all your living costs; accommodation, food, travel etc. will have to be covered by yourself.

I don't think its particularly more expensive than living in Dublin, however I have found the accommodation and bills to be hard to cover sometimes. Just bear in mind changing from Euros to Sterling is a pain, and you end up losing out. I am lucky enough to have BTEA, and use birthday and christmas money towards accommodation, but I am living off some savings I have in my Irish account as this does not cover me most weeks, it really doesn't go as far when changed to sterling.

However Edinburgh is a great city, lots of Irish students, and I would say it would easy enough to get a part time job. There are also ways to keep costs down, shop in lidl, student discounts etc.

This is a rough estimate from my Uni website about living costs:
    http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/edinburgh/Pages/LivingCosts.aspx

And about accommodation costs:
    http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/edinburgh/accommodation/Pages/Accommodation.aspx - Our flats have en suite or shared facilities, which cost from £101 - £125 per week. These costs include heating, electricity, internet and basic contents insurance.

Hope that helps x

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bubbles93

Hey Sarah! :)

I'm starting the 4 year BSc Psychology course in Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh in 3 weeks time. Like Nymeria said, SAAS will cover the fees but stuff like accommodation, currency change etc can be expensive enough. However, you can take out student loans. There are some banks in Scotland offering interest free loans especially for students. But really it won't work out much more than Dublin except the flights perhaps would be an added cost. I suggest you apply to both the CAO and UCAS system this year. Bear in mind that UCAS takes much longer as you need to get a reference and write up a personal statement. It also needs to be done sooner. I think early January/February is the cut off date. If you've any questions feel free to ask! :) and good luck this year!

Orla x

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Nymeria wrote: »
    Hi Sarah,
    SAAS will cover your fees, but we do not qualify for any maintenance grants or loans, so all your living costs; accommodation, food, travel etc. will have to be covered by yourself.

Also studying in Edinburgh Napier and have successfully applied for the irish maintenance grant.

Advertisement