Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah i paid only 6 euro for the Gandalf set turned out to be a great bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

The only problem with Tesco is they are so hit and miss with what they have. Not even on offer, the difference in stock one Tesco's will carry to the next is crazy.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah i paid only 6 euro for the Gandalf set turned out to be a great bargain :)

Yeah, you have to appreciate that that is the exception and not the rule. Lego is, unfortunately, very expensive and that applies even more so to licensed sets because of the fees that Lego has to pay the IP holders.

As mentioned above, Tesco and Argos do great clearance sales, but these only happen once or twice a year (typically in line with the release of new waves to clear the shelves - particularly during the summer).

If you shop online, it is inevitable that you will find something on discount if you don't need to have it the day it is released. Check out the European Amazon sites like amazon.fr, amazon.it, amazon.de etc. because the prices vary hugely between them. Check out this extremely handy guide that tracks Amazon prices:

http://www.brickset.com/buy/amazon/

Another thing worth doing is setting up an email alert on Adverts.ie which has a section dedicated to Lego and other building toys. I've picked up many a bargain there, but you have to be quick (shameless plug - I have a few things for sale at the moment).

For big purchases it can be worth paying the RRP on Lego's online shop if you have a VIP reward card. You get €5 for every €100 spent.

As an aside, it's crazy how quickly you become desensitised to the high prices. I remember when I just got back into Lego and there was a Creator set I wanted for €85. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, I thought it was an obscene amount to spend. Flash forward three years later and I'm weighing up the purchase of a €399 Super Star Destroyer :pac:

As an aside, it's crazy how quickly you become desensitised to the high prices. I remember when I just got back into Lego and there was a Creator set I wanted for €85. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, I thought it was an obscene amount to spend. Flash forward three years later and I'm weighing up the purchase of a €399 Super Star Destroyer :pac:

QFT, I'd love the SSD, but won't fork out €400 for it, hoping it drops in price at some point and I'll pick it up. I see Amazon.it once had it at just over €200, that would have been some deal to snag.

QFT, I'd love the SSD, but won't fork out €400 for it, hoping it drops in price at some point and I'll pick it up. I see Amazon.it once had it at just over €200, that would have been some deal to snag.

It's strange, I've been passive about the SSD for much of its life-span so far, but in the last couple of months the idea of owning it has taken hold of me. It's so hard to justify though, especially when you consider what you could get for the same money - that would probably get you three modular buildings on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TIL that if there's a ship I want, I can usually find it for cheaper on Bricklink if I can sacrifice not getting the minifigs.

And now my room will start running out of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well my Orc forge came yesterday. My wave 1 of Lotr sets is complete. Woot Woot! :D

DSC_0114_zps474167f0.jpg

Well my Orc forge came yesterday. My wave 1 of Lotr sets is complete. Woot Woot! :D
    You're gonna build them, right?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You're gonna build them, right?

Not sure yet. I am sort of thinking of keeping them in boxes. I have separate Lego for building and collection. All my Technic sets are for building though.

I know for sure, if I do get The Tower, then I am 100% building that b****!

Every unbuilt Lego set sitting on a shelf makes baby Jesus weep.

• Advertisement

He wouldn't want to look under my bed so...

Its good thing, that I am atheist! :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Isn't major profiteering on Adverts forbidden?

The whole 41999 release seems like some debacle. TLG are trying to stop reselling with one hand and then fuelling it with another.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Isn't major profiteering on Adverts forbidden?

Given that the set isn't available at the RRP any more, and folks are willing to pay, sellers can put their own price on an item

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&q=41999&sz=10&searchSort=P
    ~375euro seems to be the median price.

:pac:

Well that went out of control fast. :( So no way of me owning one now and I was so looking forward to it... Lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Yea, same here, they are even looking for mad money for the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Seriously, £35 for the DeLorean set????

Treadhead wrote: »

Not very good one at that too...

I was really excited about it, but when I sow it after "cusoo touch", I just forgot that set exist...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Treadhead wrote: »

It's very steep for what basically comprises two minifigs, a skateboard and a car. Yes, I know the car can be changed around but surely Lego would have thrown in two DeLoreans for that price?

I won't be rushing out to get it, that's for sure.

I want to like it, it's such an iconic piece of pop culture history, but I'm having a hard time looking past its deficiencies. The hood is just horrible. I think the BTTF III version looks the best out of a mediocre bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

LEGO is expensive, licences sets are very expensive but they seem to have created a new category of "grossly over-priced" for this pretty poor set, which as Necronomicon says could have been so much better. Not on my wishlist anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

on the slight OT off chance anyone is playing GTA5 - there is a Lego crew setup

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/gta_lego_crew

For the Superheroes afficionados, photos of Batgirl and Nightwing have been leaked, due for release in 2014:

I was waiting for this to hit the Lego store for ages, but that price!!! WTF?! :eek:

http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/Power-Functions-Servo-Motor-88004?fromListing=listing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I was waiting for this to hit the Lego store for ages, but that price!!! WTF?! :eek:

http://shop.lego.com/en-IE/Power-Functions-Servo-Motor-88004?fromListing=listing
    I suppose if you made up one from existing parts and a standard motor you would have something way bulkier and cost almost as much. Maybe not but it would still be somewhere along the way towards costing as much.
    The alternative is an NXT setup.....:cool:

Looks like Lego.com got some older Technic sets back up. I am really Thinking of getting second 4x4 crawler for pure Mocing about. I dont want to pull apart my current one as it is the biggest and coolest display model of mines.

I guess Crane will stick around for longer and maybe someday I can pick it up on sale on amazon.

Anyone knows if Lotr Tower will ever go on amazon? Surely it should stick around for some time?

Anyone knows if Lotr Tower will ever go on amazon? Surely it should stick around for some time?

That'll definitely be around for two years I reckon. And yeah - should appear on Amazon at some point, the exclusives only stay exclusive on S@H for a couple of months.

• Advertisement

Shadow, Smyths have the 4x4 for 125 at the moment.

None of the 2013 exclusives seem to be on Amazon yet, I'm still waiting on the X-Wing to pop up at a good price.

Advertisement